Essence Drain

"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
PopeJo wrote:
suggestion 1: "cherubim's maleficience" unique chest has increased chaos and damage life leech. that leech should be made to work with the ED leech mechanic.

Essence Drain does not offer Leech, it grants Life Regeneration. That's why the description explicitly mentions the word Regeneration, and never uses the term Leech.
Leech only works with flat Damage, not with Damage over Time.

ED does have a "leech mechanic", because the life you regenerate is increased by the damage you deal. Obviously it is not "leech" in the strict GGG wording - if it were I could not have made the suggestion it should be made to work in the first place.

so mindlessly vomiting wiki-info into this forum makes you a valued poster? :o

are you replying to every post that says "MF" and complain it is not "magic" farming actually, but only IIQ and IIR?

have a nice day, and please make more valued posts.
"Obviously it is not "leech" in the strict GGG wording"
Exactly. So why would it be improved by Increased Leech Rate, if it's not Leech.

Have a nice day, and please make more sensible suggestions.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"Obviously it is not "leech" in the strict GGG wording"
Exactly. So why would it be improved by Increased Leech Rate, if it's not Leech.

Have a nice day, and please make more sensible suggestions.

I suggested making the leech mechanic from ED work with the leech bonuses from "cherubim's maleficience". "how can this be done" you ask? "but leech is not regen" you say? oh, fear not my friend, this can be done for example by changing ED from this debuff nonsense to do normal leech, or by changing "cherubim's maleficience" to offer increased regen of debuff damage ... or by other creative ways. you see - there is still hope! together we can change the world in exile!
Last edited by PopeJo on Mar 1, 2016, 3:33:45 AM
i think there are 3 problems with essence drain

1. projectile speed is way too slow
2. there is no way to leech / regen with it (lifeleech gem is useless i think it only regens from initial hit)
3. no aoe without contagion. This part is especially apparent in party play where mobs have enough hp to survive so while all the other players are doing lots of aoe dps im waiting for one mob to drop down in hp so i too can AOE but by that time all the other mobs are killed by my party. Its just a bad mechanic.

All of this relegates this skill on solo play. In there it shines because of good dps but again it's an all or nothing sort of skill. If you cant bring down one mob fast enough it just doesnt do enough. I think contagion should change mechanic automatically spread dots around an area when cast.
"
Fistaniderya wrote:

2. there is no way to leech / regen with it (lifeleech gem is useless i think it only regens from initial hit)
3. no aoe without contagion. This part is especially apparent in party play where mobs have enough hp to survive so while all the other players are doing lots of aoe dps im waiting for one mob to drop down in hp so i too can AOE but by that time all the other mobs are killed by my party. Its just a bad mechanic.

All of this relegates this skill on solo play. In there it shines because of good dps but again it's an all or nothing sort of skill. If you cant bring down one mob fast enough it just doesnt do enough. I think contagion should change mechanic automatically spread dots around an area when cast.

1. It's not too slow it's just not fast.
2. You get 0.5% life regen per mob it's on which means to get life back from it you need it to spread.
3. You're not meant to have any AoE without contagion, I do agree the issue is that it doesn't mobs fast enough unless you have every dps mode you can get that scales with contagion in group play which is somewhat an issue but it's just a lack of scaling with nodes.

I like the play style of relying on Contagion to spread your Essence Drain and having entire packs die. I still can do this in 1-3 player groups pretty easily but after 3 people it gets pretty hard to keep it spreading other than putting it on the initial mobs your group is going to hit so it spreads that way.
"
NetherPrime wrote:
"
Fistaniderya wrote:

1. It's not too slow it's just not fast.
2. You get 0.5% life regen per mob it's on which means to get life back from it you need it to spread.
3. You're not meant to have any AoE without contagion, I do agree the issue is that it doesn't mobs fast enough unless you have every dps mode you can get that scales with contagion in group play which is somewhat an issue but it's just a lack of scaling with nodes.

I like the play style of relying on Contagion to spread your Essence Drain and having entire packs die. I still can do this in 1-3 player groups pretty easily but after 3 people it gets pretty hard to keep it spreading other than putting it on the initial mobs your group is going to hit so it spreads that way.

1. when mobs are fast enough to dodge your projectile, it is too slow. I dont like to lead ffs, and i'm not even using slower projectiles.
2. That %0.5 is such a low number, it is unnoticable. I play as LL+RF and i have 40k dps on essence drain yet on bosses it is nowhere near enough especially if boss is one of those murderous bastards.
3. That mechanic itself is big problem, in group play generally mobs die in similar timing. If you need one of them to die to to do aoe dmg, then you're not gonna pull your weight. Not to mention it feels clunky. Sure it's really amazing in solo, but it's the worst skill i've used in group play bar none.
"
kruemel2222 wrote:
Having a blast with the essence drain/contagion combo. Really nice to have a skill combo.

One question: If I wanted to use the IIR gem, should I link it to essence drain or contagion? I feel like it should be linked to essence drain since it deals way more damage, which means it is more likely to kill stuff.

Don't find the answer. Up.
"Отрастил скилл - имеешь право ногибать" СерБ
Hello there, I have a simple question I haven't yet found an answer too.

Does increased aoe only increase the radius of the initial contagion, or also the radius of the spead effect ?

thx.

ps: yeah the dmg is realy low, I have a 5L now with 4 "more" dmg gems, EACH chaos/degen node + some projectile dmg on the tree as well as shavs lowlife. Guess need 6L to get lvl 24 gem to be only slightly worse then an average equipped crit/ellemental overload caster. ( even when solo, ofc absolute useless in party )
ign: UpForJava
Last edited by Upforsale on Mar 13, 2016, 2:11:23 PM
The build I am working on for a new alt aims to circumvent the above mentioned problems with ED.

1. Scion - Deadeye/Occultist
Key being 50% base pierce with extra projectile. Support ED with Pierce gem and LMP, spray it and dot up the entire screen, throw in some Contagions after that to ensure you get the ones who didn't get hit by the volley.

2. Blasphemy - Temp Chains (Optional Vulnerability)
Basically kite and dot.

Happened to have a Winds of Change glove, with another Projectile speed node the projectile should be more than fast enough.

Still low level but I think it should work well.
More fixes to this skill will follow on Monday!

LIES LIES LIES! 3 hours to go GGG. Wooohooooo! Will you do it this time?

WILL IT BE FIXED? Or will it be more broken than before? We never now!

I bought a mystery box to solve this mystery! But they didnt said which monday....

No for real. Can you please do something now. How many people are working in your Office on this One Skill to make it finally work?
GGG QoL Feature of the Year! SKILLTREE AND FRIENDS SEARCH!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info