[rant] So I played TERA up to level 30

Took a break from PoE and tried an MMORPG since I've never really played one.

The game is beautiful, cool monsters, cool places. Fighting Naga's is great bec it can kill you; although the game is softcore (practically no penalties when you die). That naga fight has some mechanics that you can dodge etc.

Other than that... the grind to endgame is suicide.. I've stopped caring about the story at around level 20.

I'm losing hope in grinding.. Specially now that I saw Corsair Stronghold,.. crazy. Wonder why I got into a battle full of level 65 players. And since my ping is ~250ms, it sucks for me. And also, why did I saw a dodge mustang?

Running back and forth in Velika acting as errand man for NPCs. Mailman simulator game. It's just taking so long traveling back and forth, in-city or extra-city.

Anybody played this game? How is it in end-game? is there build diversity?

Edit: Played Slayer
PoE-TradeMacro - https://github.com/PoE-TradeMacro/POE-TradeMacro/
ExileTrade - http://exiletrade.github.io/
Last edited by ManicCompression on Aug 21, 2015, 12:48:08 PM
You just described my experience in every MMO ive ever tried to play. I feel like an errand boy out fetching things at the grocery store :( I dont think MMOs are for me.
IGN:Dethklok
lllllDanziGGlllll - 100 Ranger ~ HOGM
Mirror Service: View-thread/2479762
Old:870532
"
Dethklok wrote:
You just described my experience in every MMO ive ever tried to play. I feel like an errand boy out fetching things at the grocery store :( I dont think MMOs are for me.

Have you tried GW2? How is it?

I watched the Developer company's President saying that "the journey is the game". And i believe that means leveling is the game, and not end-game. They also have this 'no-grind' policy.

On tera: Why is it that leveling quests like this exist in MMO? Can't they just make a game as fine as D2 and turn it to an MMO but in 3D third person?
Last edited by ManicCompression on Aug 21, 2015, 8:21:10 PM
You just described every mmo i've played up until now. The griiiiind!! ;-;

I gave tera like 3 tries by now and the farthest i got was like level 30 or some shit. Too boring..

I'll be trying guild wars 2 with some friends soon though. Questing isn't the typical go fetch this or go kill 5 of these and come back shit from what i've been told. The world looks like it'll be fun to explore and the combat system and pvp seem to be great fun.

Gonna be getting pc upgrades, a mic and hopping on teamspeak or raidcall with them and finally chatting with the poe guild on raidcall soon which will hopefully keep me interested for more than a few days. :')
Ugh effort
"
aStrayGami wrote:

I gave tera like 3 tries by now and the farthest i got was like level 30 or some shit. Too boring..

I'll be trying guild wars 2 with some friends soon though. Questing isn't the typical go fetch this or go kill 5 of these and come back shit from what i've been told. The world looks like it'll be fun to explore and the combat system and pvp seem to be great fun.

Gonna be getting pc upgrades, a mic and hopping on teamspeak or raidcall with them and finally chatting with the poe guild on raidcall soon which will hopefully keep me interested for more than a few days. :')

I was gonna give Tera a try again today, but, dem steam wants to download 8gb of update for it, whats worse is that this wasn't announced (even now). reading on the forums, they seem to messed up. dem.

Checkout ziggyd's old video about GW2. I must say, very low view count, but quality vid nonetheless.

Wish I can spare 50usd for GW2. Gonna download World of warships for now
"
"
aStrayGami wrote:

I was gonna give Tera a try again today, but, dem steam wants to download 8gb of update for it, whats worse is that this wasn't announced (even now). reading on the forums, they seem to messed up. dem.

Checkout ziggyd's old video about GW2. I must say, very low view count, but quality vid nonetheless.

Wish I can spare 50usd for GW2. Gonna download World of warships for now

Oo i didn't know ziggy covered GW2. I'll watch that.

GW2 for me is 35 pounds which is the base game + pre-order expansion as you probably know. Just the base game is about 17 pound on amazon though.
Ugh effort
The whole leveling experience in tera is a lot smoother than it was back when it launched, and "the grind" isn't bad...actually quite enjoyable rounding up mobs and slaughtering groups of them at once.

The problem for me came once you reached the cap(the old one of 60) you didn't have much to do outside dungeons and endless grinding for mats and something to sell.

Even now, with the new level cap and areas it's just more grinding and it just doesn't seem to be rewarding at all,monsters barely drop anything and you are left to gear up via quest rewards every few levels or so.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Ah, that game where several people called me a pedo for playing Elin. Good times.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
GW2 is almost the opposite, not always to its advantage. You have all your main skills by level 5 or 6, you can level in any zone due to character scaling, and there are skin transfers. It's great for casually running around a giant world doing cool stuff (it's a favourite weekend timer killer for me and the GF) but not really something you can sink your teeth into build-wise.

But for the price of entry, GW2 is amazing value. I respect that in this age of f2p/p2w, it's stuck to the buy to play model and has *minimal* cash shop advantages (exp booster, loot booster). That all said, PoE is so far off the f2p/p2w scale that it's sort of hard to go from it to *any* other game that has a cash shop, f2p or otherwise.

Thanks for mentioning this. Can you expound more on GW2's gameplay? What makes you play it? What aspects of it makes it fun? What happens when you die in GW2?

"
lagwin1980 wrote:
The whole leveling experience in tera is a lot smoother than it was back when it launched, and "the grind" isn't bad...actually quite enjoyable rounding up mobs and slaughtering groups of them at once.

Yep definitely, fortunately I discovered this not very late. But I spent a good amount of time killing mobs one by one out of 20.
I tried Tera twice, couldnt get into it, highest I got was like level 42 or something this last time. Stopped playing right before the Gunner update. Made a Lancer and a Beserker(or w/e it was)

Other than that I couldnt get into GW2 either. Tried like 3 times, did a necro, elementalist, and warrior. I had individual greivances with each class but elementalist was the furthest I got since I enjoyed the way they did the class the most. Otherwise I just heavily disliked the skill system.

I played Fiesta way back when I was like 12. It was meh, though again I was like 12

Other then that the only MMO thats snared me in is DDO, but thats cuz I love D&D and I'm able to pull characters across to either one though it's changed quite a bit. Still never got super far into it though, Level 16 was my highest and it was a Elf Wizard who I bounced between Pale Mancer and Archwizard back when they had just the two Prestiges and the Weird AP sytem that I liked.

now it's a generic skill-tree but It makes it easier to due cross-class multi-prestige builds so I guess in terms of build diversity it's a lot better than it was.
Not my real account anymore, use it for forums while I work
You might also know me as "Thisisnotmyrealaccount" to which I forgot the E-mail for.
My real account is Einkil1, it's my steam account which is why I can't access it at work >.>

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info