In-Game Trade System: Cancelled?

"
mark1030 wrote:
While I'm not going to waste my time finding the actual GGG quotes about a hideout trade npc (because I already know what I heard), I believe you can find it by listening to the State of Exile podcasts where Chris was the guest. And I think as somebody mentioned it would be one shortly after Forsaken Masters was released.

As to the complaints that poe trade was down and trading ground to a halt, a solution would be for GGG to offer hosting for sites like that. Then if the trade site goes down due to server problems, it will coincide with the game being down as well.

Cool ill just take your word for it.
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
wasted 5 hours of my life trying to spam the trade chat.... got nothing sold or traded

i dont ever see WTT
its always WTS
Domine Non Es Dignus
Please keep in mind that this game is free to play. try to avoid negative words, be thankful GGG was able to make Path of Exile the game that we love

As for improving our trading experience, it would be nice if we as community would collaboratively work on a far better trade search tool than poe.trade.

We already have the infrastructure with /u/trackpete's Exile Tools Public API which is absolutely free. And more importantly the code for the indexer has been open sourced! (open source means anybody can see the source code and can freely improve upon it).

I myself have already made an items search tool that uses ExileTools called Blackmarket:

But it's too sad that we're actually limiting exiletools by not using aquisition plus over aquisition: see forum bumping issue blog post from exiletools. See also my comment here.

There's a lot of things that can be implemented by the community. Here's some of my ideas:

1. Shopping cart - a sort of shortlist of items you've seen are good. This cart can also be smart enough to calculate the total resistance (useful for HC players whom are getting geared for merc difficulty)

2. Add a special highlight for items from Guildmates. Or a highlight for Shop names (exile tools have this data available).

3. Graphs - Pricing history graph, etc. see also:
a. http://exiletools.com/realtime/uniques
b. https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1466686

4. Get notified when an item that was offline is now online (I got this implemented in one of my tools ^^)

5. I'm pretty sure there are far more interesting ideas than these.
PoE-TradeMacro - https://github.com/PoE-TradeMacro/POE-TradeMacro/
ExileTrade - http://exiletrade.github.io/
Last edited by ManicCompression on Nov 21, 2015, 12:24:47 PM
"
Please keep in mind that this game is free to play. try to avoid negative words, be thankful GGG was able to make Path of Exile the game that we love

As for improving our trading experience, it would be nice if we as community would collaboratively work on a far better trade search tool than poe.trade.

We already have the infrastructure with /u/trackpete's Exile Tools Public API which is absolutely free. And more importantly the code for the indexer has been open sourced! (open source means anybody can see the source code and can freely improve upon it).

actually it might not look like that but poe.trade's absolutely free as well
"

But it's too sad that we're actually limiting exiletools by not using aquisition plus over aquisition.

I'd say it's sad that we have to use third party apps at all for something this important to the game. Some of us don't want to have to use them, especially ones which need some level of access to our account info in order to function.
Path of exile has a fully functional trade system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeqU9jkWRy0

http://poe.trade/

https://github.com/Panaetius/PoETradeMonitor

If what you are waiting for is a fully automated system that takes items out of your invintory , then gives them to another player who needs the item , and removes curency from said player and places it in your stash all while your are offline and the system knowes when and how to do this though telepathy from both players linked up to the super computer at GGG central , then your going to be waiting for a fucking long time .

Just a sec let me grab a beer...@#*@ Ok how did I die this time

Learn the rules, it's the only way to exploit them.
"
SirSid wrote:

If what you are waiting for is a fully automated system that takes items out of your invintory , then gives them to another player who needs the item , and removes curency from said player and places it in your stash all while your are offline.

Its called an actual shop. You see those soda pop vending machines? its the same thing A lot of games have it Ingame That is what an ingame item shop means. You can always try to contact the shop owner ingame or on forums to haggle for the price or try to make trades but for all basic purposes that is what a shop is supposed to be. Not this make shift bullshit of an excuse for a shop we have on the forums.

HELL even GGG has it, its the same thing as the Costume effects shop your money is converted to virtual currency i.e coins ( ingame we have orbs ) you use that currency to buy costumes/effects from the shop. the icon says it is a shop....
what more do you need ... all the systems to make it happen are already in place.
Domine Non Es Dignus
Last edited by Zinja on Nov 21, 2015, 11:15:29 PM
"
The reason players are unable to have a better trade experience with GGG's preferred method is GREED.

