[2.1] FROSTBITE - Fast paced, High DPS, Strong Defenses Frostblades build

"
Nermango wrote:
Hey, I've tried your build up to level 75, and DPS seems alright, but survival seems lackluster. I tried to respec the tree for a dual wield sword focused build, could you look at my tree and my items to tell me how to improve? Much appreciated! My IGN is Klytta in SC talisman, any help would be cool :D

Passive tree: https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwQAAAYAXgIRAycFLQVmBbUGIAaiCC4JWA2NEdUTUBR1FewV9hfcGNsZjiFgIuoj9iSdJP0ppS5TMHw17zfUOu1DMUSeRNJHfkkPTP9NklFHU7tW-leXWHVei2BBYlpieWNwZU1vJ3SgdO108XfXeu99dYFBg72E2YrwjX2Nv5pqo4qj57kdvTa-p7_VwYvDOsqQzerPCtNv037T_NRS1ljYYNrB26fd5-Cf51To1ulG6xTtP-2D7g7vevzF_rr_3g==?accountName=Nermango&characterName=Klytta

Items: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Nermango/characters

Hi there, your profile is set to private so I couldn't check your items.

Your tree looks very reasonable.How is it fairing with the reduction of critical strike chance (by switching from dagger to sword)? How much block and maximum life did you got from it?

The only thing I would consider changing would be the amount of mana related nodes. Perhaps, the constant usage of hybrid flask, or pure mana flasks, could fix your mana issues, leaving you with 5 additional passive points. Also, do your best to fill Attributes reqs with gear. Those Int/Str nodes are precious.

Additionally, you could also consider Vaal Pact, drop regen related nodes and Blood Rage. Vaal Pact is really a nice addition to survivability.

Let me know when you get your approach to a stable version. I´ll add to the OP if you´ll like me to.
Quick update:

• I dropped Melee Physical Damage Support gem. Instead, I'll be using Added fire damage. Reason below:

"Increasing the melee portion of the hit through melee-exclusive means such as Melee Physical Damage will not actually increase the projectile damage; the projectile damage is not "converted melee damage", a common misconception. Do not be deceived by the tooltip DPS of this skill which will change if you apply a melee-exclusive modifier; the tooltip DPS only shows the DPS of the melee portion of the attack and things that modify that, but not the projectile part of the attack.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Lightning_strike

So yeah, the tooltip DPS will drop without Melee physical damage (and so will your first, non AOE, strike), but the actual projectile damage will raise. If you prefer to have more DPS on a single target, than ignore this advice.

• Based on overall feedback, I've also replaced some DPS related nodes with survival ones (mostly Life and Evasion). Being playing with this new build for a while now. You'll miss some significant part of the DPS (almost 30%). I'm still not sure how I few about this, because I just got 500+ HP from this change. Yet, it feels a bit more sturdy.

I won't be updating the OP yet. It needs more testing. Let me know if you guys have some insight on this matter.

The new tree I'm using:

Hey man, I have some suggestions for your build. I like the Chidori theme but some areas in your build are a bit inefficient.

1. Abyssus doesn't affect your projectiles. So since you are a ranged lightning strike build, even though it makes your tooltip higher, the critical strike multiplier is to the melee part only. I recommend replacing it with something like Rat's nest. This way, you can run Bloodrage a bit safer as well.

2. Since you are going physical to lightning, I highly recommend replacing added fire damage with lightning penetration. You will see a very strong improvement in DPS, especially against mobs that have elemental resistance, as well as bosses.

3. Use lightning coil over daresso's, if you can afford a 6L coil. Lightning coil is the no.1 armour of choice in the game atm because of how strong monster physical damage is.

4. Also on your tree, you grab some 'melee' physical damage nodes, which don't affect your projectiles at all. I suggest dropping them as well as pathing through the fury bolts area. I also highly recommend picking up the Frenzy and jewel slots. Jewels will give you a lot of damage.

5. Also, pick up 0.4% mana leech from the tree and that will solve all your mana problems and you will clear a lot smoother as well. You can then drop your hybrid flasks for seething divine and eternal flasks.

6. You don't really need vaal pact, since reflect got nerfed very hard. Just carry a topaz flask for reflect mobs and you will be fine. Otherwise if you still want to go Vaal pact, don't grab master of the arena.

The only downside with these changes, is that your tooltip will drop, but your actual DPS will be a lot higher.

