[3.3] Gilded Cage's Comprehensive Guide to Maps

A thing I have noticed getting into mid-tier mapping is that specific maps are worth a ton more on the trade market than others.
For example, The top rated maps, at T9 gorge and arid lake will sell from 2 chaos to 5 chaos. The meh maps like underground lake sell for a chisel or a fuse, a quarter of the cost easy.

So a thing to consider for those struggling to make a map pool. If you find a gorge, instead of running a really easy pleasant map, trade it in for equal value like 3x to 4x copies of meh map of same tier. The people spending big currency on gorge and arid lake are the level 90+ guys who have speed farming down to a science. If your just breaking into mid tiers, I'd definitely suggest going to economy route. Choose a less popular map you can handle and can clear without too much of a speed handicap, and just run more of them.

If you have a high tolerance for crappy maps, you can often find great deals, like a 19% quality T9 malformation for 1 chisel. Skip the boss, and run 4 malformations to every 1 dried lake you would have normally gotten. You could even go fully economy and just make them blue. 4 blue malformations, skipping the boss versus 1 yellow gorge. clearly gorge has superior loot/hr. But for total efficiency the crappier maps win out.

Last edited by overlordz88 on Apr 14, 2016, 9:20:20 AM
I wouldn't generally advice to sell Gorges and Arid Lakes etc. and run less valuable maps instead. The reason is that at tier 10 and below the bottleneck to getting loot is not available maps but time. I don't run any magic find but I will forever have enough tier 9/10 maps to run, so if I have them I will first run those that give more loot/time spent. If someone struggles sustaining tier 9/10 maps there might be a problem somewhere else.

I think your advice makes more sense for tier 12+ where maps are not always sustainable. Running cheap Arsenal maps while selling Shipyards can be fine if your clear speed doesn't suffer much.

Another advice would be to buy corrupted maps at tier 11+ instead of spending currency to reroll them. Since corrupted maps can't be rerolled people often put up those with mods they can't run (like reflect or no curses) for sale, you can get tier 13 maps with 90+ quantity and 20+ packsize for 30 Chaos on Standard which is really nice.
scroogetemplar / scroogewitch / scroogemarauder

Freezing Pulser (safe + affordable): https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1529856
Last edited by scrooge999 on Apr 14, 2016, 10:30:57 AM
Thank you so great guide!
Awesome0 2000
really useful to help me get back into the game and re-learn the maps :D
Praise Bisco the Doge <3
I've got a map with a couple of prefixes I don't see any info on here or on the wiki..

Mystic and Sepulcher. (t8)

Mainly I'm wondering if 'players have no life/mana regen' only applies to 'natural' regens, or if it includes those applied by flasks. I think its the former, but I'm not 100%, and a little leery of the map bc of it.
Last edited by taosk8r on Apr 30, 2016, 6:26:58 PM
"
taosk8r wrote:
I've got a map with a couple of prefixes I don't see any info on here or on the wiki..

Mystic and Sepulcher. (t8)

Mainly I'm wondering if 'players have no life/mana regen' only applies to 'natural' regens, or if it includes those applied by flasks. I think its the former, but I'm not 100%, and a little leery of the map bc of it.

It only applies to natural/normal regens.. Flasks should still be able to grant life regeneration.. :O)
Awesome man, I also liked the old map resource guide and missed it since it was outdated :D
It'd be even more amazing if you added noteworthy divination card drops like The Doctor for HH in Springs >.<
Thanks alot for this tho :)
Thanks for taking the time to do this. Will help a lot of newer mappers I'm sure!
Hiya!

Just started getting into the 7+ Tiers, and found the guide really helpful. The heads up on the map layout and boss's general modus operandi is much appreciated. I like the idea of the more popular cards being added to the guide, however, if done in such a way as to keep the general flow of the guide and not make it clunky. I would love a update on the various mapping mechanics added in prophecy. This is my go to for mapping, and it would be very convenient to get it all in one place :)
Great job, but...

BACK TO WORK OP!

please.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info