PoE's performance is poor for a lot of people

I really don't wan't this lingering issue be buried among the the to-do list when it is clearly the most pivotal problem that must be tackled post lockstep. Any future development hinges on how it is dealt with the earliest possible time. Do something about it GGG.
GGG realy has it hard
they have increased performance by quite a bit over the year.

but no1 is happy about it. all they do is continue complaining as if nothings changed...

i for 1 am happy with the progress GGG has made.

i can actually play the game now w/o the --nosound option + lowering my resolution+ playdo mode and actually have better fps now.

i do realize due to hardware differences not every1 will have the performance increase that i have gotten.
but surely people must have noticed something.
"
SjakaWaka wrote:

but surely people must have noticed something.

I noticed 1.3 was the most stable Path Of Exile for me, so far.
The Awakening took it 3 steps back in my case.
not only in terms of performance, but mainly stability: crashes, log-outs, exceptions and "ping-lockups".

it's horrible, really.
for the first time since very, very early Open Beta, I'm struggling to even play the game.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Well, the dev QA didn't convince me. Miracle bump.
<3 Free Tibet <3
+1
@OP Amen. I was pulling my hair out for weeks trying to "fix" my machine because of this game' poor performance issues. I eventually came to the conclusion that it's not my machine that needs fixing. I've written several posts about it so I won't bother going into all the detail in this one again but you are 100% right.
I've had only a handful of party play this expansion because it's just not fun to watch my screen tanking with sub 20 fps dips. Also...it seems to me that GGG has remained pretty quiet on this subject.
i <3 minesweeper
"
Alt-Tabbing also diverts processing from the client to other windows/applications running hence why it gets frame rate chopped up. When I play PoE I usually close other open Windows to maximize performance.

Shouldn't be required on a PC of the calibre that I have.

(Also doesn't help me).

"
Shimaran wrote:
I'm starting to think GGG and Nvidia are purposely making the game slower and more difficult to play smoothly to force us buying new graphic cards. Such arrangements aren't uncommon in the gaming industry...

PoE doesn't have the userbase for that to be a profitable venture for nVidia.

"
SjakaWaka wrote:
"
LMHTB wrote:
they should really fix the performance issues ...

a year ago i was playing poe with an average of 10-15 fps

now am playing with an average over the 30fps

They are clearly working on it.
but this is not the kind of issue you solve on the drop of a hat.

They're changing things, not necessarily improving. A year ago I was 50+ pretty much all the time, now I'm lucky to break 30 on a better PC.

"
VauThragna wrote:
I somehow manage to play this game (and kill Malachai) with sub 4 fps, sometimes even turning into 2-3 seconds per frame. While my fps in warframe is twice/threefold higher.

I don't think GGG is in any position to change the core problem behind the fps drops though, it may have been a bad design choice at the time that is now biting us.

Our best bet may very well be to hope that if Path of Exile ever gets a sequel, it will be better optimized, being able to reach a proper 30+ fps at all times.

Meanwhile, even though I left PoE for 2 yrs, I'll enjoy the game (with its fps drops) for now.

Speaking as a programmer: This is an awful attitude. Technical debt (what you're describing) is accrued in exchange for faster releasing, and needs to be paid off at some point. Hoping for a sequel to fix issues is a very bad thing.

"
Runeword wrote:
[snip] it seems to me that GGG has remained pretty quiet on this subject.

Because it's subjective. It can result in player dissonance if they say they've increased performance, and players with poor habits (bloatware, installing on a fragmented HDD), or poor PCs, have the same or worse performance.

Also, they don't have a tool like EVE Probe (mentioned in my OP), so they can't roll out an update and guarantee that it's better for x% of users.
sigfault
Last edited by Asday on Sep 1, 2015, 6:14:37 PM
"
Opinionated wrote:
Well, the dev QA didn't convince me. Miracle bump.

Did any of the devs actually comment on this thread? I must have missed it.

BTW ground effects (AA and vaal ice nova, im looking at you) make my PC cry bukkits. Perhaps all the models are just too complex for regular card to process? Too many polygons and all?
Perhaps PoE should just migrate to Source or Source 2 :P Wonder if that'd help :P
GGG please stop coming out with new micros and work on the games engine, I've got a pretty decent computer; I can run most games on max resolution and high graphics but here I'm forced to turn down my graphics in the game files and still lag. Mostly because of Exile boxes... You guys need to take exiles out of boxes if they are going to cause your screen to freeze. That's just one major issue with frames, there's plenty more.
https://www.change.org/p/grinding-gear-games-new-engine-for-path-of-exile

Sign for new engine =]
Bump, for great justice!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info