First char - reached 50 but need help now

Click "home" then go to "my account" and then click on the "recent forum post's" on the right side of your screen.

That's about what we got currently :)

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
A brief follow-up: thanks to all the advice in this thread (and other great resources), I've slowly but surely made my way to merciless. In fact, last night I beat act 2's final boss, only died once :-) Now the bad news: this happened right as the PoE servers were crashing, so I lost that loot, including a unique. Boo! Oh well.

I am not sure how long I will keep playing this marauder. I want to try the other two 'pure' classes next, but even though I've learned a lot so far, I'm not sure I've learned enough to let me plan a build from scratch. I'm still a bit overwhelmed by the skill tree, I have no knowledge of uniques, it's been hard to get the gear I needed, etc.

But! I'm having fun while doing it, which I didn't really expect. I was planning on giving PoE a fair chance for a few hours and then probably uninstall it, and well that's not quite what happened.

TBC...
Well,your skill setup is so bad I'm admiring you made it into act 2 merciless.
Consider something like:
4L Ice Crash + Life Leech + Melee Physical Damage + Weapon Elemental Damage
*5L + Faster Attacks
*6L + Hypothermia/Cold Penetration
4L Leap Slam + Frenzy + Faster Attacks + Fortify
*4L+1S + Vaal Haste/Vaal Grace
*4L+2SL + Increased Duration
4L Enduring Cry + Increased Duration + Frostbite + Blood Rage
4L Cast When Damage Taken + Increased Duration + Enfeeble/Temporal Chains + Molten Shell
4L Vengeance + Endurance Charge on Melee Stun + Herald of Ice + Arctic Armour

To make it work better you need to take 1-2 extra endurance charges and 1 frenzy charge in your passives tree.You have easy access to them as you are in Marauder and Duelist areas.

Game play flow will be as follows:
Against normal monsters
1) Always keep Blood Rage up and running.You should easily outregen its life degeneration.
2) Once spot a pack of monsters curse it by Frostbite.
3) Leap into it.This will trigger fortify and make you more tanky.
4) Use Enduring Cry to get endurance charges and become even more tanky.
5) Devastate everything using Ice Crash.You should get frenzy charges from Blood Rage.
6) Go to next group.Hit a monster once by Frenzy if you need to refresh timer of the charges.

Against bosses:
1) If you can keep it,use Blood Rage - it gives life leech and attack speed,both much welcomed.
2) Curse the boss by Frostbite
3) Leap onto him and Hit him by Frenzy to get max frenzy charges and to turn on fortify buff.
4) Use Enduring Cry if needed,but Vengeance should generate and keep up running endurance charges for you.
5) If you have it cast Vaal Haste/Vaal Grace
6) Ice Crash rampage till he is dead!Hit him once by Frenzy if you see you run out of fortify,or frenzy charges timer is ending.
7) If the boss will hit you hard your CWDT setup will fire;Molten Shell gives additional armour,while Enfeeble will reduce his damage output.Alternatively,Temporal Chains combined with your chilling effect should make him to attack so slow you should leech lost life before next hit.
Last edited by MasterBLB on Nov 3, 2015, 2:26:55 PM
I'm quite aware that my character is mostly awful, lol... I'm okay with it, it's my first and just a learning scratchpad as far as I'm concerned. :-)

I will definitely take some of this into consideration though, thank you!

"
MasterBLB wrote:
Well,your skill setup is so bad I'm admiring you made it into act 2 merciless.
Consider something like:
4L Ice Crash + Life Leech + Melee Physical Damage + Weapon Elemental Damage
*5L + Faster Attacks
*6L + Hypothermia/Cold Penetration
4L Leap Slam + Frenzy + Faster Attacks + Fortify
*4L+1S + Vaal Haste/Vaal Grace
*4L+2SL + Increased Duration
4L Enduring Cry + Increased Duration + Frostbite + Blood Rage
4L Cast When Damage Taken + Increased Duration + Enfeeble/Temporal Chains + Molten Shell
4L Vengeance + Endurance Charge on Melee Stun + Herald of Ice + Arctic Armour

To make it work better you need to take 1-2 extra endurance charges and 1 frenzy charge in your passives tree.You have easy access to them as you are in Marauder and Duelist areas.

