TUTORIAL - How to play Path of Exile on LINUX

Success on Linux 64

This is a quick post of a very happy player

Linux Mint 17.3 64-bit , KDE Edition, PoE with Steam, 64 bit wine environment.

- Fresh install of this distrib, updated and upgraded packages.
- Some work to get Nvidia GTX 970 4GB working (an other topic)

I've read http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Path_of_Exile_on_Wine for some details (set Windows 8).

The main steps:

Playonlinux
- Make a new virtual drive 64 bit
- Set Wine version "1.8 Steam with crossover hack"
- Install Steam, download PoE, quit
- Set Wine version "1.7.27-PathOfExile-1.7.27"
- Run PoE with a new shortcut
- Set options for full screen at your native resolution

Result: full working game, high details everywhere in display options, running at 60 fps.

In case of crazy 3D : Disable KDE compositing with Alt-Shift-F12

Note: No winetricks done.

Some weird things I've noticed:
- at the end of some text lines: a small rectangle (a font issue I guess), not a big deal (maybe I should have done the usp10 trick)
- 3D- in submerged area after flat muds: big squares, black tiles and one floating sticked to my character, quite annoying but playable.

I hope this will help others and maybe the first post could be updated.
Last edited by Bluflonalgul on Feb 3, 2016, 1:47:23 AM
Good old opengl working wonders. Using these settings and dip a bit in breaches but able to do, as long as i dont stand on their frost bomb or other crap.

I had mine dipping to 40 fps before 2.4. It got really bad after 2.4 (3fps) but playable again now.

Last edited by Chadwixx on Dec 14, 2016, 4:14:06 AM
The fps bar dip was because i alt-tabbed, very steady now though

Display

Video memory size 4096 (or highest).

I have a 2 gig card and everything is much smoother, no mem issue yet. Its almost like vid allocated mem is system allocated mem
Hi all, wanted to say I really appreciate the effort in advance to get this game working on linux.

I've installed using PoL but I have a strobe light effect/severe flickering in the game and on the login screen. Interestingly, all the UI overlays are stable. for example, on the login screen the text boxes to enter account name and password and server are stable as well as the PoE logo. The background with the marooned ship rocking in the rain is a disco rave nightmare of epileptic proportions. same is true for inventory, health and mana globes etc. but the character and environment are unplayable.

Wondering if anyone has the same problems or could advise a bit.

Settings:

Linux Mint 18
Nvidia GTX 970
Vsync is off
wine versions 1.7.55 & 1.9.24

Tried a few other settings and options from this thread and the Wine thread linked, but no success yet.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: seems to have been engine multithreading. disabled that and it helped quite a bit.
Last edited by MrFitzGe on Dec 28, 2016, 12:14:07 PM
just for info.

poe works:

debian 9 (testing)
amd r9 280 (need firmware-non-free and xorg-radeon) don't install official drivers
playonlinux (must architecture i386)
test with wine 2.0

without parameters, the game is very slow, but works.

disable shadow;post processing;disable multi;disabled fsaa =works better with 1-120 fps.

i can't disable glsl = message error "shadow model 3 must be supported".

Last edited by senfou on Feb 19, 2017, 6:34:37 AM
i cannot use wifi so no internet idk how to setup
Just tried it on Linux Mint 18.1 KDE.
Intel i5-4670, 8GB RAM
GTX 660Ti, NVIDIA proprietary driver v375.39
Play On Linux 4.2.10
I'm not really sure which version of Wine did POL use, prolly 1.7.55 32bit

Installed it mostly following the instructions on wiki, didn't get into all the tweaks I've seen there and in this thread, tho. Started it nicely, with everything maxed I get 40-60fps on 1080p but it feels choppy, frame times are high. When I apply settings recommended on wiki, it goes to 80-100+ fps but it often dips a lot, to 20 even. I also had a misfortune of my internet connection deciding to go crazy with lag spikes so I died with my HC char...ah, well. For science.

For some reason, I cannot change texture quality, even after fiddling with .ini file, it stays locked to Medium. My OS is 64bit, it shouldn't be that way.

I might try to fiddle with some more settings, maybe test newer version of Wine...as it is, it's definitely playable but far from experience on Windows.
After 4 days of headache and many try, There is my solution to make poe work in wine

There's no more .msi to install the game, it's now a new .exe install file. I got an error when I tried to install poe from the .exe in Wine. I tried with steam but x86 distro are no more supported in steamn. The best solution for people who have a x86 distro of linux is to install the game on a windows pc and copy the directory from program files in your wine setup. It work like a charm now.
"
After 4 days of headache and many try, There is my solution to make poe work in wine

There's no more .msi to install the game, it's now a new .exe install file. I got an error when I tried to install poe from the .exe in Wine. I tried with steam but x86 distro are no more supported in steamn. The best solution for people who have a x86 distro of linux is to install the game on a windows pc and copy the directory from program files in your wine setup. It work like a charm now.

It's works perfectly for me. Thk you so much man.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info