Life Gain on Hit

"
Lo4f wrote:
"
Zaanus wrote:
As a very tankish oriented 30s templar who had Blood Magic, I tried putting this on my primary attack, Glacial Hammer.

End result, it cost me 8 hp to return 10hp per monster whacked. Not really worth the socket :)

Try supporting Ground Slam or whatever your favorite AoE is with Life Gain on Hit and you may like the results better. Also a great gem for use with AoE spells, especially for Blood Magic users.

That's probably true, but there are no AoE attacks for 1hm users. Sweep & Ground Slam are 2h iirc, so i think that only leaves cleave, which I might try to use if I get a bunch of dex and find a decent sword.
I'd say that this need a penalty for large aoe attacks. I specify large to leave out skills such as cleave and sweep which are rather limited in size.
I have a question about this support gem. my gem is granting +18 to life upon hit according to the gem description, but when I look at the character page and look at the offense for the skill i have it linked to it says 18%. Is this just a typo and if so is GGG aware of it?
I couldn't find mention of it in the bugs forum.
"
jmschmitz23 wrote:
I have a question about this support gem. my gem is granting +18 to life upon hit according to the gem description, but when I look at the character page and look at the offense for the skill i have it linked to it says 18%. Is this just a typo and if so is GGG aware of it?
I couldn't find mention of it in the bugs forum.
That typo has been fixed for 0.9.6
"
Zaanus wrote:
That's probably true, but there are no AoE attacks for 1hm users. Sweep & Ground Slam are 2h iirc, so i think that only leaves cleave, which I might try to use if I get a bunch of dex and find a decent sword.
Ground Slam works with one-handed maces, not just two-handed.
All feedback after this point is for 0.9.6.
Balance & Design
As others have noted, this is very strong for AOE physical attacks. I'm currently using this with sweep in the following item:
Unavailable

This coupled with Blood Magic and the Life Leeched on hit/death passives make for a very strong combo. Refer to my chars passive tree below:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQEAi8kED7ei0Goq6vOP4ytoRah2tD1ysqVuqg4KMJtvQkpCjDFZMZNJ95yDYtuZt1eyz4Pden3biS5jI3iU1IvEq8dBqpYlOwZ_5pCkcHwsV3pHEit0EMKVM82xIFdvKk8a8W37pivNx0OGfSmyueU_vah4LXuE1xwSFxUX1hapnzbL1RfPS7CruAHOOIu7ikAZ0z_wewDU5OZkw7JG

I think the starting point of +10 for the level that this gem is first attainable is a little too high and I think a starting value of perhaps +5 may be more appropriate?
"So Shines a Good Deed in a Weary World" - Willy Wonker
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
I agree with Rickety, that the +life per hit should start a bit lower on this gem.

I'm using this gem on my axe/shield marauder combined with faster attacks, added fire, and cleave. With bonuses from my other gear I'm getting 34 life for each enemy hit, not counting some %life leech

Unavailable

Even using blood magic this combo has made me practically untouchable; even when fighting against single targets.

Perhaps starting the +life at 6, and increasing by 2 per level for the first few levels.
Last edited by trixytim on Mar 5, 2012, 11:24:58 AM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
"
trixytim wrote:
I agree with Rickety, that the +life per hit should start a bit lower on this gem.

I'm using this gem on my axe/shield marauder combined with faster attacks, added fire, and cleave. With bonuses from my other gear I'm getting 34 life for each enemy hit, not counting some %life leech

Lowering the +life per hit would kill its utility for single target attacks, and the fact you are missing out on Weapon Elemental Damage or Melee Physical Damage supports for your cleave seems like a pretty balanced opportunity cost.
"
Lowering the +life per hit would kill its utility for single target attacks, and the fact you are missing out on Weapon Elemental Damage or Melee Physical Damage supports for your cleave seems like a pretty balanced opportunity cost.

I see your point. I guess what I was trying to get at was the initial bonus on this gem was sort of a tipping point for my build.

At the point in the game when I could use this gem a +10 life on hit was huge. Regardless of my physical damage I could gain about 25 (2.5 att / sec) life vs. a single target (worst case scenario) from this gem alone.

Since I had already stacked some life regen and + life on hit to provide for blood magic this was all frosting. What I found was that I went from having to be careful around boss/unique monsters and their packs, to not even needing a flask. I could just run in and cleave for 10 seconds without worry (my axe was weak at this point)

Now don't get me wrong, I don't want to see this nerfed. The sudden boost in power made my marauder feel awesome, and I want to keep that. It would be cool if that feeling of growing power could be stretched out a bit.

What I was thinking is that +6 life on hit at level one would still be a noticeable power boost and have some of that 'wow factor', but as the gem leveled up you would see noticeable increases in power.

Right now compared to that initial boost I can't really notice any difference when it levels up. Just a thought.

Last edited by trixytim on Mar 6, 2012, 11:56:48 AM
"
Lo4f wrote:
"
trixytim wrote:

Maybe they should split the bonus for single target or AoE skill.
With a fast AoE skill, the life gain on hit make life leech ridiculous, you don't even need to deal damage to heal yourself.
PoE forums ignore list script:
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/162657

0.4: added "ignore" button. ignore list is now saved locally.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info