Game play flow will be as follows:
Against normal monsters
1) Always keep Blood Rage up and running.You should easily outregen its life degeneration.
2) Once spot a pack of monsters curse it by Frostbite.
3) Leap into it.This will trigger fortify and make you more tanky.
4) Use Enduring Cry to get endurance charges and become even more tanky.
5) Devastate everything using Ice Crash.You should get frenzy charges from Blood Rage.
6) Go to next group.Hit a monster once by Frenzy if you need to refresh timer of the charges.

Against bosses:
1) If you can keep it,use Blood Rage - it gives life leech and attack speed,both much welcomed.
2) Curse the boss by Frostbite
3) Leap onto him and Hit him by Frenzy to get max frenzy charges and to turn on fortify buff.
4) Use Enduring Cry if needed,but Vengeance should generate and keep up running endurance charges for you.
5) If you have it cast Vaal Haste/Vaal Grace
6) Ice Crash rampage till he is dead!Hit him once by Frenzy if you see you run out of fortify,or frenzy charges timer is ending.
7) If the boss will hit you hard your CWDT setup will fire;Molten Shell gives additional armour,while Enfeeble will reduce his damage output.Alternatively,Temporal Chains combined with your chilling effect should make him to attack so slow you should leech lost life before next hit.
Too bad about losing the unique. Hopefully it wasn't a good one.

Maybe we can recommend you a build if you decide in what direction you want to go next.
PoE needs better social features... and more cats!
"
I'm quite aware that my character is mostly awful, lol... I'm okay with it, it's my first and just a learning scratchpad as far as I'm concerned. :-)

I will definitely take some of this into consideration though, thank you!

It's okay you've made not so good character very first time,don't be harsh on yourself.No problem bro,you're just learning.
Well,if you're interested I can share what I've learned so far about creating working builds in Path of Exile.
1) The most important thing - specialization and synergy between passive tree,skill setup and equipment is vital for a good build.

2) A build should be simple to play.That's why various skills whose don't need to be activated by player,like auras,golems or cast when damage taken are seen in practically each build guide you can find here on forum.

3) NEVER,EVER underestimate defense!In fact,a character's survivability should be taken into account at the beginning of drafting a build.

4) Skills should not duplicate their purpose,ex it's waste of sockets to have 2 attack skills suited against one target.The best results are from having a skill for dealing with whole pack of enemies at once,a skill to fight single enemy if the AoE skill doesn't work well in such situation,some kind of movement utility skill(it is very,very nice to have for better positioning,quickly escaping a boss powerful but signalized attack,or cross landscape obstacles like cliffs,rifts etc).That's a core of every build I've seen so far.
The rest of skills are various supports like curses,auras or automatically casted stuff.

5) Gearing.Don't let you be fooled by those shiny uniques!The usual issue with uniques are they lack of defensive stats like life,resistances,increased armor/evasion etc.In exchange,they offer nice features not present on magic/rare items,whose often makes a possibility to create a build around them - for example Mjölner or Whispering Ice.Well,the rule here is the more uniques you wear the better(and more expensive/hard to get) your rares must be to compensate lack of defenses.
More detailed guide you can see there

And,back to your current build and skill setup - you have Heavy Strike,Infernal Blow,Ice Crash,Molten Strike,Leap Slam and Vaal Ground Slam which are usable in similar circumstances,and absolutely no means to increase defense.It's not surprising you keep dying like a rag.

Now,let's analyze the build I've proposed:
Spoiler

1) You have main skill Ice Crash,which is great against packs,and still good enough against single target due to huge base damage.

2) Your passive tree interacts with Ice Crash well,as you've taken Amplify and other nodes which increases area of effect.You are also near Catalyse,Elementalist and not so far from Celestial Judgment and Punishment.That's why from all your equipped skills I've chosen Ice Crash to draft a build around it.

3) By having Ice Crash as a main skill,and later on taking Elementalist and Celestial Punishment you'll also increase your survivability,as you will chill and freeze monsters around you,therefore reducing incoming damage.

4) You have good utility attacks - Leap Slam and Frenzy,which uses very nice support gems useful both against packs and singe,powerful enemies.They will allow you to quickly move across battlefield and turn on fortify and frenzy charges on demand.

