What Build is Working for You?

Hey everyone,

First off - I would have put this in classes/builds but it does not pertain to a particular class.

I was curious what build is working out well for you guys in Tempest/Warbands higher level maps? I'll define "well" in this scenario as able to steadily gain experience with minimal deaths and clear maps efficiently without having to have a clutch use of a particular potion every 60 seconds.

Bonus: post a video of your build or a build you know of on YouTube in these leagues that are clearing high level maps!

The only luck I've had is by using dual flame totem - which almost feels like cheating.
We took a lot of pro gamers and tuned the content to the point where they thought it was challenging... then we doubled it. - Jay Wilson
Last edited by moxjet2002 on Jul 31, 2015, 10:54:24 AM
Look for those little "challenge complete" icons on people's account names. Click on their profile and see what characters they've used to get them.

You'll get a larger sample that way.

To answer your question. I haven't found one. I'm on my fourth (and probably last) character through normal difficulty on Tempest. Act IV has killed any progress I've made and I'm getting pretty sick of it.

So... what hasn't worked for me?

Tornado shot/Puncture
cyclone/leapslam
vanilla summoner.

Act IV can be overcome, but not solo/self-found/HC for me.

I've got a 3 week cruise coming up... no computers. I'll likely not come back to PoE when I return if they haven't fixed this by then.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
Look for those little "challenge complete" icons on people's account names. Click on their profile and see what characters they've used to get them.

You'll get a larger sample that way.

To answer your question. I haven't found one. I'm on my fourth (and probably last) character through normal difficulty on Tempest. Act IV has killed any progress I've made and I'm getting pretty sick of it.

So... what hasn't worked for me?

Tornado shot/Puncture
cyclone/leapslam
vanilla summoner.

Act IV can be overcome, but not solo/self-found/HC for me.

I've got a 3 week cruise coming up... no computers. I'll likely not come back to PoE when I return if they haven't fixed this by then.

I was getting pretty frustrated when I had made an ice nova witch and a physical cyclone marauder with endurance charges/fortify buff the entire time and still dying often. I suggest dropping everything and leveling a flame totem character until you get some currency to build a different class that requires more gear. Its easy mode.
We took a lot of pro gamers and tuned the content to the point where they thought it was challenging... then we doubled it. - Jay Wilson
The way my flameblast build works, it almost feels like cheating as well. But it's also fun as hell to run in my opinion. I'll make a vid for you when I get home from work in about 5 hours.

It's pretty gear independent as well. Would work as a magic find build if you want since most of the damage comes from passive points and gem slots while most of the survivability comes from CC and high range. She can run maps unid for bonus item quantity and rarity since there isn't a map stat she can't deal with. Elemental reflect slows me down a bit, but it's just a matter of holding back my damage by about 50% so I don't one shot myself.
Every Saturday = National Booze n Poe Day
Last edited by Nasreth on Jul 31, 2015, 1:00:38 PM
"
Nasreth wrote:
The way my flameblast build works, it almost feels like cheating as well. But it's also fun as hell to run in my opinion. I'll make a vid for you when I get home from work in about 5 hours.

It's pretty gear independent as well. Would work as a magic find build if you want since most of the damage comes from passive points and gem slots while most of the survivability comes from CC and high range. She can run maps unid for bonus item quantity and rarity since there isn't a map stat she can't deal with. Elemental reflect slows me down a bit, but it's just a matter of holding back my damage by about 50% so I don't one shot myself.

That sounds like fun! I look forward to the video :)
"
moxjet2002 wrote:
"
Nasreth wrote:

That sounds like fun! I look forward to the video :)

Video is up, sorry for the low quality. It was much higher on my cpu but Youtube killed it for some reason :/

I ran a 75 unid blue map real quick. Didn't full clear but I got most of it and killed the boss (Oak).

I think the monsters had extra cold resistance as one of the mods because my cold snap is usually better at freezing enemy mobs.

https://youtu.be/mwjVYTwPN2E

Only item in my build I would call core is the infernal mantle, and thats just because it gives you obscene amounts of damage. If you try gearing for this build then focus on fire/elemental damage over spell damage since it double dips with burning damage. Cast speed is also extremely important.

The main abilities I use are:

Flameblast -> Elemental Proliferation -> Chance to Ignite -> Increased Burning Damage
I would have a 5 or 6 link but I'm poor. 5th and 6th links would be Fire Penetration and Faster Casting, or Item Rarity depending on how I feel.

Cold Snap -> Elemental Proliferation -> Increased Area of Effect -> X (Can't decide how to 4 link it. I'll probably just pop this in a wand eventually and use my helm for auras with Enlighten).

Flammability to curse. Clarity and Discipline for Auras. Vitality is also good but I can't decide if I want to run it or not.

Here's my passive tree:
Last edited by Nasreth on Jul 31, 2015, 5:18:08 PM
That looks like a ton of fun. I bet even more so in a group when you're not having to circle around as much. Thanks for sharing Nas!
"
moxjet2002 wrote:
That looks like a ton of fun. I bet even more so in a group when you're not having to circle around as much. Thanks for sharing Nas!

Thanks for asking :) I love sharing my builds.

Honestly the build works better solo than in groups simply because a lot of the time groups will kill mobs before you can fully charge your flameblast so you won't be doing all that much damage. Plus a lot of your damage comes from the ignite + burning which means you won't be using your full dps a lot of the time in groups. The major issue I run into when I play it with my friends, hilariously enough, is that they often override my flammability curse and since I don't have a 5link for a fire penetration gem it often cuts my damage quite a bit.

If you do run this build in groups, I recommend leading the charge. Run into the mob, freeze it, and start the burn, and while it's burning to ~half health you move onto the next pack and let your group clean up the weakened mobs that are already burning. It's especially useful if you have someone who deals cold or lightning damage following up since your elemental equilibrium will make them vulnerable to those damage types.
If you're losing the fun, just go dual flame totems.
Many people are calling it lame totems, but for someone who plays seldom and does not have the best gear in his inventory or a lot of currency, a cakewalk build is just the thing.

I definately enjoy myself burning everything to the ground self-found.

Currently Act 3 Merc with capped res, 3k life and 3.5k dps. Softcore that is.

Followed LiftingNerdBro's guide.

You have to be aware, that with Flameblast you have to kite, and stand still while casting. It's quite a hastle imo.
But if you enjoy it, why not.

With flame totems you can just plant them, curse, and run to the next mob (around the boss). Everything dies in seconds.

Edit: You're not going on a research cruise by any chance? If yes, let me know which ;)
Last edited by ben_hure on Aug 3, 2015, 11:31:54 AM
Check out my character Yamenasai. It started out as a test to see whether investing into leech is worthwhile for a mostly-physical build (spoilers: it sure as hell is!).

The damage and defense really didn't take off until I got the dual curse setup going, though. Hitting 30% increased curse effectiveness on Enfeeble makes all non-map boss mobs a joke. I don't think I've ever had a single "oh shit" moment when running into rogue exiles, though beyond uniques are a bit troublesome since they hit like a truck before they get cursed, and they usually start out in a big mess of mobs that can tax my sustain and keep me from recovering between hits if I'm not paying attention.

Currently just logging in for my dailies while I wait for Disfavours to drop to the point where they become affordable.
IGN: Ikimashouka, Tsukiyattekudasai, DontCallMeMrFroyo

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info