[2.1.0] Rolling Flames Fireball - 230% AoE Explosions

Video Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pnsdbJEAfU

Introduction:

Ever since I first played PoE back in closed beta I loved the concept of Fireball. Sadly, it's been a very long time since it has been considered viable, mainly due to a combination of power creep and fireball's mechanics not allowing it to clear things in a decent fashion.

With the introduction of patch 2.1.0 GGG added threshhold jewels, one of which is rolling flames:

With this jewel, we can gain enough AoE that fireball's explosions can overlap and actually shotgun (the projectiles can no longer shotgun, but the explosions still can!). This allows us to easily clear through content with GMP by effectively multiplying our damage by 3.5 (5 projectiles * 30% less damage)

Between 4 of these jewels and 30% increased AoE from the witch and templar trees, we end up with 230% Increased Area of Effect. Even after we use Concentrated Effect, the 25% Less AoE Multiplier leaves us with a whopping 172% AoE, which is more than enough to still overlap all 5 explosions.

Pros:
-Decent clear speed
-High health/ES pool (currently at 3910 Life and 3936 ES)
-Fun to play
-Easy to level and easy to gear
-Good end-game scaling options (doesn't fall flat at any point)

Cons:
-Only Arctic Armour for mitigation, can be squishy if not played right
-Needs a good amount of level before it REALLY takes off with the Jewels
-Dragon MTX can cause lag in large parties if you use it

The Build

Passive Tree @ Level 86
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwYARXwsRjy9UEKMNlVLYeImlRa_B2PLvVRHpr6exF3yKwoRLwMeH0HjhBvIz93xijY9napsjGKsUzWTJ--I-TfXz0mxvoqhL8rTbAsi9G0ZEVA1uacr2VsbJUuu6QLfipf0UlM9X5eVTLPQH-_rOw0RD6yYdFVfKjpYVcaD2y2LH8creCycVa5Eq4-mghDfsBBYh2URLXyD6-6a4EWdU1Ic3I8ajr64kzLRRUfAZgSzogDwH2jyPAXvfJ_fmjuCm-081absOClPhXtmVJRvcg9mnjrYJy-QVRo4

Bandits:
-Oak
-Kill All
-Kill All

For the most part we are just grabbing generic Life, Energy Shield, Mana, and Spell/Ele damage.

For the Rolling Flames jewels, we need 50 int in a medium radius. This leaves 5 main spots to fit these in. Because of the very unfortunate placement of certain int nodes, we need to have a few int nodes hanging out in the middle of nowhere to activate the jewels.

If you want, you can cut out one of the 4 Rolling Flames to get some extra leeway, but be careful because if your AoE drops too low you'll be less likely to shotgun your explosions and your damage and clear speed will drop off a lot.

NOTE: Crit is not all that viable with this build because it requires too many points to works properly and getting your crit above ~60% will most likely leave you too squishy. Also, going crit means you won't want to use Controlled Destruction which is a big damage loss.

Gems:

Main Links:
Fireball - GMP - Spell Echo - Conc Effect

5L:
Fireball - GMP - Spell Echo - Conc Effect - Controlled Destruction

6L:
Fireball - GMP - Spell Echo - Conc Effect - Controlled Destruction - Faster Casting/Fire Pen/Empower

The Gear

Armour:
-Life
-Resistance
-As much energy shield as you can get

Accessories:
-Life
-Resistance
-Energy Shield
-Cast speed/Fire damage if you can afford it

Wands:
-Spell/Fire Damage
-Adds x-x Damage to Spells
-Cast Speed

Optionals:

-+1 to fire gems is a lot of damage
-%Increased Fire Damage
-Decent ES
-Fire->Chaos conversion helps a little with resistant mobs and reflect
-CON: if you use all 3 of the mentioned auras then you will be subject to the "100% Increased Spell Damage Taken" So be aware of this if you go this route!

Lategame:
6L +3 to gems staff would both add a ton of damage (especially with Empower) and allow you to drop your chest if you wanted and grab a Kaom's Heart for a lot more life and fire damage.

