Trendspotting: POE Playerbase almost halved on Steam alone since the release of Awakening

The Map Wall I hit at ~73 and the struggle to get over it took me from ~70 to like 87 running 72/73 alched maps and Chisseling the 74s rolling packsize and as much stuff as possible.

If I hadn´t managed to climb over it, yes even reach a single 82 Map at some point - I think I had stopped playing this league aswell taking into consideration that my Chaos are worth nothing compared to
other leagues and I have yet to find an EX with 1x90 1x88 1x82 and 1x~76 Char. I mean I was hoping to finally be able to play Windripper/Mjolnir/Volt because their price dropped by like 30 EX, but here I am not even able to afford a Rats Nest or Malis - And yes to some extend it is also due to me spending currency on my Maps (rolling) but you need to know that I enjoy doing Higher-Maps with crazy mods and can´t stand the Idea of selling every 76+ Map just to buy some Items to start another build.

I can understand that 78+ Maps are Endgame content and should not drop frequently but the fact that some people are forced to buy maps to progress even to 75/76s Maps is ridicoulus, as I myself would never spend currency on buying Maps, because it would ruin my Idea of progression.

E.G Recently I saw some 95 dude do 72+ Map Runs for free and when I asked him why he was running such low maps he told me that he had dropped down from his whole Maps, down from 80s. This shouldn´t be possible at all. You should be able to sustain atleast 75 Maps in my opinion.

Just my 2 Cents on possible dropoff.

MfG Transom - Gn8
"
MarcEric wrote:

I guess I'm just done, and I realize I am not the only one.

And that's fine. Also no amount of improvements to the game could change that :) Sometimes you're simply done and that's it.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
Regarding maps, and current population of PoE, here's a recent Dev Manifesto post by Qarl:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1389504#p11380084

"
Qarl wrote:
2.0.0 introduced several changes to maps. While many elements have been received well, there have been growing comments about some issues with maps.

We have been looking at what is happening with mapping. We want to know what is working with 2.0.0 and 2.0.1 map changes, and what isn't.

The first thing to note is that we have a lot of data, because there is a lot of mapping happening. Over three million maps are being run each week. We have more players mapping, and more players going past the first tier of maps than we ever have before.
Changes to early maps have been successful. Having introductory map mods has allowed players to interact with rolled maps earlier. More of our player base is mapping, and are continuing to map through to higher map tiers.

Many players have expressed concerns that they hit a wall around level 74 or level 75. The statistics bear this out, and vividly show us there is a problem. There is a serious bump of maps being run at level 73, more than at level 72, and then a solid dive at level 74. This is partially due to level 74 being where the harder mods kick in. The harder mods can be discouraging. However, the shaping of map drops also is a big factor in the divide between 73 and 74.

The problem is much more pronounced in Standard and Warbands than Tempest. The drop rates we have seem to suit the mapping styles of hardcore more, where players are more likely to build up a base of maps, and work up through their maps, rather than always running their highest map.

Around 80% of maps are run in non-hardcore leagues, so we do need to make sure the drop rates fit the dominant styles of play. We will be amending our map drops to smooth the curve into level 74-79 maps.

Maps in the level 80 to 82 range are rarely run relative to other maps. This is intended; these maps are supposed to be dangerous and special, and are also intended to be not sustained in the same way as other maps. Expert players can (and do) maintain 79+ map level runs, but within the range are forced to play a variety of maps. We do also see more hoarding of maps in this level range, where players often choose to not run these maps (we assume until they improve their character).

In summary, we have achieved many goals we set out to achieve - more players are mapping, and finding their way into deeper maps. There are genuine issues that players are feeling, telling us about, and that require changes.

We want to make the bulk of the drop changes in 2.0.2 where we can easily see the results. We will discuss the changes in the 2.0.2 patch notes next week.

