PC servers are restarting in:
They should be back up in approximately .
Xbox servers are restarting in:
Sony servers are restarting in:

2.1 HC: EB/MoM/ZO Bladefall Poison Trapper (3c Startup Cost)

Purpose of the build: Cheap, effective character for start of a HC league that will scale well into late game (level 90+).

This build is effectively finished with the exception to very late game damage scaling. The option to go to some crit nodes, or focus solely on scaling physical and poison will come later after some more math.

You should be able to purchase Sunblast, Deerstalkers, and Jaws of Agony for 1c each.

Will record videos to show a demo of the build (currently at 82 and too low to run anything noteworthy).

Stats with this build (at level 88 if taking 2 skillpoints):
Spoiler
Defense:
+174 Max life
+188% Maximum Life
+13% All Resists
+20% Chaos Res
+30% Increased effect of Flasks
+57% Max Energy Shield

Offense (Bladefall/beartrap will scale in some way from all of these except the elemental damage):
183% increased Physical Damage
86% Increased Chaos Damage
37% Damage over Time
20% Increased Radius of Area Skills
50% Increased Area Damage
Gain 5% of Physical damage as extra Chaos damage
20% Increased Elemental damage
26% Increased Spell Damage
174% increased Trap Damage
40% Increased Critical Strike Chance

Skill Tree at Endgame:
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwYABAcEswW1BnAHHgjUC2EOSA5cES8RlhXtFm8WvxpsHNwfAiBuJKomlSsKLR8yGDLRNZI2PTbFNuk6WDrhPAU8LT1fRUdFfkWdSVFMs03jTp9QMFJTUzFTUlS9VUtVxlxAXfJh4mKsZKpo8mo2aoxq-mwIbIxwUXX9dm96f36wf8aCHoNfg8yD24RvhTKKBow2jxqP-pUglS6Wi5eVmuCbhp2qna6iAKKjotmmV6cIr2yw2LMDtMW1SLc-t3XAZsHzwuzGrsgU0B_UQtW52CTYVNi92wvb5-Nq62Pr7uwY7hXvfO_r8B_w1fD58YryRfVv98H-Cv6P

Bandits: Oak/Kill all/Kill all or help oak for the extra endurance charge.

Levelling:
Spoiler

Start with Firetrap in a +1 scepter. It's also good to look out for a Black Maw talisman to use your choice of Beartrap/Flame totem in it. I'd recommend leveling bear trap as you'll still use the gem from ~50-70.

29 points:
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwYAES8WvyaVKwoyGDY9UzFVS2HiYqxqjGyMcFF1_XZvfrCEb52qotmw2LMDtMW1SMgU1ELYVNvn62P1bw==

43 points:
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwYABx4OSBEvEZYWvyaVKwoyGDY9SVFTMVVLXfJh4mKsZKpqNmqMbIxwUXX9dm9-sIRvj_qVLpuGnaqi2bDYswO0xbVIt3XIFNRC2FTb5-tj7BjuFfDV9W8=

At this point we work towards using EB/MoM/ZO, be sure to get a chest piece with some decent ES and turn on Discipline.

64 points:
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwYABAcHHg5IES8Rlha_GmwfAiaVKwotHzIYNj02xTpYSVFMs1MxVUtVxl3yYeJirGSqajZqjGyMcFF1_XZvfrB_xoIeg9uEb4Uyj_qVIJUum4adqp2uoqOi2acIsNizA7TFtUi3dcHzyBTUQtgk2FTbC9vn62Pr7uwY7hXw1fVv98E=

From here, you work towards the scion lifewheel.

86 points:
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwYABAcEswceC2EOSBEvEZYWvxpsHwImlSsKLR8yGDLRNZI2PTbFOlg64TwtRUdJUUyzTeNTMVVLVcZd8mHiYqxkqmjyajZqjGyMcFF1_XZvfrB_xoIeg1-DzIPbhG-FMo_6lSCVLpuGnaqdrqIAoqOi2aZXpwivbLDYswO0xbVItz63dcBmwfPGrsgU1ELYJNhU2L3bC9vn62Pr7uwY7hXwH_DV8kX1b_fB_gr-jw==

Once we have the basic framework laid out, we look to pickup the available life nodes from the tree, followed by the increased AoE nodes, and finally the additional physical damage nodes back on the shadow side. This is when you are transitioning to maps, so survivability is your top priority, followed by the increased AoE for better clearspeed. NOTE: The fatal toxins node should probably be taken right after you get the eb/mom/zo nodes to aid your clearspeed, but only if your gear allows for it. You don't want to gimp your defensives too badly.

108 points, build essentially complete:
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwYABAcEswW1BnAHHgthDkgRLxGWFe0Wbxa_GmwfAiSqJpUrCi0fMhgy0TWSNj02xTbpOlg64TwFPC09X0VHRZ1JUUyzTeNOn1JTUzFTUlS9VUtVxlxAXfJh4mKsZKpo8mo2aoxsjHBRdf12b3p_frB_xoIeg1-DzIPbhG-FMo_6lSCVLpaLl5Wa4JuGnaqdrqIAoqOi2aZXpwivbLDYswO0xbVItz63dcBmwfPC7MauyBTUQtW52CTYVNi92wvb5-Nq62Pr7uwY7hXvfPAf8NXyRfVv98H-Cv6P

To round out the build, you have the option of taking the crit nodes along your path, or pathing for extra life or the Master Sapper node.

