You break the game, or the game breaks you

Trading (and "the economy") is the quintessential competition in even a purely PvE world. Some people call it "competitive PvE" and I agree with that description.

Then there's ladders, races, and of course, direct PvP in order of declining participation. (Oh and races are a little bit screwy because the rewards feed right back into ladders and trading.)

If you don't care about trading or ladders or even playing with other people at all, then of course you will see no reason for GGG to balance anything in this game. But then again, you're not playing the game GGG is making; you're playing a derivative of the game of your own design.
Deleting .ggpk file breaks it pretty well :^)
IGN: PojzonAbyss
[3.2] Immortal Indigon Poet's Pen Hirophant - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2129766
[3.1] Yamata No Orochi - Oni-Goroshi Jugg http://poeurl.com/bHB9
[2.4] The True Queen Of The Forest - Poison LA/BR Pathfinder http://poeurl.com/M6u [Retired]
I guess I'll have to repeat some things.

I'm not appealing for adjustment of player vs. player balance, i.e. "buff this and nerf this". I'm appealing for a slight upward adjustment of players' power relative to the game. If done correctly, this will not affect the competitive aspect of the game. So, again:

Whether or not the game is competitive at its core is, at best, debatable - but it is irrelevant to this thread.

In DOTA, the characters destroy the creeps - the player there is a god compared to the NPCs. It does not affect PvP balance.

In Diablo 2, all classes had extremely powerful builds, stuff which would be called "broken" three times over on this forum - and yet the game had an enormous lifetime (in video game terms) and it enjoyed a rich PvP scene. Actually, PvP in D2 was a much greater part of the game then it is here.

For the Nth time: this is about player vs. game balance, not player vs. player balance.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Aug 5, 2015, 1:11:12 AM
"
Bars wrote:
I'm not appealing for adjustment of player vs. player balance, i.e. "buff this and nerf this". I'm appealing for a slight upward adjustment of players' power relative to the game. If done correctly, this will not affect the competitive aspect of the game.

No thank you. We just saw a downward adjustment of players' power relative to the game and it was a good thing. Some of us want challenge in the game even at the highest levels. If you want to feel like a god, that option is already there for you. Just open a level 72 white map, or do Apex of Sacrifice, and be happy.

"
Bars wrote:
I'm appealing for a slight upward adjustment of players' power relative to the game.

For the Nth time: this is about player vs. game balance, not player vs. player balance.

"PvE balance" is usually used to talk about balance between different classes in a given PvE environment. "PvE difficulty" is talking about player power relative to "the game", which would be the most correct term for what you're describing now.

So... you want the game to be easier. I could have sworn that wasn't your point earlier in the thread, but let's go with that. Lots of people want the game to be easier. Some people want it to be harder. GGG currently has it set at the difficulty that they like.

The concerns about the game being too hard are completely disjoint from the game being badly balanced.

Would you be happy with enemy life and damage just being reduced to 80% (or some other fraction) of their current value? Or is there still some other concern?
"
pneuma wrote:

The concerns about the game being too hard are completely disjoint from the game being badly balanced.

Would you be happy with enemy life and damage just being reduced to 80% (or some other fraction) of their current value? Or is there still some other concern?

Well, good morning. That's what I had to repeat 3 or 4 times. Why doesn't anyone actually read what I wrote? I made a whole fucking list of player vs. game balance categories.

What I would do if I had complete control:
- lower monster damage to about halfway between 1.3 and 2.0 levels to enable a bit more build variance
- more maps, period
- better loot, esepecially uniques. Unique drops in 2.0 are terrible. Most new uniques are also complete garbage. Most of them are targeted at a portion of the game which everyone who know what they are doing breeze through in a few hours. 99% vendor trash. You know it's bad when the golden beam of a unique dropping is hardwired to disappointment or disinterest in your brain instead of anticipation. And when your plans of equipping a character consist of botlike farming for orbs plus flipping because you know you'll most likely get only shit drops.
- ES flasks. Pure ES builds right now are screwed.

That's what I can think of in a few minutes. Perhaps there are other, better options. None of the changes can potentially affect PvP balance except perhaps ES flasks but I do think with the current sad state of leech they need this.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Aug 5, 2015, 10:57:06 AM
Bars...

YOU DA REAL MVP.

Great post man. Can't agree more on all accords.

I think a lot of people are misconstruing what you are saying and putting some of the "floating opinions" in the forums into your mouth.

I 100% understand what you are saying.

I do prefer a "parabolic" game difficulty experience assuming that character progression/power is always directly increasing.

1) Games starts out easy in normal
2) Game is hardest during cruel and merciless (because of your gear strength is probably mediocre at best)
3) END Game is very difficult UNTIL your relative gear strength catches up to your level/passive point allocation.
4) Once decked in GG gear, game feels relatively easy in end game. [100s/1000s of hours later?]

Most people (for some reason) believe that once you hit step 4...you quit the game.

I tend to share your opinion that all it does is fuel more creative juices and makes a normal player feel excited and curious: "Cool I WON!!! Now....can I do this with [INSERT CLASS] with [INSERT SKILL GEM] with the same results?"

There is great pleasure and reward in knowing that all of your gear investment and farming allowed you to make the game easy. Spending/trading/finding GG gear, equipping it, and still getting one-shot is an extremely unrewarding and BS experience for the end user imo.

Last edited by Prizy on Aug 5, 2015, 1:46:25 PM
Prisus
"
Bars...

YOU DA REAL MVP.

Great post man. Can't agree more on all accords.

I think a lot of people are misconstruing what you are saying and putting some of the "floating opinions" in the forums into your mouth.

I 100% understand what you are saying.

I do prefer a "parabolic" game difficulty experience assuming that character progression/power is always directly increasing.

1) Games starts out easy in normal
2) Game is hardest during cruel and merciless (because of your gear strength is probably mediocre at best)
3) END Game is very difficult UNTIL your relative gear strength catches up to your level/passive point allocation.
4) Once decked in GG gear, game feels relatively easy in end game. [100s/1000s of hours later?]

Most people (for some reason) believe that once you hit step 4...you quit the game.

I tend to share your opinion that all it does is fuel more creative juices and makes a normal player feel excited and curious: "Cool I WON!!! Now....can I do this with [INSERT CLASS] with [INSERT SKILL GEM] with the same results?"

There is great pleasure and reward in knowing that all of your gear investment and farming allowed you to make the game easy. Spending/trading/finding GG gear, equipping it, and still getting one-shot is an extremely unrewarding and BS experience for the end user imo.

Yes, I do want this.

I also want to have reasonable access to content appropriate for my character's level. The map situation right now is.. let's not go into details, enough has been said.

The current difficulty is completely uneven. If I decided to draw a chart, it would look like an electrocardiogram alternating between mostly "falling asleep" with the occasional peak of "too high".
Last edited by Bars on Aug 5, 2015, 2:35:43 PM
I agree with the OP. I can't find the will to keep playing as of late. It's probably too late to change now(for me anyway). I enjoyed the game, it kept me interested for a few years , more than any other game in a decade, hats off to GGG for that.
Totally agree on this.

I'm really enjoying rolling new characters once I'm facerolling with my current one, I look at poe more as a build character platform (like souls games)

Awakening just has made this worst in every aspect on top of Act4 bosses being a chore more than fun (Piety and up).

I think right now more people will quit because they can't break the game vs quit because they are facerolling. (Already 2 of my friends have stopped playing since awakening :( )

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info