TUTORIAL - How to play Path of Exile on LINUX

Dear all,

As linux only user I would like to share an easy way to play Path of Exile on our linux machine, hoping in a native Linux version to be released soon.

In this tutorial we will be using Play on Linux, just follow the steps it is really easy.

1. Go to http://www.playonlinux.com/en/download.html and donwload the version of Play on Linux for your distribution.

Detailed explanation for Ubuntu inside the spoiler

Spoiler
I am an Ubuntu 12.10 64bit user, therefore I did the following:

- Add the ppa key:
wget -q "http://deb.playonlinux.com/public.gpg" -O- | sudo apt-key add -

- Now add the ppa itself (the command below is on one line):
sudo wget http://deb.playonlinux.com/playonlinux_precise.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/playonlinux.list

- Refresh the repository list
sudo apt-get update

- Install Play on Linux
sudo apt-get install playonlinux

2. Once Play on Linux is installed open it and follow the instructions it will ask you to install some windows fonts. Once the process is concluded we are ready to start.

3. Click on the install button and another window will open, the first time it will take a while to update all the game database. Once the update is finished search for Path of Exile, you will have only one choice.

4. Follow the wizard installation procedures and Path of Exile will be installed on your pc.

5. Once the installation process is finished you will have 2 icons on your desktop. Path of Exile.lnk (which you can delete) and Path of Exile. Double click on Path of Exile.

6. The "Checking Resources" process will now start. It will take a couple of seconds. After that the "Allocating Space" process will start, this time it might take a while before finishing (it took me several hours). Just wait until the process is finished.

7. Close the window and re-open Path of Exile.

8. Have fun!

N.B. Everytime there is an update it will be done automatically when you open Path of Exile. Still once the update is finished you must close the window and re-open path of Exile.

At the moment I can play with all settings at max without any issues at all.

I hope that this guide will help you to play this fantastic game.

Cheers
Last edited by ilcontegis on Feb 12, 2013, 9:27:52 PM
Last bumped on Dec 14, 2017, 2:16:35 AM
Cool thanks, I will give this a try once I finish installing ubuntu on my laptop.
Works for me, but my framerate is not great (at max settings I get a consistent 30fps, which is about half what I get in Windows). Running Linux Mint with Mate.
"
KalROFL wrote:
Works for me, but my framerate is not great (at max settings I get a consistent 30fps, which is about half what I get in Windows). Running Linux Mint with Mate.

Try turning off vsync if you have it enabled.
My monitor's refresh rate is 60Hz, so even with vsync on that wouldn't explain the problem. But I turned vsync off and the issue remains.
For those of you that want to try WINE directly instead of a WINE-wrapper, check out this thread. It also contains a lot of common problems, and is a good place to ask for help on specific errors.
Ok, I have Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon running on 2 GB of memory I am currently trying to get Path of Exile to work and it is for the most part but it loads slow and whenever i try to type in my email and password the game crashes. Does anyone know how to fix this.
"
KalROFL wrote:

Maybe your Linux partition / game are installed on a different physical drive not as performant ?
"
Compwhiz443 wrote:
Ok, I have Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon running on 2 GB of memory I am currently trying to get Path of Exile to work and it is for the most part but it loads slow and whenever i try to type in my email and password the game crashes. Does anyone know how to fix this.

Sadly, PoE takes alot of ressources.
You would have to add the rest of your specs so we can get a better idea but knowing that you only have 2GB of RAM makes me believe you do not run on a recent board with a high performance CPU.

Also, if you could had your GPU that would help alot.
"
KalROFL wrote:

Google how to set UseGLSL in the wine registry and set it to disabled. You should see a big performance improvement.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info