Primary Links:
Spoiler

In Deerstalker Boots: Bladefall+Multitrap+Trap and Mine Damage+Poison

In Jaws of Agony: Trap and Mine Damage+Poison+Void Manipulation

4L: CWDT+IC+Enfeeble+Increased Duration

3L: Whirling Blades+Fortify+Faster Attacks

Misc Links: Enduring Cry+Increased Duration
Flame Golem, Hatred, Discipline, Vaal Discipline and a second Vaal Disc/Vaal Grace should take up the remaining slots.

*Important gems to get quality on*-- NO mandatory quality gems are needed. Mostly just look to increase the quality on Bladefall. Since this one trap is your only source of AoE damage, it is important to get the most out of every set of traps laid. Getting the increased AoE is pretty big in improving your clearspeed in maps.

Gearing:
Spoiler
Gearing this build is relatively simple. As you acquire the 'required' uniques you should use them right away. Late game it would make sense to take your bladefall trap out of the deerstalker boots and replace them with generic boots with good life+resists nodes in addition to 30% movespeed. Then you would house your bladefall setup in your chest.

Endgame items:

Eventually you will drop the deerstalker boots, use bladefall in a 5/6L chest, and use Bino's with the Southbound gloves. This allows you to run your beartrap as both a pseudo aoe trap along with bladefall. Not sure if they'll nerf/fix the way the prolif seems to be stacking, but with this setup you'll definitely relieve some downtime issues.

That being said, the biggest damage increase will be coming from the (not surprisingly) talisman slot. Theres a few option you could look out for here. Eyes of the Greatwolf will give a good balance of damage and survivability, and Natural Hierarchy is just nuts. I would suggest taking that and finding a way to fit in all of your resists.

Link to character:
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Loi/characters

Opinion on jewels:
Spoiler
This seems to be one build where stretching yourself out for extra jewel nodes may not be the best option. Your ideal jewel will have Trap Damage, AoE, Physical Damage, and if possible Damage over time. I'm not positive if it's even possible for jewels to roll with the trap/phys/aoe in addition to health, but there aren't many nodes that could be sacrificed reaching for more jewel slots outside of the witch and shadow area, so you'd effectively have 3 total if you wanted to sacrifice some life/had good stats on gear.

Last edited by Loi on Jan 3, 2016, 10:53:03 AM
I think you have a solid take on the build. I really wanted to go acro and forgo the witch area completely, but it was leaving me with very little life and some of the options down there aren't too hot so nothing on the calculator was looking very promising. Add to that the headache of managing mana with the cost of traps and not being able to 100% reserve your mana, and it's probably just not worth it. I'm SC so I'll probably skip the Scion wheel, but there's lots of goodies in Witch/Templar area to grab still. Melding is looking very tempting so I can drop some ES on gear for ease of gearing.

Speaking of low level, anyone thinking of running this can feel free to go with Poison gem out of the gate. Some of the other threads were mentioning running added fire instead, which you certainly can. You still one shot everything with the Poison gem, and anything you don't dies right afterwards. I haven't been able to play as much as I'd like to this week, but this might be one of the more enjoyable leveling experiences I've had. It's downright comedy sometimes and I look forward to leveling it higher.

Great job!
Last edited by JoeODanger on Dec 18, 2015, 2:35:06 AM
Just started mapping. Everything with the build has been going fine. Almost ripped to Bameth who spawned in the Pit boss room.

All merc act bosses were a breeze. Not sure if I trust myself to solo malachai, but I will look into recording some maps soon.

The only thing I'm still unsure of is whether or not to take a trap gem with % AoE or DoT. Same for talisman, I think a % Chaos base might scale better late game than phys would. Will work out the math soon. Currently preferring the former since the focus of the build is to oneshot as many things as you can with one trap cast. Increased AoE/damage is important for that. At max level however the DoT may end up being better damage with the way it scales in this tree.
Last edited by Loi on Dec 21, 2015, 9:24:22 AM
So, im running your build, im just in act 4 normal but i wanna know what kind of you gear you have, or how i would craft myself some gear, what i need to propertise
Link to my profile is here:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Loi/characters

You can also click on anyone's name to view their characters.

Crafting gear yourself while leveling is a waste of currency in most cases.

By act 4 you should be able to have gotten enough currency to at least buy Deerstalker boots.

Your other option is to take an item that has enough linked sockets, and hope for a lucky alc or just alteration spam to get a life+resist roll (I really suggest you shop for your gear but it shouldn't be an issue in normal, if you're not res capped or comfortable buy your malachai kill).

just use poe.trade for your gear, but again it shouldn't be hard to do in normal/cruel. I bought gear in act 4 cruel to cap my resists (I personally like to solo all of my act bosses) and again at level 70. Once you are using deerstalker/sunblast/jaws of agony your really need to make sure that you have good gear to cap your resists from the other pieces.

I paid 2c for my chest and got a lucky 5L out of it, but don't really have a need for it atm.
your profile is private
Fixed.
Hey, really like your build. Just one thing that worries me.
I feel kinda slow clearing a map... Only having one Trap for clearing a pack and the high CD feels so slow! Any suggestion for a second trap setup?
Is there any specific nodes you rushed when leveling like fatal toxins, force shaper, etc?
The build doesn't play similar to a regular trapper build. It's more about making the most out of your limited traps (or at least this is my mindset with the build). It's important to group mobs as best as you can, and later in the game you pick up the aoe nodes on the tree.

I've been thinking about running EK as well but can't find a place for it. Enduring cry+cwdt setup seem more important, along with whirling blades setup.

The damage is really good. I can only see it being an issue in a group later into maps where the inability to spam would start hurting the build.

Important passives that I picked up were the early trap nodes in the shadow side of the tree, then get the eb/mom/zo combo around 50 or so. Then take the scion life wheel, followed by the aoe nodes (where I'm at currently).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info