[3.0]PewPewPews Official Cheap Firestorm Build - Perfect for Newcomers/SSF

Current gear lvl 72

Doing great. Thanks for the build again :)
Last edited by Evalonix on Dec 10, 2016, 6:39:18 PM
I'm really enjoying this build but as a new player I'm struggling to understand how to analyze a weapon as a potential upgrade as a caster.

I'm currently rocking a mace with:
22% Elemental
22% Spell
11-24 Cold to spells
20% Crit Strike

But I also have the following maces:
First:
24% Elemental
20% Elemental with weapons (not really sure what this means)
+1 socketed gems
6% increased fire damage

Second:
24% Elemental
12-24 cold to spells
15% cast speed

And I have a "The Whispering Ice" unique staff (doesn't seem like a good option but I figured I'd list it).

It doesn't help that the in-game Offence tab doesn't seem to display anything but melee DPS with whatever weapon you have equipped. I'm just not sure how to figure the value of all these different stats. The guide puts emphasis on ele and fire damage but what is the value of cast speed, +1 to gems and that % increased elemental with weapons stat?

Since I'd assume it's rare to find a weapon with "perfect" stats (as listed in the guide I mean) I'm not sure when something might be a good replacement.
"
kd7svh wrote:
I'm really enjoying this build but as a new player I'm struggling to understand how to analyze a weapon as a potential upgrade as a caster.

I'm currently rocking a mace with:
22% Elemental
22% Spell
11-24 Cold to spells
20% Crit Strike

But I also have the following maces:
First:
24% Elemental
20% Elemental with weapons (not really sure what this means)
+1 socketed gems
6% increased fire damage

Second:
24% Elemental
12-24 cold to spells
15% cast speed

And I have a "The Whispering Ice" unique staff (doesn't seem like a good option but I figured I'd list it).

It doesn't help that the in-game Offence tab doesn't seem to display anything but melee DPS with whatever weapon you have equipped. I'm just not sure how to figure the value of all these different stats. The guide puts emphasis on ele and fire damage but what is the value of cast speed, +1 to gems and that % increased elemental with weapons stat?

Since I'd assume it's rare to find a weapon with "perfect" stats (as listed in the guide I mean) I'm not sure when something might be a good replacement.

Ok so a couple of things to go over. 1st, the way to see your stats for the skill you're using is to click it when viewing the offense tab. There should be a side-scrolling list of skills underneath your character portrait that will let you select each skill to see what its damage, crit chance, attack speed etc is.

As for individual stats.

20% Elemental with weapons

Ignore this one. It's useless to us. This only affects skills where we hit the enemy with our weapon.

Someone who's better with the math will have to answer the rest of your questions, but you should be able to compare 2 weapons by simply swapping them out and seeing how your dps goes up/down for the firestorm skill.
Noob here that just started at the end of Essence. Thanks for posting this build. I'm using this one to start Breach. Thanks for the great post - very informative and makes it easy for beginning players.

One thing I'm unsure about is gem levelling - particularly with CwDT and CoH along with their linked gems. As a noob I've just been levelling everything and now I'm learning that maybe I shouldn't have done that and kept certain gems at a maximum level. Is there a maximum level that I should take these gems to along with the gems linked to these?

Thanks again.
"
RJonesUSC wrote:
Noob here that just started at the end of Essence. Thanks for posting this build. I'm using this one to start Breach. Thanks for the great post - very informative and makes it easy for beginning players.

One thing I'm unsure about is gem levelling - particularly with CwDT and CoH along with their linked gems. As a noob I've just been levelling everything and now I'm learning that maybe I shouldn't have done that and kept certain gems at a maximum level. Is there a maximum level that I should take these gems to along with the gems linked to these?

Thanks again.

Cast When Damage Taken is an exception for 2 reasons. 1, because it specifically can only cast gems at or below its own level requirement. (So if the gem requires level 54, it can only cast skills that also require level 54). So you'll need to take this into consideration. The second reason is that it fires based on a certain amount of damage. You need to decide based on how much your effective HP is what level is appropriate. You obviously don't want to level it higher than your effective hp because then it would only fire if you get killed.

For the rest of the gems, the only thing to consider is their stat requirements and mana cost. In the example of this build, Curse on Hit can be leveled all the way up because we're already an Int/Str build, so there's no reason not to fully level it.

Keep a close eye on Lightning Golem as you level though. It has a dex requirement, which we're pretty light on. So you'll have to be careful you don't level it past what you can comfortably get on gear. A good way to keep an eye on this is to load your current skill tree into poeplanner so you can see what your base (only from the skill tree) dexterity is and decided how much dex you're willing to get from gear.
"
bridgeburner wrote:
Ok so a couple of things to go over. 1st, the way to see your stats for the skill you're using is to click it when viewing the offense tab. There should be a side-scrolling list of skills underneath your character portrait that will let you select each skill to see what its damage, crit chance, attack speed etc is.

As for individual stats.

20% Elemental with weapons

Ignore this one. It's useless to us. This only affects skills where we hit the enemy with our weapon.

Someone who's better with the math will have to answer the rest of your questions, but you should be able to compare 2 weapons by simply swapping them out and seeing how your dps goes up/down for the firestorm skill.

WOW, thank you very much! You know I'm a newb when I didn't know about clicking on individual skills to see their stats, LOL. I noticed the list of skills but it never occurred to me to click on them.
"
bridgeburner wrote:
Cast When Damage Taken is an exception for 2 reasons. 1, because it specifically can only cast gems at or below its own level requirement. (So if the gem requires level 54, it can only cast skills that also require level 54). So you'll need to take this into consideration. The second reason is that it fires based on a certain amount of damage. You need to decide based on how much your effective HP is what level is appropriate. You obviously don't want to level it higher than your effective hp because then it would only fire if you get killed.

For the rest of the gems, the only thing to consider is their stat requirements and mana cost. In the example of this build, Curse on Hit can be leveled all the way up because we're already an Int/Str build, so there's no reason not to fully level it.

Keep a close eye on Lightning Golem as you level though. It has a dex requirement, which we're pretty light on. So you'll have to be careful you don't level it past what you can comfortably get on gear. A good way to keep an eye on this is to load your current skill tree into poeplanner so you can see what your base (only from the skill tree) dexterity is and decided how much dex you're willing to get from gear.

Thank you, that's very helpful. I see that I had already leveled a gem too high that it wasn't being triggered by CwDT. I also see what you mean about the lightning Golem. That's getting close so I'll have to keep an eye on it.
HOw does the flame dash golems chain work, what should use to trigger this? (sahould teh golems spawn when I flame dash?
"
Wolftame wrote:
HOw does the flame dash golems chain work, what should use to trigger this? (sahould teh golems spawn when I flame dash?

These aren't related to each other. There's just no other good place to put them.
@PewPewPew Really enjoying a build. Sorry if you answered this already, but how did you fit the lightning golem (2nd golem) in? Can only do a 3 link with spell dmg shields right?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info