Caustic Arrow

"
PhreEkGarden wrote:
I really hope they make conc update the tooltip. I know some skills are hard to calculate correctly, but the Poison Arrow cloud seems pretty straight forward.
its not straightforward, it has same "issue" that explosive arrow and viper strike has. the game reads the three skills as an attack, and thus lists the weapon hit portion of damage for thier calculations. then there's the bonus effects of DoT or the delayed damage and/or stacking property.
"
Hemmingfish wrote:
Why do you refuse to give this the significant buff it deserves?

Remote Mine and Trap alone can get it to 4,500 a second, for 25k damage over five seconds. Trap + Concentrated Effect + Poison Arrow is the correct combo to use with it for practical use. Because it isn't close to being a bow attack, it's a trap.

Reiterating: this is a skill that tries to do two things poorly. The raw added Chaos damage is meaningless as the mana cost is prohibitive for what it gives you (especially since there is no Chaos Penetration support). The single-pyre nature of the cloud renders shooting it out of your bow senseless and wasteful.

Classic Diablo 2 style Immolation Arrow style would void the need to use it with Trap. As it is, this is Poison Trap.
Last edited by LimitedRooster on Apr 12, 2014, 2:45:49 PM
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
"
PhreEkGarden wrote:
I really hope they make conc update the tooltip. I know some skills are hard to calculate correctly, but the Poison Arrow cloud seems pretty straight forward.
its not straightforward, it has same "issue" that explosive arrow and viper strike has. the game reads the three skills as an attack, and thus lists the weapon hit portion of damage for thier calculations. then there's the bonus effects of DoT or the delayed damage and/or stacking property.

Why can't the PA cloud just be a separate calculation?

Why are the bonus affects of a DoT any reason?

Everything calculates fine except conc affect. Conc effect is more damage, so everything you said has no reason at all as to why it shouldnt be able to update the tooltip properly.
I would just like to note that PA is still completely worthless in a high map full group. Solo I am doing tons of damage... but in the full group doing 77's.... the damage is so bad.

I suppose there is not much to do be done about that....
"
PhreEkGarden wrote:
Conc effect is more damage, so everything you said has no reason at all as to why it shouldnt be able to update the tooltip properly.

Conc is More AoE Damage. The Projectiles are not AoE.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
PhreEkGarden wrote:
Conc effect is more damage, so everything you said has no reason at all as to why it shouldnt be able to update the tooltip properly.

Conc is More AoE Damage. The Projectiles are not AoE.

Yeah I know, but to quote the part you left out....

"
Why can't the PA cloud just be a separate calculation?

I'm no expert, but I don't understand why this would be such a difficult task. The 'tooltip' dps is bugged with half the skills in the game, so why even have it?

The Cloud itself doesn't have to affect the tooltip DPS, but supports such as conc effect should at least apply the flat damage numbers to it.
Not going to say that the mechanics of this skill are at all good... because they're not. The Targeting method makes this skill fiddly, at best, for single-target DPS, and the lack of a curse reducing Chaos resistance is it's own problem. Beyond that, using this skill is relatively safe and cheap (Empower notwithstanding) -- partially because there's very little that scales it's damage.

Seems to me that the a build specializing in Poison Arrow is, at a minimum, suitable to farming low maps and Dominus, particularly Dominus since you can stay mobile to evade attacks, have quite a lot of AoE damage, and none of the minibosses are resistant to Chaos damage (Piety might be more problematic because of the numerous Chaos-resistant enemies you have to get through on the way to Piety).

It's not great, but it's certainly enough to justify the skill's existence.
I really enjoy the new PA! Sure, you have to stack various linear damage nodes (proj. damage, chaos, dot, general). +3 bow, empower, Conc.effect. Add trap if necesary.

The greatness of the skill is that CLEAR SPEED IS NOT DEPENDENT ON DPS. Unlike other builds you dont have to spam skill - I just run forward leaving poison clouds where all the mobs die. No matter how much hp they have, they die eventually. Map clear speed is supergood. However, such style of gameplay is inconsistent in groups when people use skills util mobs die where they stand. The main disavantages are:
1. no leech
2. chaos resistant mobs
3. bad group experience
4. not much ways to impove (5-6L has no really good options to buff the skill, chin sol and PB dont work, neither does crown of eyes, no crit dependence)
5. TOTEMS!

Good things are:
1. great solo clear speed
2. ok dps (with non-vaaled gear one can expect 15k dot)
3. Perfect mobility since one doesnt spam skill and has 8 secs to run around before cloud expires (good mobility = best tank against everything)
4. bypasses shield
5. no reflect/thorns
6. easy leveling, esp combined with searing bond for bosses
7. build leaves a lot of space for defense. I prefer runing IR with a lot of life regen
8. skill FULLY functional in 4L, even 3L (PA-Emp-COnc -- trap)
9. Cheap gear needed (+3 bows gained in price but nothing super special tho)
10. mana efficient, can easily combined with blood magic gem
Last edited by Lichalfred on May 17, 2014, 9:30:21 PM
poison arrow & Puncture

Poison arrow + trap + Remote Mine + Empower + Concentrated Effect

LV25 Poison arrow Chaos Damage 18.5K * 1.7(Concentrated Effect)

Puncture + trap + Remote Mine + Physical Projectile Attack Damage

Is a good combination of both

Vulnerability Can effect Poison arrow & Puncture

Piety https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHGQkp0of14&feature=youtu.be

Dominus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVLqjOwPo0k&feature=youtu.be
"
manutd7371 wrote:
poison arrow & Puncture

Poison arrow + trap + Remote Mine + Empower + Concentrated Effect

LV25 Poison arrow Chaos Damage 18.5K * 1.7(Concentrated Effect)

Puncture + trap + Remote Mine + Physical Projectile Attack Damage

Is a good combination of both

Vulnerability Can effect Poison arrow & Puncture

Piety https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHGQkp0of14&feature=youtu.be

Dominus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVLqjOwPo0k&feature=youtu.be

+1, this is exactly what I want to do. I haven't got to maps yet, but the damage is more than enough for solo Merciless.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info