Another option that has been mentioned to me a lot is a pledge of hands. This will help a ton with your mana issues due to it's mana mod, but won't be as strong damage-wise as a +3 staff.
Last edited by Shaard on Dec 19, 2015, 2:34:10 AM
Last bumped on Jul 11, 2016, 11:29:56 AM
I am not sure how this works, but isnt infernal mantle dangerous, considering you are always on low mana?
Looks really awesome, but how did you level it? I'm assuming just flame totem lameness till you can get all the appropriate aoe and jewel clusters...

Edit: Also, you say 5 jewel clusters but I can't see the fifth? The one over at shadow doesn't have 50 available int.. am I missing one? You've got far left templar, left and right scion branch, witch.. where is the fifth that can get the int?
Last edited by Pathological on Dec 18, 2015, 4:38:20 PM
"
Pathological wrote:
Looks really awesome, but how did you level it? I'm assuming just flame totem lameness till you can get all the appropriate aoe and jewel clusters...

Edit: Also, you say 5 jewel clusters but I can't see the fifth? The one over at shadow doesn't have 50 available int.. am I missing one? You've got far left templar, left and right scion branch, witch.. where is the fifth that can get the int?

There is 50 int there. He just doesn't have it selected on his tree. There are 4 10int nodes and there's a keystone that gives 10 int as well in the range of the jewel. The build only calls for 4 Rolling Flames jewels though I suppose you could add the 5th one there.
"
Zczu wrote:
"
Pathological wrote:

There is 50 int there. He just doesn't have it selected on his tree. There are 4 10int nodes and there's a keystone that gives 10 int as well in the range of the jewel. The build only calls for 4 Rolling Flames jewels though I suppose you could add the 5th one there.

You're totally right, I'm an idiot lol.
Looks really cool - can we see a gameplay video?
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
Hey,
ur build looks cool ill try it atm ;), just having 1 question .. how do u get 50 int in notes at the first jewelnode in shadow area ? or im just silly and dont see it :P?

rip english not nativ sorry
Video guide was made last night, I just forgot to post it. It's up now.

To answer a few question:

1) I mentioned that there are 5 possible spots to fit in Rolling Flames (without using some trickery in the scion area), but as Zczu said this build only calls for 4, so I only have 4. I should have been more clear and that is my mistake.

2) I actually leveled with fireball itself. LMP fireball levels decently well with a +1 sceptre. It's not the fastest, but me and my friend were in the top 50 up to around level 70 when talisman first started so it's not too bad :)

3) Yes, being on low mana makes you permanently take the 100% spell damage from infernal mantle. This is a huge defense danger if you don't position well when dealing with spells, and something I should have mentioned.
Last edited by Shaard on Dec 19, 2015, 2:31:19 AM
I normally don't post on builds that i use but i just wanted to say this is an awesome guide. When i first saw these jewels i was wanting to use them but i suck at creating my own builds. I followed your tree last night, and in a night i was able to hit 43 just by using fire ball from level 1. I was able to get my first jewel in at around 18 and my second jewel in around 35. I noticed a huge difference. Early on you have to try to kill mobs off screen if you can, it helps a lot.

Also if you want to see the path i took. I decided to go witch instead of Shadow. Here is my current tree.

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwMAB2MRDxFQFr8bJR_HIvQmlSsKLEYtizW5Olg7DTy9PV9JsUuuTLNQQlJTUzVUR1VLVcZd8mHibAttGYw2kyeXlZf0nsShL6a-pyusmL6KytPLvdAf18_ZW9-K6QLviO_r-Tc=?accountName=Naguny&characterName=My_Balls_Are_On_Fire
Last edited by Naguny on Dec 19, 2015, 9:23:07 AM
"
Naguny wrote:
I normally don't post on builds that...

Glad I was able to help you get you rolling on it. Remember that my build may not be the most 100% perfect setup for you, so be sure to experiment a bit with gems/items/etc. to find what you enjoy the most!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info