Life leech (wiki)

Hya folks!

The wiki on life leech in awakening seems to suggest that hitting one target for 1000 damage and 1% leech will heal 10hp at 100hp/sec over 0.1s (makes sense), but also that hitting 5 targets for 1000 damage will heal 10hp (total!) at a rate of 500hp/s over 0.02s. This seems to very clearly indicate that hitting multiple targets increases only the rate of healing, not the amount healed. Is that correct? Am I miss-reading the example?
The wiki doesn't equivocate - hit one target for 1000dmg, gain 10hp. Hit five targets for 1000dmg, gain 10hp.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Leech
Here's the wiki example I'm reading:
Examples
When using skills such as Dual Strike linked with Melee Splash several enemies are hit at once, the leech rate will vary considerably depending on how many enemies are hit. The character used in the example has the following stats:

p = 5000 maximum life
d = 1000 damage to enemy
l = 1 % life leech
1 Enemy hit
n = 1 leech instances/Enemies
m = 0% increased Life Leeched per second
mmax = 0% of maximum Life per second to maximum Life Leech rate
The recovery rate is:

r = n * p * q * (1 + m) = 1 * 5000 * 0.02 * (1 + 0) = 100 HP/sec
Make sure that the recovery rate doesn't exceed the maximum recovery rate which is

rmax = p * (qmax + mmax) = 5000 * (0.2 + 0) = 1000 HP/sec
The limit has not been exceeded, meaning that no substitution is necessary.

The time it takes to recover the total amount of life leeched is

tdur = d * l / r0 = 1000 * 0.01 / (1 * 5000 * 0.02) = 0.1 seconds
which gives the total life leeched

HP(tdur) = r * tdur = 100 * 0.1 = 10 Life
5 enemies hit at once
n = 5 leech instances/Enemies
The recovery rate is:

r = n * p * q * (1 + m) = 5 * 5000 * 0.02 * (1 + 0) = 500 HP/sec
Make sure that the recovery rate doesn't exceed the maximum recovery rate which is

The limit has not been exceeded, meaning that no substitution is necessary.

tdur = d * l / r0 = 1000 * 0.01 / (5 * 5000 * 0.02) = 0.02 seconds

HP(tdur) = r * tdur = 500 * 0.02 = 10 Life
11 enemies hit at once
n = 11 leech instances/Enemies
The recovery rate is:

r = n * p * q * (1 + m) = 11 * 5000 * 0.02 * (1 + 0) = 1100 HP/sec

The limit has been exceeded, therefore the recovery rate needs to be changed to r = 1000 HP/sec.

tdur = d * l / r0max = 1000 * 0.01 / (5000 * 0.2) = 0.01 seconds

HP(tdur) = r * tdur = 1000 * 0.01 = 10 Life
"
thurmack wrote:
This seems to very clearly indicate that hitting multiple targets increases only the rate of healing, not the amount healed. Is that correct? Am I miss-reading the example?

Probably. You will get the full amount you leeched from each hit you made no matter what and leech rate will also stack up to max.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Anybody tell me plz -can i increase life leech on warlord mark if i increase effect of curses?!
"
NinjaRocket wrote:
Anybody tell me plz -can i increase life leech on warlord mark if i increase effect of curses?!

Yep, that will work just fine. In the same vein, you Leech less against Bosses because they reduce your Curse Effectiveness! If you want to rely on Warlord's Mark, Curse Effect is super good.
"
thurmack wrote:
Hya folks!

The wiki on life leech in awakening seems to suggest that hitting one target for 1000 damage and 1% leech will heal 10hp at 100hp/sec over 0.1s (makes sense), but also that hitting 5 targets for 1000 damage will heal 10hp (total!) at a rate of 500hp/s over 0.02s. This seems to very clearly indicate that hitting multiple targets increases only the rate of healing, not the amount healed. Is that correct? Am I miss-reading the example?
The wiki doesn't equivocate - hit one target for 1000dmg, gain 10hp. Hit five targets for 1000dmg, gain 10hp.

That would be hitting 5 targets for 1k total, not 1k each, correct? Therefore, you would heal 1% of that regardless how many targets you hit.
A Belligerent Expert System
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
NinjaRocket wrote:

Yep, that will work just fine. In the same vein, you Leech less against Bosses because they reduce your Curse Effectiveness! If you want to rely on Warlord's Mark, Curse Effect is super good.

And last question - if i increase effect of curses to 30%, i will leech 2+2*30%=2,6%dmg. Right?! Thanks!
Right, no other way it could work.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"
Rogomatic wrote:
"
thurmack wrote:
Hya folks!

That would be hitting 5 targets for 1k total, not 1k each, correct? Therefore, you would heal 1% of that regardless how many targets you hit.

The wiki seems to suggest 1k EACH, thus my concern.
That wiki entry is both needlessly confusing (it spends a lot of effort defining symbols for things that don't need them and could be ommitted or spelled out) and incorrect.

From the article:

"
n is the number of active leech instances

"
The leech recovery duration in seconds is given by

tdur = d * l / r0

"
r0 = p * n * q

This claims that the duration of each leech effect is dependent on how many leech effects are active, which is blatantly false. They're all independent, apart from counting towards the same cap on total life leeched per second on your character.

Leech is a lot simpler than that article is trying to make it.

Each time you hit a thing and deal damage you can leech from, you'll create add one leech effect to yourself.
The rate of that leech effect is 2% of max life* per second, increased by your "increased life leeched per second" modifiers. E.g. 100% increase would mean each leech effect is leeching at a rate of 4% of maximum life per second.
The duration of each leech effect is simply how long it has to last to recover the correct amount of life, given this fixed rate, i.e. leech_duration = life_leeched / leech_rate

If you have modifiers that give you increased life leeched per second, these apply here to make you actually get more per second, for the same duration.

These individual leech effects stack, but there's also a maximum life leech rate - i.e. the a cap on the total amount of life your character can leech per second. The base cap is 20% of maximum life, but this is cap is added to by the "x% of maximum Life per second to maximum Life Leech rate" stat. so +4% of this stat would mean your total life leech rate is now capped at 24% of maximum life per second, rather than 20%.

If you have enough leech effects on you that the total amount of life you would leech per second would exceed this maximum rate, you instead leech at the maximum rate.

*I've used life throughout, but this is equally true of mana leech
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Oct 19, 2015, 12:19:17 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info