Detonate Dead

"
soul4hdwn wrote:
its possible to do math via leaving detonate dead's fire AoE without assuming corpse's hp. either call it .18 or make everything but final number as a percent. without quality gems, its still devastating via burning. this is also WITH attention and focus placed on the skill, so its justified. don't forget concentrated effect, its AoE still after all.

also as far fire penetration, only the hit itself will get the res reduction. burning won't get benefit from it. complicates things for other skills but most would already use double curse for maximizing burning.

note that i do my math via lv 15 gems, not lv 20 gems and specially don't rely on quality (although it makes a lot of difference clearly).

people like big numbers its one of the draws to these types of games.

getting the resistance reduced on the main hit is important to getting the largest ignites.

conc effect gem is good but I would rather it be easier to hit more targets with increased area of effect gem instead its damage to so astronomical that I would rather hit more targets

thanks for the comments
can still get net gain via passives and support gem.
additionally infernal blow has same explosion but stronger and requires melee.
Does the explosions portion of the spell get gimped if you put it on a spell totem? will a 60% damage effectiveness cut the explosion damage from 18% to 10%ish of a monsters max health?
Well, yes. That's what a damage penalty does.
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
can still get net gain via passives and support gem.
additionally infernal blow has same explosion but stronger and requires melee.

Infernal Blow also has to be, basically, the killing strike, which is why I feel the explosion there is more for the sake of novelty and not so much practicality.

Also, I don't like using Detonate Dead with Concentrated Effect. First because I don't feel you really need the damage boost, and second because you want to get a wide AoE to hopefully kill a second, weakened monster (at which point you start a cascading effect that really cares more about AoE than the exact damage numbers).
Last edited by XCodes on Feb 5, 2013, 2:28:32 PM
well good thing both of us plan to use burning proliferation, that much more spreading. note that i think gem lv 4 proliferation has same AoE size as detonate dead as someone asked long awhile ago. (15 units)
Does the increase radius work on DD ?
The tooltip shows only the 20% increase radius of the gem attached to it but not the +24% of my passives (should get 44% obviously)
Passives don't apply to the gem, but to your character. Check the Character Sheet instead. Should show the proper 44% Increase.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Passives don't apply to the gem, but to your character. Check the Character Sheet instead. Should show the proper 44% Increase.

You are right... Thanks for the input.
At the moment there's absolutely no reason to level up Detonate Dead. The mana cost should be reduced and cast speed increased on every level. Also 18% of corpse's health as damage seems quite low.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info