5) Ice Crash is very nice skill,but it has a downside - attack speed penalty.To overcome that,you have Blood Rage which not only increases attack speed,but also provides frenzy charges on kill.Each charge grants you 4% more damage and 4% increased attack speed,and the result is negated attack speed penalty of Ice Crash which,will have now positive attack speed,and deal more damage.Quicker and harder hitting Ice Crash will replenish your life via Life Leech/Life on Hit support gem and inherited from Blood Rage leech significantly better.Ah,and you generate frenzy charges not only via Blood Rage,but via Frenzy attack - very nice against act bosses.But for the best results you should take extra frenzy charge from passive tree - 4 charges will give you 16% increased attack speed,lv20 Blood Rage 15%;so net outcome for Ice Crash is 6% increased attack speed.Not to mention you'll deal 16% more damage.

6) Frostbite curse will help you both offensively as it causes enemies to take more cold damage,but also defensively because it makes enemies easier to freeze,and increases amount of life leeched via Life Leech support.It also don't disturbs gameplay flow,as you cast it at the beginning of an encounter,and don't bother later.It also interacts nicely with your passive tree nodes Elementalist and Celestial Punishment increasing total chance to freeze monsters to 24% (lv20 Frostbite) for each hit caused by Ice Crash.And because that skills hits three times per use,and you'll have increased attack speed via Blood Rage and frenzy charges you should generate plenty of opportunities to freeze an enemy.Cool,isn't it?;]

7) And after analysis of the Frostbite Herald of Ice comes into scene.Well,because you should freeze enemies often you should also trigger herad's explosions all the time.Herald benefits from your tree greatly because of increased area of effect and increased elemental damage nodes.If you'll pick Devotion node,which you should do anyway as it and nodes around it are one of best life nodes in whole tree,you'll further increase power of your herald,and Arctic Armour as well.During boss fights though above interaction won't work the herald will still be useful as it gives you extra cold damage to Ice Crash.

8) Freezing stuff is not only defensive mechanic you have.Thanks to Skull Cracking passive,and big damage from Ice Crash you'll also occasionally stun enemies(but rather common ones) preventing them from preforming an offensive actions.

The remaining synergies for Enduring Cry,Arctic Armour and Vengeance are for you to discover ;] I'm tired of writing now.
Last edited by MasterBLB on Nov 4, 2015, 6:00:22 PM
Seems like you still have a couple white two-stone rings equipped.
These are great rings for getting resistances, but there is no reason for you to be using whites by merciless.

Throw a transmute on them, or if you can afford it, an alchemy orb.

You probably won't miss a few alch orbs by the time you reach end game, so feel free to cautiously use a handful if needed as you level.

Even if you don't get great stats, some stats > no stats.

I know I came late to the party so things have likely changed since you started this thread, but I must say your gear and build is much better than most beginners I have seen. Good job so far!
Legacy SC IGN: Octora
Standard SC IGN: Octyte
Another quick update: big shootout to Brenspin who's basically Santa-Claus'ed me with all kinds of awesome gear (and advice). I'm now in merciless a4, though I've started maps and they're more fun than I thought they would be, so I kinda gave the main quest :-p

I'm still not sure how long I will keep playing the marauder... I'm itching to start a witch or ranger... but for now I am having fun with this (half-baked) build I'm still optimizing.

So thanks again all. What a great community so far.
"
MasterBLB wrote:

Now,let's analyze the build I've proposed:
Spoiler

1) You have main skill Ice Crash,which is great against packs,and still good enough against single target due to huge base damage.

2) Your passive tree interacts with Ice Crash well,as you've taken Amplify and other nodes which increases area of effect.You are also near Catalyse,Elementalist and not so far from Celestial Judgment and Punishment.That's why from all your equipped skills I've chosen Ice Crash to draft a build around it.

3) By having Ice Crash as a main skill,and later on taking Elementalist and Celestial Punishment you'll also increase your survivability,as you will chill and freeze monsters around you,therefore reducing incoming damage.

4) You have good utility attacks - Leap Slam and Frenzy,which uses very nice support gems useful both against packs and singe,powerful enemies.They will allow you to quickly move across battlefield and turn on fortify and frenzy charges on demand.

5) Ice Crash is very nice skill,but it has a downside - attack speed penalty.To overcome that,you have Blood Rage which not only increases attack speed,but also provides frenzy charges on kill.Each charge grants you 4% more damage and 4% increased attack speed,and the result is negated attack speed penalty of Ice Crash which,will have now positive attack speed,and deal more damage.Quicker and harder hitting Ice Crash will replenish your life via Life Leech/Life on Hit support gem and inherited from Blood Rage leech significantly better.Ah,and you generate frenzy charges not only via Blood Rage,but via Frenzy attack - very nice against act bosses.But for the best results you should take extra frenzy charge from passive tree - 4 charges will give you 16% increased attack speed,lv20 Blood Rage 15%;so net outcome for Ice Crash is 6% increased attack speed.Not to mention you'll deal 16% more damage.

