Item Development - Threshold Jewels

Hmmm... Shield charge Jewel :D
I'm kind of wary about giving more than one jewel socket to pure damage or utility for one skill, but maybe some of these will be powerful enough even with one socketed. Could be somewhat hard to convince people to change those general defense plus offense jewels away.

So are we getting skeleton archers or casters with Summon Skeletons jewel?
And how strong will Fire Trap and Flame Totem jewels be?
Asus TUF B450-PLUS GAMING - AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - ASUS GTX 1080 Ti Strix 11GB - Windows 10 Pro - 32GB DDR4 - Samsung 250GB 970 EVO SSD
May I please avoid the rush and get a pocketful of these jewels now? I promise not to use them (much) until the new season begins.

Alright, I admit it, I'm anxious!
"
Orca_Orcinus wrote:
Hi. Humbly I suggest you stop wasting time on new jewels when the game lacks / is suffering from
A) No Combat parsing
B) No paper doll
C) Incorrect item tool-tips for many many gems and skills
D) Performance issues related to the sounds /oggs
E) Performance issues related to the server clusters
F) Performance issues related to loading of assets
G) Performance issues related to DX9
H) Performance issues related to coding and the improperly assigned value of addressing issues that have cropped up
I) Performance issues related to ATI video drivers
J) Performance issues related to speculars and sparklies that literally add zero to the game, and the attendant performance issues are not only annoying, but moreover make it impossible for people to play hardcore modes, making the economies suffer from a dearth of players
K) Performance issues related to ItemID/ServerID communication and the lewt esplosions that can lock up a system, even with a loot filter in operation
L) Performance issues related to the Loading of MTX effects on exiles

I could go on, but I think you get me.

Please fix the "game", and not just "some jewels/gems".

SO much this.

Stop adding and adding and adding new stuff when theres so much stuff undone.

And apart from that, balance issues growing.
"better to simply go balls deep full retard if you gonna go retard." -Boem-

Looks nice.
However, the jewels for FB and BA (to a lesser extent, because of the tar, which is really new) only seem to fix the problems introduced when shotgunning was removed (the explosions from fireball could still overlap, of course, but with the small AoE of FB it was hard to pull off) and Elemental Proliferation was nerfed.
Nevertheless, looking forward to the new league and some of those jewels. And new supporter packs.:D
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
"
Hunwulf wrote:
"
Orca_Orcinus wrote:
Hi. Humbly I suggest you stop wasting time on new jewels when the game lacks / is suffering from
A) No Combat parsing
B) No paper doll
H) Performance issues related to coding and the improperly assigned value of addressing issues that have cropped up
J) Performance issues related to speculars and sparklies that literally add zero to the game, and the attendant performance issues are not only annoying, but moreover make it impossible for people to play hardcore modes, making the economies suffer from a dearth of players
K) Performance issues related to ItemID/ServerID communication and the lewt esplosions that can lock up a system, even with a loot filter in operation

SO much this.

On the one hand I agree.
However, I'm certain some of these things are worked on. I mean, when the Awakening came, all of a sudden there was Lockstep - no one anticipated that for PoE, and yet, here it is.
It's of course not really exciting news and adds nothing to the game, just the performance of it. This is great for experienced players who struggle with some/ all of these problems but won't get new ones playing the game and buying mtx.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
Well..

In short: much work done to fix a problem that shouldn't be there in the first place. This problem is 'starting skills'.

This is just a bad concept. You left some skills to rust while introducing lots of AOE stuff and now you legitimize it by saying this is by design and these are 'starting skills'. This is bollocks. These are obsolete skills.

Fireball is so bad that Arctic Breath can do EVERYTHING FB can do but better (higher damage). Burning Arrow is a single target, Heavy Strike is a single target (with Knockback that works well for AOE/DoT skills/spells like BL), Spectral Throw is cool but as it is ranged (safety) and works like a spell cast with weapon AND has known and insane CoCS synergy you HAVE TO make it bad. Problem here is Cast on Crit - your another mistake you try to pretend is not here and is not making game design difficult (and its results bland).

