PC servers are restarting in:
They should be back up in approximately .
Xbox servers are restarting in:
Sony servers are restarting in:

Nvidia Optimus Problem

I have been having the same issue, but after some looking I think I found a better solution.

First you need to grab nvidia inspector (just google it). Then open it up and click the button to the right of the driver version which will bring you to the profile settings. Make a new profile, name it something like "Path of Exile", click the add program button, and try to add client.exe from the POE folder.

Unfortunately that won't work but it should tell you what other profiles use client.exe. In my case I deleted the Phantasy Star 2 profile and the Dragon: MMORPG profile, and then it let me add client.exe to the Path of Exile profile. Once you've done that hit the apply changes button in the top right and close nvidia inspector. Then just open up the nvidia control panel and you should be able to add client.exe and have it ocme up as Path of Exile(or whatever you named the profile you created) and you should be able to select your gpu. It's possible future driver updates may reset the built-in profiles and cause problems, but if that happens you should be able to just repeat the process.

Still, it would be nice if they just renamed the .exe and saved us all the trouble.
"
ualac wrote:
more than likely its nvidia's software being confused by the rather non-unique executable name of client.exe

now.. this is a shot in the dark as i'm not at my machine currently, but if you rename the Path of Exile client.exe to something like poe.exe and then add it to the nvidia optimus panel does it sneak it through?

"
gross wrote:
I have been having the same issue, but after some looking I think I found a better solution.

First you need to grab nvidia inspector (just google it). Then open it up and click the button to the right of the driver version which will bring you to the profile settings. Make a new profile, name it something like "Path of Exile", click the add program button, and try to add client.exe from the POE folder.

both these solutions worked thanks.I still use the client.exe when I need to change to Integrated graphic for playing on battery. It'd be nice if they fix it though.
I'm having this exact same problem. I've tried all the solutions but none have worked.

The new "poe.exe" is still there and even if I set it to use the nvidia gpu it still only uses the Intel HD 4000.

is there anything else I can do?
"
ghoest wrote:
This was giving me grief and the previous solutions left me a bit wanting (either they didn't quite work for me or would require effort beyond the initial work)

Here's what I did. In theory, this is set up once and you won't have to do it again... assuming Client.exe remains the start up executable to run the game.

The following assumes you have Windows 7 (my other boxes run Linux)

First, start a cmd shell (Click the start menu and type in 'cmd' in the search box).

Navigate to you Path Of Exile installation directory in the cmd window (default install directory): cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Grinding Gear Games"

Create a hard link to Client.exe (I use poe.exe, use whatever you want): mklink /H Client.exe poe.exe

At this point, I added poe.exe to the list of games in the NVIDIA control panel and set it to the NVIDIA one...

I updated the shortcut created by the installer to point to poe.exe rather than Client.exe, so that potentially any user on my box would have the updated shortcut; this requires Administrator rights, so if that's not an option you can pin poe.exe to the start menu (or taskbar) or create your own shortcut in your start menu.

Update: Ack... well, the updater doesn't work when you run via the link, so you'll have to run Client.exe to update when a patch is available is you use this method.

This is probably the best solution for now, IMO. Have two shortcuts, one for your hard-link for normal play, and another one for Client.exe when there's an actual patch. (Rename it to 'custom updater', say.)
I renamed client.exe to poe.exe.
Add the poe.exe to Nvidia control panel and forced it to use the Nvidia card.

Even though the game redownloads a new client.exe file you can still run the game from the poe.exe file you created earlier to utilize the Nvidia GPU.

Hopefully a PoE dev notices this thread and can fix up the problem as it used to work pre patch.
"
I renamed client.exe to poe.exe.
Add the poe.exe to Nvidia control panel and forced it to use the Nvidia card.

Even though the game redownloads a new client.exe file you can still run the game from the poe.exe file you created earlier to utilize the Nvidia GPU.

This works. Thanks. Bumping in hopes that PoE devs see this bug.
Last edited by balln56 on Jan 28, 2013, 2:07:13 PM
Have to redo it after a patch :/
well I have the same problem, luckily I can manually force to activate PoE using the better graphic card
I tried all the "solutions" and yes, in Nvidia Control Panel I can set it to Nvidia "High-Performance GPU" but the game still loads with Intel HD Graphics 3000...
I've tried all of these suggestions and still coudn't make the game detect my Nvidia graphics card :/

Is there any official statement on this, from POE staff?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info