I think greed is too glib an answer to be true, or anyway, I think that glib answers are never true. What I do believe is that people respond to constraints, so let's look at what's going on with trading.

First off, there's the classic problem that the internet is anonymous. I don't mean this in the classic "so we have free rein to be jerks to each other" sense, but... well, let's actually talk about optimization.

The canonical game theory game is the Prisoner's Dilemma: You and a colleague steal a precious vase, but the evidence is circumstantial. You're taken to separate interrogation rooms and offered an odd deal: you can testify against your partner. If both of you betray each other, you'll each get one year in jail. If you betray your partner and he stays quiet, he'll get five years and you'll walk free, and vice versa: if you stay quiet and he betrays you, you'll get five years and he'll walk. If you both stay quiet, you both walk.

According to Nash, the ideal strategy is to always betray, which I don't find particularly interesting or illuminating, what with Nash being a paranoid schizophrenic and his modeling having little relevance outside President Merkin Muffley's war room. But there's two facts that are illuminating: First, when people are presented with the dilemma but not primed with any math, they'll tend to cooperate. Second, when people are told the math, but allowed to engage in "unstructured interaction" (that is, hanging out) with another player before choosing cooperate/betray, they'll tend to cooperate.

People mean well, and we prefer to get along, but when interaction is stripped of context and sociality, Nash's formalism isn't so far-fetched. This is a way in which the internet is a sad parody of human interaction. It's easy to slip into a mindset that we're not dealing with people, but with fictional accounts of people. Sort of like what goes on with gossip, where it's hard to step back and say, "wait, this is just some person's motivated reasoning about what happened, and these people they're talking about are the cartoon characters that live in their mind."

Trade in liberal society is impersonalized, so it's easy to believe that everyone's out to screw everyone else and compromise is when everyone's unhappy. You go to the grocery store, and you're not buying a fifth of whiskey from a person, but from an ethereal blob called Kroger (or one of its subsidiaries), and the entity at the checkout counter is just a face and a uniform, and it's hard to feel any moral accountability to any of that.

Is that greed? Maybe, I'm not really sure what greed is, to be honest. I do know that the internet is the experience of shopping at Kroger, magnified and distorted beyond recognition. But then I've never understood Chris Wilson's strange theory that he'd have a game that's simultaneously impersonalized, resource-scarce, and not cutthroat.
In your final sentence, you've summed up the challenge GGG presents those of the playerbase wishing to succeed in the PoE economy.

"
But then I've never understood Chris Wilson's strange theory that he'd have a game that's simultaneously impersonalized, resource-scarce, and not cutthroat.

All you need to understand is that it is an experiment. The entire reason behind PoE for GGG is to present a set of (sometimes bizarre) circumstances and see who does well and how they did it.

My feeling is successful game economy players use a combination and balance of political schmoozing to achieve their goals. The truly greedy fail and whine about it.

Either way, people can forget about ever getting the lazy-trade/shopping solution, because that is where the social experiment (and fun) ends for Chris & GGG.
It's probably true of the real world that getting very rich requires either having emerged from the correct uterus, or happening to meet the right people---and the two are joined at the hip. But yeah, extreme success in either case probably has little connection to merit. That being said, I think a lot of the design missteps in Path of Exile stem from rose-tinted memories of games like Diablo 2, Ultima Online, and Everquest.

I don't think the game is a social experiment, because then, what's the methodology, what're the results, what's the objective? Poke the complex system and see what happens? That lacks generalizability. If what you want is an explanation of something, hodgepodge factoids isn't really ideal. Actual scientists make this same mistake, but the difference is, they publish papers about their context-free findings.

No, I think the folks at GGG are in fact interested in making an ARPG that caters to their tastes. I also think the game is insanely liberal (in the Adam Smith sense); after all, Wilson seems to think trade and sociality are the same thing.

That conflation seems to be the origin of this mess, and that's the kind of bad intention that leads one straight to hell.
Last edited by sphericalvoxel on Nov 22, 2015, 4:02:53 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info