Item Development - Threshold Jewels

the idea is interesting but these gems dont seem to make the skills much more end game viable, which was the stated intent.afraid these will end up like the 1000000 uniques noone uses.
have finally gotten used to the lab... I dont hate it anymore.:)
Do something for Lightning Strike !
Nobody is using it now ;<.
It looks cool so I wanted to build around that, but its not particularly good.
I love the end game balance potential for under-utilized skills.

Many people, before when looking at the spectral throw jewel, probably failed to realize that its not limit 1; and that a spectral throw projectile can hit many times against a large pack. It if passes through 6 monsters and hits 10 times, then it'll end at 40% increased damage with 1 jewel. With 3 jewels that's 120%. With larger and tighter packs, maybe you could manage more. (What might Vaal Cyclone plus this end up looking like?)

The fireball and burning arrow potential is perhaps even more exciting; and heavy strike shouldn't complain, it's getting 30% chance to double damage with 3 jewels used.

Being able to balance the base skill, and being able to balance these jewels separately, would appear to provide many levels of balance potential. Many of these jewels generally being more of an end-game concern.

"
Xirgu wrote:
the idea is interesting but these gems dont seem to make the skills much more end game viable, which was the stated intent.afraid these will end up like the 1000000 uniques noone uses.

Do some math on fireball. Either my math is insanely wrong, fireball deals literally no damage, or it should be pretty good.

Edit: At what range does projectiles actually die?

Edit 2: Nvm. There was indeed an error in my spreadsheet unless the jewel increases the skill base radius which would probably make you hit mobs behind you no matter where the projectile exploded if you got everything you could get to increase AoE (which I probably wont at least, since it seems best to go CI if you need a minimum of 250 int for the build). Still, the build I scetched up in 5 minutes would reach 29 radius AoE per fireball...
Gravity is just a prejudice. A part of Earth's jurisdiction. As an apache helicopter, I find that very oppressive.
Last edited by Zorajin on Nov 18, 2015, 4:12:17 PM
"
I love the end game balance potential for under-utilized skills.

Many people, before when looking at the spectral throw jewel, probably failed to realize that its not limit 1; and that a spectral throw projectile can hit many times against a large pack. It if passes through 6 monsters and hits 10 times, then it'll end at 40% increased damage with 1 jewel. With 3 jewels that's 120%. With larger and tighter packs, maybe you could manage more. (What might Vaal Cyclone plus this end up looking like?)

The fireball and burning arrow potential is perhaps even more exciting; and heavy strike shouldn't complain, it's getting 30% chance to double damage with 3 jewels used.

Being able to balance the base skill, and being able to balance these jewels separately, would appear to provide many levels of balance potential. Many of these jewels generally being more of an end-game concern.

You know Clearing pack of monsters is easy already. Problem is the boss. And with boos fight this spectral throw is not as good as on pack of mobs.
Last edited by Kastmar on Nov 18, 2015, 5:15:34 PM
I really dislike the idea of putting jewels OR ANYTHING in the game that only works with one skill. It's just a REALLY bad design choice. I hope that this mechanic will not make it into the game.

1) If skills are lackluster then rework the skill. Why not give fireball an implicit AoE increase the further it travels? Interesting mechanics keep skills relevant and increase build diversity.

2) PLEASE NEVER ADD SOMETHING WHICH ONLY WORKS FOR ONE SKILL. It takes away any process of exploration. Tinkering with support gems and the tree to figure out good combinations is a big part of the game and lots of fun. Bind a mechanic to one skill and you destroy that. It's a really boring concept from a build-planning perspective.

Please, just change the mechanic of these jewels. I've seen items or passives which only improve one skill in many games and it is just so damn bad 90% of the time. Things like this are bound to become either completely mandatory (at that point you could have just added the mechanic to the skill itself to make it more interesting again) or completely useless (then you could have saved the time you worked on it).

I've seen the concept go wrong so many times and I have no idea what drove GGG to add these things.

Edit: Formatting.
Last edited by Bratzekatze on Nov 18, 2015, 6:28:31 PM
"
"
Darkfyre wrote:
you guys do realize, ofc, that with the current passive tree it is literally impossible to allocate 50 intelligence in any of the jewel sockets' radii, with a "medium radius", right?

Actually, there are currently five jewel slots that have at least 50 int in a medium radius:

Witch's jewel slot next to the Instability power charge

that one has 40 int
"

Inside jewel slot between Templar and Witch coming up from Scion

that one has 20 int
"

Inside jewel slot between Shadow and Witch coming up from Scion

that one also has 20 int
"

Shadow jewel slot between Mind Drinker and Blood Drinker

that one has 30 int
"

Templar jewel slot between "Faith and Steel" and "Devotion"

ok. this one *may* have 50 int able to be allocated. 2 of the int nodes are right on the bleeding edge of the ring's edge; not sure if they're included
"

And even if there weren't any current slots that have 50 in a medium radius, they'd be adding them to make the jewels functional.

fair enough. but I did qualify my statement by saying the 'current passive tree'.
"
GGG has made some screwups but something as obvious as not having enough Int in the designated area is something even they wouldn't do.

I wouldn't be so sure if I were you. GGG aren't some superhuman beings. They're just people, like you and I. People make mistakes.
Last edited by Darkfyre on Nov 18, 2015, 6:31:21 PM
Daaamn!! Pretty hyped for the Spectral Throw and Double Strike ones!! :D Looking forward for more & ofc for the new amazing league!!
CI >> Life
giff me flicker strike jewel

something like giving +1 attack per cast so i can get rid of multistrike and go for moar dmg cuz you never have enought dmg ya know
Last edited by HyP_ on Nov 18, 2015, 6:59:55 PM
"
CEMEHbl4 wrote:
Сool jewels! New idea for skills:
1 new skill from Diablo 3 - its "DISINTEGRATE". Just imagine how cool it will be!
Properties: Non-projectile, Fire or Chaos dmg (or both), similar to incinerate but extremely long range,leaves no corpses, explodes enemies or dmg over time(or both). Cool visual effect! Heavily Modified Searing Bond effect(purple). Cool sound effect.
We all need this skill! Right now its the best time to introduce new Chaos based DISINTEGRATE skill! Looking forward to see it in 2.2.0 update!
Lets make a deal - if DISINTEGRATE will be introduced, we players will buy at least 1 more supporter pack! Plz copy my post in comments,quote, put +1, if you agree with me!
Chris you are the best! Good luck!
PS. skill name "Chaos Disintegrate", Or "Chaos Ray", "Void Ray"

IMAGE:

not sure this is the right place to post that idea, but i must say like it. i would love to have something like that torture chamber boss, and...well people love lasers!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info