Item Development - Threshold Jewels

Looks very cool. I'll be sure to check it out when I come back after you improve in-game trading/buying/selling. Thanks.
"
urgatorbait wrote:
Looks very cool. I'll be sure to check it out when I come back after you improve in-game trading/buying/selling. Thanks.

me thinks they forgotten this feature.

seems like it would be so easy to fix can add a tab to your bank and clan bank for vendor buy and sell only.

you place your item in the tab a drop down to the right of the item of how much or bid

the person that wins the bid/buyout,the item is instantly added to there bank or clan bank.

as for how does some one see what you have for sale some one has already built POE trader that works well why not donate that to POE and they implement it but in game in UI. only other thing i can think of is allow for a small bark message that you can place in trade chat that has limits on how often they can bark the message. set up via the same tab for trading.. seems simple to me.

ON topic. My fav is also the dex jewl with fire and tar thats totally awesome. So far i can think of so many builds with just the ones you have listed..

some of you that think these are not end game viable its just like every thing you have to figure it out how to make it end game viable.. lol if its not 4 cast on blah skill then its sucks i know.../rolls eyes :/
Last edited by Soulreaver_chris on Nov 18, 2015, 7:14:19 PM
"
Bratzekatze wrote:
I really dislike the idea of putting jewels OR ANYTHING in the game that only works with one skill. It's just a REALLY bad design choice. I hope that this mechanic will not make it into the game.

1) If skills are lackluster then rework the skill. Why not give fireball an implicit AoE increase the further it travels? Interesting mechanics keep skills relevant and increase build diversity.

2) PLEASE NEVER ADD SOMETHING WHICH ONLY WORKS FOR ONE SKILL. It takes away any process of exploration. Tinkering with support gems and the tree to figure out good combinations is a big part of the game and lots of fun. Bind a mechanic to one skill and you destroy that. It's a really boring concept from a build-planning perspective.

Please, just change the mechanic of these jewels. I've seen items or passives which only improve one skill in many games and it is just so damn bad 90% of the time. Things like this are bound to become either completely mandatory (at that point you could have just added the mechanic to the skill itself to make it more interesting again) or completely useless (then you could have saved the time you worked on it).

I've seen the concept go wrong so many times and I have no idea what drove GGG to add these things.

Edit: Formatting.

Quoted For Truth.
I agree with some of the posts that they either won't be viable at all, or will be completely mandatory depending on each jewel/skill. These threshold jewels seem to only offer a yes or no decision, and that seems very uninspired to me. We already have rain of splinters as an example of how mandatory a jewel can be for some builds and I thought we were trying to avoid this (reduced mana). Mechanically the starter skills are inferior why not increase their end game damage to compensate for the lack of aoe/utility that other skills offer? Developing a bunch of content that only applies to 1 skill each seems very backwards. I have to imagine a lot of this content will be too niche (or not viable) and see very limited use. Also you have to find/buy these things when town vendors sell superior non-starter skills to everyone, leveled, for almost nothing.

Would have rather seen these jewels target spell catagories like AOE, Melee, or Projectiles as groups rather than buffs for individual starter skills, when some non-starter skills aren't even viable for end game currently. A good example would be stuff like what whispering ice does to projectiles, those would be interesting jewels.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.
Last edited by p0t on Nov 18, 2015, 7:50:02 PM
More words I am in agreement with: https://redd.it/3tb7q1

These jewels might be interesting in the future, but right now they need to fix the busted skills before messing with them in this manner. If Heavy Strike needs the chance for double damage to be viable, then build it into the gem. If Burning Arrow needs to drop burning ground to be viable, then build it into the gem.

This current approach is questionable at best. Fix the bad skills. Then start coming up with weird threshold jewels to modify bits about them.
https://redd.it/p0hyul
"
More words I am in agreement with: https://redd.it/3tb7q1

These jewels might be interesting in the future, but right now they need to fix the busted skills before messing with them in this manner. If Heavy Strike needs the chance for double damage to be viable, then build it into the gem. If Burning Arrow needs to drop burning ground to be viable, then build it into the gem.

This current approach is questionable at best. Fix the bad skills. Then start coming up with weird threshold jewels to modify bits about them.

100% agree.
"
npavcec wrote:
"
Bratzekatze wrote:
I really dislike the idea of putting jewels OR ANYTHING in the game that only works with one skill. It's just a REALLY bad design choice. I hope that this mechanic will not make it into the game.

1) If skills are lackluster then rework the skill. Why not give fireball an implicit AoE increase the further it travels? Interesting mechanics keep skills relevant and increase build diversity.

2) PLEASE NEVER ADD SOMETHING WHICH ONLY WORKS FOR ONE SKILL. It takes away any process of exploration. Tinkering with support gems and the tree to figure out good combinations is a big part of the game and lots of fun. Bind a mechanic to one skill and you destroy that. It's a really boring concept from a build-planning perspective.

Please, just change the mechanic of these jewels. I've seen items or passives which only improve one skill in many games and it is just so damn bad 90% of the time. Things like this are bound to become either completely mandatory (at that point you could have just added the mechanic to the skill itself to make it more interesting again) or completely useless (then you could have saved the time you worked on it).

I've seen the concept go wrong so many times and I have no idea what drove GGG to add these things.

Quoted For Truth.
"
Bratzekatze wrote:

"

"
Qarl wrote:
"
DaTz_ wrote:
bonerific!

We'll show off the Summon Skeleton one later!

I sure hope Army of Bones is changed too (or changed into passive skill point), as if there is stack-able Threshold Jewel to stack for Summon Skeletons, I'll have to get rid of Army of Bones... :/

Also, this looks like most of them will be mandatory to make these skills work. Doesn't seem a great idea - just make those skills scale better to the late game, and not patch them with jewels.

Army of Bones is this kind of "one skill only" jewel, which can be stacked, and with all honesty does not work at all. Skill is still lackluster, and you are missing so many jewels (which you MUST take, adding additional opportunity cost), that builds is pretty weak anyways.

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
Last edited by Perq on Nov 19, 2015, 6:16:43 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info