6) Frostbite curse will help you both offensively as it causes enemies to take more cold damage,but also defensively because it makes enemies easier to freeze,and increases amount of life leeched via Life Leech support.It also don't disturbs gameplay flow,as you cast it at the beginning of an encounter,and don't bother later.It also interacts nicely with your passive tree nodes Elementalist and Celestial Punishment increasing total chance to freeze monsters to 24% (lv20 Frostbite) for each hit caused by Ice Crash.And because that skills hits three times per use,and you'll have increased attack speed via Blood Rage and frenzy charges you should generate plenty of opportunities to freeze an enemy.Cool,isn't it?;]

7) And after analysis of the Frostbite Herald of Ice comes into scene.Well,because you should freeze enemies often you should also trigger herad's explosions all the time.Herald benefits from your tree greatly because of increased area of effect and increased elemental damage nodes.If you'll pick Devotion node,which you should do anyway as it and nodes around it are one of best life nodes in whole tree,you'll further increase power of your herald,and Arctic Armour as well.During boss fights though above interaction won't work the herald will still be useful as it gives you extra cold damage to Ice Crash.

8) Freezing stuff is not only defensive mechanic you have.Thanks to Skull Cracking passive,and big damage from Ice Crash you'll also occasionally stun enemies(but rather common ones) preventing them from preforming an offensive actions.

The remaining synergies for Enduring Cry,Arctic Armour and Vengeance are for you to discover ;] I'm tired of writing now.

So a couple questions about this... :-)

For the Ice Crash, the Added Fire Damage results in a greater tooltip dps than Weapon Elemental Damage. This makes sense to me since the added fire is a flat increase based on the physical dps, and adds fire damage that wasn't there before, whereas WED simply boosts the existing elemental damage portion of the weapon. Is there an upside WED provides that I'm not seeing?

I don't have the following gems. They haven't dropped and/or are not available as rewards or from vendors for a marauder.
- Vaal Haste (I have Vaal Grace but Haste seems preferable)
- Frostbite
- Enfeeble (I don't have temporal chains either but enfeeble looks preferable anyway)
- Arctic Armour

My question is, what is a reasonable price to pay for these on poe.trade? Almost none of the listings have prices (except for the 20%/fully leved ones, which I don't want).

TIA
"
So a couple questions about this... :-)

For the Ice Crash, the Added Fire Damage results in a greater tooltip dps than Weapon Elemental Damage. This makes sense to me since the added fire is a flat increase based on the physical dps, and adds fire damage that wasn't there before, whereas WED simply boosts the existing elemental damage portion of the weapon. Is there an upside WED provides that I'm not seeing?

Lv 20 WED gives 59% more damage,while Added Fire Damage 44%.The damage calculation is as follows (let's say base phys damage is 100,and you have lv 20 Ice Crash)
184% increased -> 184 dmg
damage conversion 50% phys to cold -> 92 phys 92 cold
-> WED increases cold damage 92 * 1.59 = 146,28 cold + 92 physical total damage
-> Added Fire Damage adds 44% of phys as extra fire 92 + 44% = 132 fire + 92 cold + 92 physical
Yes,Added Fire deals more damage,but lacks of synergy with Frostbite.You won't freeze/chill enemies as well as when WED is used.Not only that,assuming you use Added Fire Damage monsters' fire resistances start to matter.

"

I don't have the following gems. They haven't dropped and/or are not available as rewards or from vendors for a marauder.
- Vaal Haste (I have Vaal Grace but Haste seems preferable)
- Frostbite
- Enfeeble (I don't have temporal chains either but enfeeble looks preferable anyway)
- Arctic Armour

My question is, what is a reasonable price to pay for these on poe.trade? Almost none of the listings have prices (except for the 20%/fully leved ones, which I don't want).

TIA

Vaal Haste must be found in corrupted areas,or bought from other players.About Enfeeble,Arctic Armour and Frostbite you can get them from vendors;sadly,marauder has no access to these.But worry not,catch me in game and I'll buy you the stuff from Clarissa at mere cost of orb of chance/alchemy orb at most.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info