If you have the time, I suggest also asking people on www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile. The people on there are usually the top 10% of PoE players, so you can ask them for advice on things.
Last edited by cookees on Dec 26, 2015, 5:47:10 AM
"
Supreme_Pizza wrote:
Hey man, I have some suggestions for your build. I like the Chidori theme but some areas in your build are a bit inefficient.

1. Abyssus doesn't affect your projectiles. So since you are a ranged lightning strike build, even though it makes your tooltip higher, the critical strike multiplier is to the melee part only. I recommend replacing it with something like Rat's nest. This way, you can run Bloodrage a bit safer as well.

2. Since you are going physical to lightning, I highly recommend replacing added fire damage with lightning penetration. You will see a very strong improvement in DPS, especially against mobs that have elemental resistance, as well as bosses.

3. Use lightning coil over daresso's, if you can afford a 6L coil. Lightning coil is the no.1 armour of choice in the game atm because of how strong monster physical damage is.

4. Also on your tree, you grab some 'melee' physical damage nodes, which don't affect your projectiles at all. I suggest dropping them as well as pathing through the fury bolts area. I also highly recommend picking up the Frenzy and jewel slots. Jewels will give you a lot of damage.

5. Also, pick up 0.4% mana leech from the tree and that will solve all your mana problems and you will clear a lot smoother as well. You can then drop your hybrid flasks for seething divine and eternal flasks.

6. You don't really need vaal pact, since reflect got nerfed very hard. Just carry a topaz flask for reflect mobs and you will be fine. Otherwise if you still want to go Vaal pact, don't grab master of the arena.

The only downside with these changes, is that your tooltip will drop, but your actual DPS will be a lot higher.

If you have the time, I suggest also asking people on www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile. The people on there are usually the top 10% of PoE players, so you can ask them for advice on things.

Such wonderful amount of good advice. Thanks for taking the time and posting it here man.

I've being doing some research on the "physical dmg don't affect projectiles" thing. But haven't noticed that Abyssus crit was purely directed to melee. Stupid me.

Concerning Vaal Pact, I mainly use for fast recovery, which make up for my slow gaming reflexes (it gives me the ability to withstand some relatively good facetanking). Would it still be a good idea to head back to normal leeching based on my lack of quick response gameplay?
You might want to consider also using physical projectile attack damage as your are doing projectile damage. It will not show in the DPS tooltip again because over there you only have the melee portion of the damage
Does having Vaal Pact basically invalidate the regen Binos gives? I am not sure, but I think it might.

Though I like supreme_pizza's tips. I actually use his own variant of a Hyacon's 1H+Shield Lightning Strike build on a 85 templar and I find it pretty nice.
Made a lot of adjustments on the build. It feels more reliable now. Thanks for all the support guys! I've updated the OP to reflect these changes, except for Vaal Pact (which is still present on the OP, while I am experimenting without it, temporary, for comparison purposes. The temporary build is https://goo.gl/9YNFSM).

I just did a quick run on a level 77 map (Plateau) to experiment with some (potentially stupid) idea: using 3 Heralds (instead of 1 herald + 1 aura). DPS seemed the same, but I'm not sure how it all works together. I wonder if HoI exploding mobs actually refreshes HoF overkill damage.

Anyway, there goes the link of the run: https://youtu.be/E6a0SCzPCi4

Looking forward for your feedback.

Have you tried Atziri yet? would this build be viable?
"
shiodas wrote:
Have you tried Atziri yet? would this build be viable?

I haven't tested man. I actually never fought Atziri (never took the time to gather sacrifices).

The maximum extend of my tests were level 77 maps (working fine on those).

If you ever get the chance to acquire these 2 items:

30% lightning leech from the flask.
200% life leech applied as damage from the belt.

So technically, you'll be doing 60% more damage while the flask is active. Insta-gib bosses.

So a 400k LS becomes a 640k LS for 5 seconds.

I would also like to make another suggestion:

Instead of the usual HoT-CoH-AM combo for power charges, how about adding

Spectral throw
GMP
LMP/FP
PCoC

So you can maintain pwr charges just by throwing a spectral throw before your LS.

That way, you are free to use conductivity or ele weakness as your main curse. This, combined with light pen, will lower enemy light resistance deep into the negatives, even to bosses and other players.

Loving the progress mate.
So many strikes within one breath.
But only one strike needed, for certain death.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info