Nvidia Optimus Problem

Nvidia Optimus doesn't seem to automatically switch the low-end card with the high-end card when running the game. I have to manually do it. Now, when I access the NVIDIA control panel to make it automatically change, Path of Exile isn't on the list. However, there is a game having the same icon as Path of Exile which is named "Dragon : MMORPG". Also, after setting the game to automatically use the high-end card, it still doesn't do that.

I believe it has something to do with the fact that PoE is detected as "Dragon : MMORPG".

Well, this isn't really a big issue as of now, but I'm just giving a heads up. Good job on the game!

P.S. SWTOR also had this problem. Theirs were detected as "Hamilton's Great Adventure".
Last edited by Extremity on Dec 3, 2011, 10:59:25 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Hey Extremity, I posted on this once before. I think the long term goal is for optimus users to be able to select the desired graphics adapter from the options menu in game. However at this stage it doesn't appear to be working for me, it just displays the adapter I currently have set as default, i.e. atm it's nvidia NVS4200.

I just changed the PoE .exe profile in my nvidia control panel to always use the nvidia card. An "easy" alternative (if you're running windows 7) is to right click on your PoE exe or shortcut and choose the 'high-performance NVIDIA processor' from the 'Run with graphics processor' menu.

So there are fairly straight forward ways around this, and it's not a pressing issue - but it would be nice to know if this 'switching' will be allowed in game eventually (I'm still not sure why you'd want to, apart from initially selecting the better card without playing with nvidia control panel etc...).

Edit: found a quote from Jonathan that might help us give better feedback in terms of optimus support in game. Will check this out when I get a chance.
"
Jonathan wrote:
Hey guys, what I'm wondering is if the game is selecting the incorrect display adapter or if there is some other problem.

There is a command line option that you can pass to the client that will force it to use a specific adapter.

If you pass "-adapter:0" then it will use the first adapter in the system and passing "-adapter:1" will select the second, and so on.

If one of you with this graphics card could try starting the client with -adapter set to 0, 1, 2, 3 and so on until the game will not start and see if any of the adapters in your system cause the game to run fast.

If that *does* fix it, then I can add an adapter selector to the options menu so that you can select the correct one to run the game with. If it doesn't work then I'll have to do further investigation.

P.S. also just noticed that this isn't in the beta section, might get a better response from mods/devs there.
Do you serve a purpose, or purposely serve?
When in doubt inside your atavistic allure, the value of a summer spent,
And a winter earned.
Last edited by SirSelim on Dec 5, 2011, 10:52:58 PM
Forum search brings this topic as the most relevant, though not in right branch, but I still desided to write here.

I have the same problem with Nvidia Optimus enabled notebook. And I too can't assign Nvidia drivers to automatically switch to high perfomance card in Nvidia ontrol panel (where PoE .exe file somehow strangely identifyes itself as Dragon : MMORPG), it still by default uses low perfomance card. Only workaround I found is launching game from right-mouse-menu and manually assign high perfomance card every launch.

About the CL arguments:
-adapter:0 — Intel integrated GPU
-adapter:1, 2, 3 and even 4 — not launching at all, gives error "Could not find any compatible Direct3D devices"

I'm using Lenovo Y570 notebook with i7-2630QM CPU and Nvidia GF555M GPU.
I am also having an issue forcing the settings with Nvidia. Dell XPS 15 502x. When I attempt to add client.exe to the custom settings list, Nvidia recognizes it as "Phantasy Star 2 (client.exe).
more than likely its nvidia's software being confused by the rather non-unique executable name of client.exe

now.. this is a shot in the dark as i'm not at my machine currently, but if you rename the Path of Exile client.exe to something like poe.exe and then add it to the nvidia optimus panel does it sneak it through?

edit: okay so if you rename the client then poe cleverly "patches" the game and redownloads a new one :)

however it does let you launch the game from the renamed executable, and it also shows up in taskmanager that way. so perhaps try it?
Last edited by ualac on Apr 26, 2012, 3:46:41 AM
That worked, thank you for the excellent suggestion. The patcher did add another client.exe to the folder but it did not remove the newly renamed poe.exe. Nvidia did not attempt to identify the game (which is good) and I was allowed to add custom gpu selection settings to the .exe.

Thank you again for the help!

Have a great weekend.
great! really glad that worked.

devs, perhaps we can make the client.exe name more unique to PoE on later patches to prevent this sort of thing?
just want to up this issue.
Of course it's not an urgent update but remember to do this before the final release :)
No regret (orbs)
This was giving me grief and the previous solutions left me a bit wanting (either they didn't quite work for me or would require effort beyond the initial work)

Here's what I did. In theory, this is set up once and you won't have to do it again... assuming Client.exe remains the start up executable to run the game.

The following assumes you have Windows 7 (my other boxes run Linux)

First, start a cmd shell (Click the start menu and type in 'cmd' in the search box).

Navigate to you Path Of Exile installation directory in the cmd window (default install directory): cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Grinding Gear Games"

Create a hard link to Client.exe (I use poe.exe, use whatever you want): mklink /H Client.exe poe.exe

At this point, I added poe.exe to the list of games in the NVIDIA control panel and set it to the NVIDIA one...

I updated the shortcut created by the installer to point to poe.exe rather than Client.exe, so that potentially any user on my box would have the updated shortcut; this requires Administrator rights, so if that's not an option you can pin poe.exe to the start menu (or taskbar) or create your own shortcut in your start menu.

Update: Ack... well, the updater doesn't work when you run via the link, so you'll have to run Client.exe to update when a patch is available is you use this method.
Last edited by ghoest on Aug 24, 2012, 4:14:07 AM
*coff* Up *coff*
No regret (orbs)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info