Somebody is playing 3 million maps a week, so I'd say these numbers are pretty concrete, relative to "Steam charts." After all, the majority of players, as a statistic, are prolly not regular mappers, so, healthy, yeah? =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
"
Raycheetah wrote:
Regarding maps, and current population of PoE, here's a recent Dev Manifesto post by Qarl:

<...>

Somebody is playing 3 million maps a week, so I'd say these numbers are pretty concrete, relative to "Steam charts." After all, the majority of players, as a statistic, are prolly not regular mappers, so, healthy, yeah? =^[.]^=
ok, let's see...
-one map takes 5 minutes (we are talking about "regular mappers"="high-level no-life cooki-cutter-build grinders", right?)
-12 maps/(man*hour)
-let's assume they map 15 hrs/day, so 160maps/(man*day)
-7 days a week, so 1260maps/(man*week)
3000000/1260 = 2380 mappers. Well, let it even be 3000.
Oops, that's too low, something is wrong. But that's because we assumed that all mappers are nolifers, well this isn't true (I hope) But even if we tenfold that amount we have only 30k mappers... wait, what did that steamcharts say? 15k total steam players? Looks like they aren't so wrong after all :)
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
Lotta assumptions, there. Running 1,260 maps per week? =0[.]o=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
Playing this game since closed beta and I'm not surprised at players leaving game. I'm one of the on-off players. Game is more or less made for hardcore players and it is not new, solo or casual players friendly game. Once you go through quests and start mapping/crafting/trading it gets very fast tedious, boring and very annoying in some parts. Ill keep checking on game once in a while they have some meaningful update. Hopefully GGG can come up with recipe to retain players.

The summary and the intermediate status so far:

- The majority of people in this thread want basically the 1.3 version back but including lockstep, loot filters and act 4.

- The majority of people in this thread having much less fun with 2.0 than back with 1.3.

- The majority of people in this thread understand and are able to reproduce that the playerbase shrunk due to the results of the 1.4 patch

- A few people have stated that it's all good as it is.

- Some people are also able to reproduce the player decrease in regard to the latest patch but they'll basically don't care.

- A few people don't feel comfortable with such threads and they'll take such topics as some kind of a threat.

- Particular people say it's absolutely normal to lose theoretically 50% of the playerbase within a month and therfore it doesn't work as an indicator.

- Best Signature Ever -
Last edited by BestUsernameEver on Aug 13, 2015, 1:22:18 PM
"

- A few people don't feel comfortable with such threads and they'll take such topics as some kind of a threat.

Can only speak for myself, but just because I dont like a thread doesnt mean I take it as threat (and really, unless someone said it, you shouldnt put words in their mouths), its just needless, pointless, meaningless; obvious.
There's always a decrease and this one isnt even that big.
This applies in more markets as well. and the way you are wording things is misleading.

If you look at the actual charts you have provided (http://steamcharts.com/app/238960#3m), even with loss this is the largest the community has been ever besides first few months on release. (which again is natural that the game first months of life hold record for number of players).

It will decrease more even, but so far, while the loss percentage is bigger, the numbers of actual players still in is larger than in any other expansion.

Ill conclude with this, by numbers,there should still be more players content with the game than those whining on the forums.

Spoiler
this doesnt mean I agree with everything in the current state of the game, just disagree with misleading tactics to reinforce some point to which you hold bias.

I think some positive changes would help retain more as well
Spoiler
and its patch 2.0, not 1.4
Oblivious
Last edited by Disrupted on Aug 13, 2015, 12:19:58 PM
"
Disrupted wrote:
Spoiler
and its patch 2.0, not 1.4

Spoiler
Indeed, my bad thank's a bunch
- Best Signature Ever -
"

The summary and the intermediate status so far:

- The majority of people in this thread want basically the 1.3 version back but including lockstep, loot filters and act 4.

- The majority of people in this thread having much less fun with 2.0 than back with 1.3.

- The majority of people in this thread understand and are able to reproduce that the playerbase shrunk due to the results of the 1.4 patch

- A few people have stated that it's all good as it is.

- Some people are also able to reproduce the player decrease in regard to the latest patch but they'll basically don't care.

- Particular people say it's absolutely normal to lose theoretically 50% of the playerbase within a month and therfore it doesn't work as an indicator.

It's a bad summary if people can't read graphs properly

When the game was first released:

Oct 2013: 32k players

Slowly dropped down to 15kish by Jan 2014

Every large version update had a bump in players which then the playerbase would half again.

Jul 14 update boost back to 24k

Slow crawl all the way down to 5k players in the 1.3 version of the game before 2.0 update.

Shoot back up to 32k players again (exact same numbers as release) when 2.0 is released.

Get cut in half similar to the oct 2013 to jan 2014 when the game was in the prime.

~.~?

Legit we have the same 10k people in the game (steam version) we always had basically unless more people are retained because of 2.0

Version 1.3 had the lowest playerbase of 5k for a couple of months out of any PoE version.

Like at least read the entire god damn steam chart LOL
Last edited by RagnarokChu on Aug 14, 2015, 1:19:16 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info