Essence Drain

I also thought about using trap with essence drain, can we please get a confirmation if this is a bug or intentional since contagion does work with trap.
wondering about the trap think too. overall pretty underwhelming and painfull to progress.
One theoretical question: when i combine essence drain with life leech and ghost reaver will the debuff still heal my life while the direct chaos damage will add es?

Because only essence drain got a direct hit damage, so only there leech should work. But the other life restoration is a buff that adds regen to yourself and it is not stated as leech.
Having a blast with the essence drain/contagion combo. Really nice to have a skill combo.

One question: If I wanted to use the IIR gem, should I link it to essence drain or contagion? I feel like it should be linked to essence drain since it deals way more damage, which means it is more likely to kill stuff.
"
kruemel2222 wrote:
Having a blast with the essence drain/contagion combo. Really nice to have a skill combo.

Same here ! I really enjoy the (need for) synergy. It feels quite unique.

However, I'm a little bit concerned about chaos resistant mobs since there is no way to lower the resistance. I kinda wish wither did that.
I've been playing a duo in the new league with a friend.

I'm Contagion > Essence Drain > Wither.
He's Bladefall with Poison.

I've specced for some spell damage in the tree, but as much chaos damage and damage over time as I could get my hands on (of which I have most of it already)

Until Gravicius, he had to use Freezing Pulse, which out-performed me like crazy.
I thought, alright then, maybe I'll get more powerful later. As it is, I help melt bosses.

Not so. A level 1 Bladefall was killing enemies faster than my leveled Contagion/Essence Drain/Wither.

I just... I don't see the point of having this really clunky combo.
Contagion and Essence Drain have such a low cast time, the things tend to be dead before I can even get the combo OFF.
Plus it lacks in defences. Health back that can't be used with Chaos Innoc? Health back? On the side of the tree that has to REALLY TRAVEL to get worthwhile amounts of health? So while you're getting a piss poor amount of your already average health back, you're also having to spam the living daylights out of wither because it has next to no duration?

It just doesn't FEEL good.

I'll be copying and pasting this in to each skill, as it's my feelings on all three.

Edit for this post: At least Essence Drain does some decent damage on it's own. Pity about the slow combo.
I really want to like this skill, but I just don't. I've been wanting skills with this type of aesthetic (i.e. dark/purplish colour), instead of yet more elemental skills, which every game has.

But so far, this one feels far too slow. I don't necessarily mean in terms of damage, as I haven't gotten far enough to really get a good sense of it.

I just find the animation to be really slow. The cast speed will no doubt get better as my character gets stronger, but I find the projectile speed to be way too slow. And the projectile itself is rather underwhelming in size/impact. It just feels like a glob of goo (which I personally find to be unappealing).

Overall, I'm just not having fun with this one. I don't feel satisfied the way I would using something like Arc or Freezing Pulse.

But if the designers are reading this, then know that I DO like the direction you guys have taken in terms of the aesthetic. I'd like to see many more of these dark spells, though ideally not as DoTs.
my feedback is they need to up the life gained from essence drain since you have no real regen methods as a chaos damage caster. and the casting speed needs to be faster since you need to combo it. In group play the enemy is dead by time i get my combo off.
I think it's a bug?

Essence Drain isn't working with cast on critical. Is this a bug? it's very illogical that a skill tagged with Projectile, Spell, Duration, Chaos doesn't work with CoC.

tagged as spell, doesnt work with CoC. ok?
WTB Mirror of kalandra offer 16,200,000 wisdom scrolls
The cast point is pretty huge for a skill that you don't plan on spamming, so you're not too keen on getting cast speed on your build.

Projectile speed also seems quite slow, especially since you want to only use it once per pack, it feels like an AoE spell that you can "miss" quite easily.

As highlighted before by other players, this skill is made to be used as a trap. Self cast just feels way too clunky. Damage is quite good though, and I can see why this might be a problem if you'd allow this to scale with traps.

To make the skill more consistent and less clunky I'd like to see a buff in projectile speed, a nerf in damage(both the initial hit and damage over time), and supportable by the trap and mine gems.
Last edited by Saegys on Dec 13, 2015, 9:14:32 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info