Not to mention that obsolete skills are pretty much so bad that at lvl4 people are already using something else. It is impossible to reach these thresholds early in the game so these are end-game only.

Jewels released today:

Heavy Strike.. waste few jewel slots and some passives for inefficient pathing just to make a bad skill deal more damage? Why? Cant you just fix the HS instead? It is bad because every new melee skill introduced since OB is AOE and the game is ALL ABOUT AOE. Double Damage sounds fun but.. is it worth it to have separate skill for that? From what i see most players use one skill and just accept that bosses die slower. Plus the Knockback..

Burning Arrow. Some gimmick and a fire trap. Useless or BROKEN depending on numbers. Crit bow (who plays non crit? - your ANOTHER mistake) (Chin Sol) + Trap + Point Blank == Strong Fire Trap but with chance instead of guaranteed effect (and cannot prolif). Why when one can play Explosive Arrow? So it is to be an AOE skill.. hmm.. hmm.. so Tornado Shot (the one click army) is removed? Burning Ground cannot leech, cannot LGoH, so how is one supposed to sustain? The Ice Shot looks better than this without the fluff. Guaranteed chilled ground is much better than a chance for something.

Just add the burning ground as default (and increase the AOE of it via jewel) and focus on the tar aspect. This idea is neat but.. really? Lots of effort for just that?

Fireball. Standoff fire AOE skill.. hmm.. hmm.. Flameblast? Firestorm? hmm.. hmm.. and these do not need jewels. If the AOE can be scaled with Templar, Witch and AOE-gem then we are talking (something the size of basic flameblast..). But i bet it is too strong to accept, isnt it?
But! Hey! Imagine it with CoCS! This is suddenly an auto pick..

Spectral Throw - mentioned by others. But I'll reiterate. Lots of effort to provide nice sounding but marginal damage boost. Mechanical changes are impossible due to CoCS ofc but you cannot say that. So no extra projs, no fancy pathing etc because each mechanics change leads to something unholy when paired with CoCS. Will you fix CoCS? It is long overdue..

To reiterate:
The problem you are solving is that these skills exist in this state in the first place. They should not be intentionally bad. It is one of worst ideas that some skills are crap by design when nothing in their descriptions say so. Forcing players (new players!) to invest extra and barely reach the level of non-invested Tornado Shot build is a terrible idea.

Other problem is the CoCS gem that will haunt you for each garbage-tier spell and for common CoCS vehicles like ST, Barrage, Cyclone. CoCS was a great mistake and you are keeping it as it is for a fear of backslash while slowly but surely limiting your creativity (or creating builds that cannot be rivaled by nothing else)

Not thrilled. It is a bandaid instead of a solution. And this - just like most previous bandaids - will backfire.
I'd say the radius needs to be Large for this to work. None of the Scion's sockets can reach 50, nor can any of the sockets on the outer edge of the tree (the one between Duelist and Marauder hilariously only has one +10 stat node within reach).

Also, I have to ask, why even have a stat req on them? Are you trying to make it so a Templar can't use any DEX threshold jewels? This seems very odd for a game that promotes creativity and customization. I think the whole stat req thing should be dropped entirely. I don't see the purpose of it, other than restricting what classes can use which skills.
Last edited by lilmrock4457 on Nov 18, 2015, 2:30:58 AM
"
Hunwulf wrote:
"
Orca_Orcinus wrote:
A) No Combat parsing
B) No paper doll

SO much this.

Yes, 100% my opinion!
"
Hunwulf wrote:
... making the economies suffer from a dearth of players.

And what does GGG do? Instead of fixing/improving the game itself, these guys adding, adding, and adding more questionable stuff, causing more unbalancing. And all over that some very healthy players find some very very good builds due to this. And GGG's reaction to this is to nerf the whole community once again, what makes some members quit playing the game.
That's called a 'circulus vitiosus'.
My InGameName: Aui
Last edited by Aui on Nov 18, 2015, 2:55:14 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info