Reasons for GGG's design decisions for RNG gated content

"
Again: they know fucking exactly who they were and who that was specifically directed towards.

and again, you are completely off the mark with your attacks and out in left field somewhere screaming that the first baseman doesnt know what baseball is
Hey...is this thing on?
Last edited by LostForm on Jul 31, 2015, 2:54:42 PM
guys can we please stop this?
the discussion is far too important, to not end up in a thread lock and a bunch of Probations.

that goes for both sides of the argument.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
The probation culls man... you guys should calm down.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
I was cussing yesterday about some chromatics. I agree 100% that upgrades that you have but cant use is (are) demoralizing. Well said charan.
Hey...is this thing on?
Last edited by LostForm on Jul 31, 2015, 7:10:25 PM
This post would make alot more sense if it said...

"Gating content behind unfun, cookie cutter builds".
Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.
"
Tin_Foil_Hat wrote:
This post would make alot more sense if it said...

"Gating content behind unfun, cookie cutter builds".

You can have whatever build you want when the maps you need only drops if you are super lucky.
Yep, socket colors is where I too draw the RNG line. Chroming is just bullshit.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Xavderion wrote:
Yep, socket colors is where I too draw the RNG line. Chroming is just bullshit.
I always get off colors on things when i try to roll generic sockets. Heres an example.

Some of my only good RNG is chroming off colors lmao.
Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.
"
elwindakos wrote:
"
Jojas wrote:
I'm totally at odds and haven't got a clue what's going on. There are a gazillion ways to make content fun and challenging, yet GGG thinks it's best to gate content behind RNG, replace challenge with one-shot mechanics, and tell the fun to go fuck itself. Sorry for language, I'm just verbalizing.

But the questions is why. WHY!?

The psychological answer:

Fixation. They are fixated on RNG. They just cannot let go of it. That, and the game economy. Totally paranoid about the game economy. If there is a remote chance that something messes with the game economy, it must not be allowed live.
So, fixation. There is a branch in psychology called Transactional Analysis, dealing with 'transactions' and 'interactions' between people. There we find the so-called 'Why don't you/Yes, but' game. Applied to GGG the game goes like this:

GGG: I wish people wouldn't rage/quit over our RNG gated content!
PLAYERS: Why don't you stop doing it?
GGG: Yes, but we have to have a currency sink!
PLAYERS: Why don't you make another currency sink?
GGG: Yes, but we also want you to play very hard maps!
PLAYERS: Why don't you just make the maps hard?
GGG: Yes, but then anyone can progress if he's good enough!
PLAYERS: Why don't you just let it happen? Isn't that what playing games is all about?
GGG: Yes, but ... I don't know, LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!

As you can see, a clear fixation. There is no getting through to them.

The slightly-far-fetched answer:

RNGesus exists. He is an actual divine entity, and GGG knows it. Their moving to a new office only happened so that they can build an even larger shrine dedicated to him. Their ultimate goal is the erection of a 300 feet statue overlooking the harbour of Wellington.

The game design answer:

Don't know. It's not THAT useful as a currency sink, it pisses people off, it favours favouritism, it forces people to trade, it divides the playerbase, it puts a highly random element into a competetive game that should be about skill, knowledge and playtime. So, um ...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, in conclusion, the only reasonable explanation for GGG's wildly irrational behaviour is their fixation. Why are they so fixated? Because they are afraid. Afraid that all hell breaks loose if they let go of it. Afraid that they might mess up when they try to implement a new system. That it's too big a step, and once committed to it they cannot go back. Because, if people leave in droves because they don't like the new system they have to stick with it. They're afraid because they're not 13 anymore, and changes scare them. So they put their fingers in their ears, close their eyes and go, "NANANANANA, WORkING AS INTENDED!".

I'm sorry, I know this is brutal, but someone had to say it.

Whoever doesnt love RNG in ARPGS,they shouldnt play one.

And btw,you have more than enough deterministic things already in game.

The fact that no one right now speaks of drop rate and solo vs party,is another indication drops are in good place.

So,its really phycological thing.Not the one you referring though.Its called perception

Oh the multiplayer part has been discussed for so long people forgot about it. We've basically given up since it's pretty clear it will never change. Mapping is just the most recent thing they broke.
RNG is fine, but it depends on where it is applied. Usually not content. That's what shitty login servers are for.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
We play games like this to overcome hardship. It's evolution. Our species is designed to thrive on that feeling we get when we beat some obstacle. That's why games are fun for us. They mimic survival in the wilds before even language was invented. We get a little bit of juice every time we beat something.

So, they make things challenging for us.

The nature of the challenge isn't that important.

It's just as important to us to try our best to remove challenges from our lives. That's why you're posting. You think that less challenge would be good for the game. It wouldn't be. GGG knows this and that's why you feel they're not willing to listen to you. They do. They just know better than to act on your requests.

Although i dont agree with OP entirely (mostly, not at all) your comment is pure comedy for my eyes.

Well done! :D

"
So, they make things challenging for us
+
"
The nature of the challenge isn't that important.
= pure win

Somehow wasting x amount of hours doing the same thing in a low level zone is now a challenge.
Im not saying this isnt the nature of old-style Arpgs (to fill you with mind-numbling stuff to do) in order to give the illusion of higher content, but saying its the right way to go...

Well, each to his own i guess.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info