Freezing Pulse

I think a solution to make FP closer to old shot gun is give it a reason for the projectile angles.

So if you aim far it gets a bonus proj speed. Now the tighter clusters of projectiles don't get to shot gun but at hit similar damage as up close.

If you aim closer to you the benefit is wider angles.

I've been playing with both FP and FB. I keep asking why I don't just play FB.

Also mechanics are more interesting than numbers.
Freezing Pulse NEEDS Changes!

Ever since Diablo 1 I love cold spells. Of course, one of my first PoE toons back in beta used Freezing Pulse.

After the rework of FP and shot-gunning (at the time it's unique signature) removal the spell lost its appeal to me. With recently introduced uniques like Snakepit, The Halcyon, The Pandemonius, First Snow and The Wise Oak I decided to give it another shot in Legacy.

Unfortunately, my frustration with FP grows with every map!

The collision system and the hit boxes of FP (and other skills too) need a serious rework! Casting FP in a narrow passage or close to many borders(map, obstacles) often does not cast the spell at all (even if you target in the opposite direction of the obstacle). Try to use FP in a narrow passage on top of the wall in a Ramparts map. If that is not frustrating enough try The Hedge Maze or any map using that or a similar tile set.
Staying and targeting at the exact same spots with Ice Spear or Fireball has no issues at all (Frostbolt does not work either).
Collision mechanics like this really have no place in the game anymore. The game is too fast paced. It is impossible to see ground pebbles and small obstacles while getting swarmed in a breach, with ground and other flashy effects going on all over the screen. Try to survive with a character that relies on freeze and leech mechanics if you can’t cast due to bad collision mechanics while projectiles (obviously from mobs in line of sight) and aoe effects from the mobs you’re targeting are hitting you nevertheless. The time it takes to realize that you’ re standing in a bad spot and move (if you can) is enough to get you killed in higher tier maps.
Simply give Freezing Pulse the collision behavior of Ice Spear or bow skills. For the unlikely case that they already use the same but FP collisions behave so badly because its projectiles are wider use the same width for collision calculations.

Can you please fix the projectile spread while using multiple projectiles? Since the removal of shot-gunning overlapping FP projectiles make no sense at all. To my knowledge there is no other spell or skill in the game that behaves like FP in this regard. Either change FP projectiles to have a minimal spread or allow FP to shotgun again (that would at least give FP a unique signature again).

Both these changes have been requested many times since shot-gunning has been removed. When do we finally see changes? When I saw all the existing feedback and requests to these points I had a hard time convincing myself to write this as it seems rather pointless. But maybe bringing them up again will finally convince you GGG that both changes are needed especially with the upcoming X-Box release in mind. I honestly can’t see how Freezing Pulse can work on the X-Box with its current implementation.

FP’s mechanic to deal less damage the further the projectile travels promotes close range or even point blank combat especially against unique monsters and bosses where the damage is needed. This mechanic was fine when FP was introduced because with chill and freeze FP at the same time provided a defensive mechanic that allowed characters to do that. But today with nearly all of the recently introduced endgame bosses having immunities to both chill and freeze and so many map mods counteracting FPs defensive mechanics this mechanic seems outdated. This has been given as feedback many times too.

Thanks for reading
Last edited by fae76 on Mar 23, 2017, 12:03:16 PM
"
fae76 wrote:
Can you please fix the projectile spread while using multiple projectiles? Since the removal of shot-gunning overlapping FP projectiles make no sense at all.

single most annoying thing about this fun oldschool skill to me, i can bear with the collision sometimes but permanently having to aim your cursor right to not lose out on 2-3 projectiles... no thanks

was hyped as hell for the jewel, i could not play it way past 80 it was frustrating for above reason
Last edited by Giniyo on Mar 21, 2017, 6:00:55 PM
"
fae76 wrote:
The collision system and the hit boxes of FP (and other skills too) need a serious rework! Casting FP in a narrow passage or close to many borders(map, obstacles) often does not cast the spell at all

QFT.

And since Cyclone was fixed for collision against walls as described in a recent announcement, why not Freezing Pulse too?

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
"
cipher_nemo wrote:
"
fae76 wrote:
The collision system and the hit boxes of FP (and other skills too) need a serious rework! Casting FP in a narrow passage or close to many borders(map, obstacles) often does not cast the spell at all

QFT.

And since Cyclone was fixed for collision against walls as described in a recent announcement, why not Freezing Pulse too?

+1
plz fix mai sonic boomz. plz.

"
Giniyo wrote:
"
fae76 wrote:
Can you please fix the projectile spread while using multiple projectiles? Since the removal of shot-gunning overlapping FP projectiles make no sense at all.

single most annoying thing about this fun oldschool skill to me, i can bear with the collision sometimes but permanently having to aim your cursor right to not lose out on 2-3 projectiles... no thanks

was hyped as hell for the jewel, i could not play it way past 80 it was frustrating for above reason

this would be nice too. (the first issue is way more important though)
The only thing this skill needs, besides collision fix is the removal of damage drop the further the projectile travels. No skill should have a mechanic that gimps itself. This is like pointblank without the damage buff. Its outdated and has no place in poe anymore. When it shotgunned it was ok, it was worth to risk your self getting in melee range.
The reduction in freeze chance the further the projectile travels is ok i find. Its a risk reward mechanic. You want freeze? you get in closer.
Freeze pulse the highest base dps (in normal circumstances) out of all spells, so it does have "pointblank".

Problem is they put frostbolt in the game which has not even 10% less dps at gem level 20 and doesn't get damage penalty. Frostbolt's only other comparative weakness is it doesn't scale with +flat damage as well.

However freeze pulse is a very direct spell with no efficient/abusable mechanics, like aoe overlap, cast time override (mines/traps) because it has a fast cast speed. Frostbolt shares the same traits but has good offscreen capability.
Hey can you guys convert this to a channeling skill??
The whole lack of ice on 3.0.0 is kinda depressing.
maybe give it stages like blade flurry but making it more concentrated dealing more damage as it goes. It would be pretty cool if increased area would end up giving it more damage by increasing the total amount of compression.
Nice interaction with corner:

Problem: impostor syndrome
Solution: nerf everything
Result: depressing mess
"
a_z0_9 wrote:
Nice interaction with corner:

This. Nothing fun about running into doorways with mobs right there and you trying to blast them but..."woops! This door isn't wide enough for that spell so the entire thing goes poof! and you get shot/punched in the face by whatever mobs are waiting."

Should have never fixed that "bug" where we could cast through doorways because of the bugwhere if the door was shut and you were close enough you could cast through it.

"
kindevu wrote:

The reduction in freeze chance the further the projectile travels is ok i find. Its a risk reward mechanic. You want freeze? you get in closer.

Nah bruv, got to be like me and get 80% freeze chance on top of what looks to be 5-6 seconds freeze time on low-tier map mobs. :P

Still wish I was doing over 100k eDPS though...still need to get my Batteries so I can scale my crits.
Last edited by LeetbakaDX on Jan 22, 2018, 8:29:28 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info