2.0 (warb/temp) - Shock nova - 22k dps in a 4link ( cheap and fun build)

"
Aim_Deep wrote:
"
Mawwk wrote:
"
Dragol wrote:
Great build friend, good to see an interesting build, plus the combination of Blood Dance, Zealot's Oath and EB is genius.

I'm actually going to try this build but change Shock Nova for Frost Nova. Even if Frost Nova doesn't work, the transition from cold to lightning is incredibly minor (pretty sure you could easily swap either for a burning fire build very easily too).

i did the same thing switching between icenova/shock nova, ice nova is 'decent' but the dps its not even close to shock nova dps, i know about freezing things etc, but shock stats make the build shines, even playing solo or a 6man party u gonna kill mobs faster then u expect, just be careful with thornflesh (i ripped to this) and ele reflect (topaz flask).

Really now?

nice tooltip, looks like this screenshot comes from the 'Bad_Ass_Wench' caracther, you are running a 6 link pledge and a gg setup, that's completely different, when i made the tests was only in a 4 link in a fresh hardcomre league, i'm not trying to argue your gear, but my build its pretty simple and there's a lot of room to improve and make even better.
This world is an illusion, exile!
Totems for life!
Problem is shock nova damage effectiveness only 50% so any added or conversion dam gets cut in half. As you grow links it gets really bad by comparison.

Ice nova's is only 70% dam effectiveness and has higher base DPS at 20. Anyway I slotted in a 4L with not optimized 1H tree and make 30K. IN + C2F + FC + Echo.

Anyway nice build just dont bag on ice nova. IME it beats shock in DPS and freezes for protection.
Git R Dun!
Couple more questions, this time in regards to some skill bonus choices:

Spots I'm not 100% sure I agree with:

Near the witch start, you spend 2 points for +4% radius and +20 mana/ES/int.
(Seems like a bad result of stats for 2 points to me since mana is useless and int is half useless)

Near templar start, you spend 2 points for 16% radius and 8% damage.
(I'm a maybe on this, it just feels like with the 1 witch starter area area of effect nodes it is quite large already?)

And out of curiosities of options for pathing choices:

-You skip out on 2 power charges?
(For 2 points at 2 spots you could get +50% crit, +4% damage, +18% charge duration for 2 points)
Do you feel these charges just aren't worth the points? (And the duration increase would help maintain them easier between packs...this is just a quality of life improvement but it's something)

-You don't take doom cast but take arcane potency (50% crit, 30% multi for 4pt)
(either 4 points for 100% crit/10% multi or 5 points for 80% chance, 30% multiplier on doom cast)

-The 1 travel point in doom cast can also lead to Ghost Reaver for 2 points. (This would be strong for both purposes of mana regeneration and keeping ES up for Mind Over Matter wouldn't it?)
*This does provide the problem that the only way you will gain health in this build is with potions...but ghost reaver would give you a much bigger mind over matter barrier wouldn't it? ... and leeching energy shield is always useful since it's also your mana resource, whereas leeching life when you have 100% hp already doesn't do anything at all.

Would love to hear your opinion/insights on these choices...

One other question as well: You chose Ice Golem as your golem, I'm curious why? When I use Ice golem Vs Flame Golem, the flame golem results in a much higher DPS increase (250dps more, quite a bit)

Up to level 70 right now with about 9k shock nova DPS and just tearing things apart. Build is definitely everything I wanted it to be so far. (I'll post my gear once I get updated rings/amulet...still wearing level 20-30 ones lol)

Also, I seriously commend you for being able to get level 84 on a hardcore league with this character...this is the most ridiculously easy to die on character I've ever played. 68 deaths at level 72. I've played hardcore characters to 80+ and my standard level 90+s have <30 deaths, but this character literally just gets laid out on the floor so god damn easily it's absurd.

How the hell do you deal with bosses like Kaom & Daresso in act 4? Kaom especially was beyond a nightmare, he combined for 15 of my deaths across the 3 difficulties. Merciless Daresso was another 4 deaths.. (And on each in merciless i had to port back to town 10-15 times to refill my potions..)

No minions = No potions... No charges... No fun.

Last edited by Bloodytrailz on Aug 6, 2015, 11:25:40 PM
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
Problem is shock nova damage effectiveness only 50% so any added or conversion dam gets cut in half. As you grow links it gets really bad by comparison.

Except Shock Nova deals another 50% damage bonus when you hit stuff with the ring.
Making it's actual DPS *1.5 and as such bumping the 50% damage effectiveness to 75% when you hit stuff with the ring.

And then we have shock that you do not account for, which is another *1.5 multiplier.
[2.2] The Vampire - Tanky 2H Axe Slayer Duelist - /view-thread/1611662
Last edited by Mannoth on Aug 7, 2015, 5:56:19 AM
"
Bloodytrailz wrote:
Couple more questions, this time in regards to some skill bonus choices:

Spots I'm not 100% sure I agree with:

Near the witch start, you spend 2 points for +4% radius and +20 mana/ES/int.
(Seems like a bad result of stats for 2 points to me since mana is useless and int is half useless)

Near templar start, you spend 2 points for 16% radius and 8% damage.
(I'm a maybe on this, it just feels like with the 1 witch starter area area of effect nodes it is quite large already?)

And out of curiosities of options for pathing choices:

-You skip out on 2 power charges?
(For 2 points at 2 spots you could get +50% crit, +4% damage, +18% charge duration for 2 points)
Do you feel these charges just aren't worth the points? (And the duration increase would help maintain them easier between packs...this is just a quality of life improvement but it's something)

-You don't take doom cast but take arcane potency (50% crit, 30% multi for 4pt)
(either 4 points for 100% crit/10% multi or 5 points for 80% chance, 30% multiplier on doom cast)

-The 1 travel point in doom cast can also lead to Ghost Reaver for 2 points. (This would be strong for both purposes of mana regeneration and keeping ES up for Mind Over Matter wouldn't it?)
*This does provide the problem that the only way you will gain health in this build is with potions...but ghost reaver would give you a much bigger mind over matter barrier wouldn't it? ... and leeching energy shield is always useful since it's also your mana resource, whereas leeching life when you have 100% hp already doesn't do anything at all.

Would love to hear your opinion/insights on these choices...

One other question as well: You chose Ice Golem as your golem, I'm curious why? When I use Ice golem Vs Flame Golem, the flame golem results in a much higher DPS increase (250dps more, quite a bit)

Up to level 70 right now with about 9k shock nova DPS and just tearing things apart. Build is definitely everything I wanted it to be so far. (I'll post my gear once I get updated rings/amulet...still wearing level 20-30 ones lol)

Also, I seriously commend you for being able to get level 84 on a hardcore league with this character...this is the most ridiculously easy to die on character I've ever played. 68 deaths at level 72. I've played hardcore characters to 80+ and my standard level 90+s have <30 deaths, but this character literally just gets laid out on the floor so god damn easily it's absurd.

How the hell do you deal with bosses like Kaom & Daresso in act 4? Kaom especially was beyond a nightmare, he combined for 15 of my deaths across the 3 difficulties. Merciless Daresso was another 4 deaths.. (And on each in merciless i had to port back to town 10-15 times to refill my potions..)

No minions = No potions... No charges... No fun.

the wall, :).

lets start with the tree, i didnt finished the tree yet, but my original tree i take all power charges, thats a huge bonus, its up to you to make modifications, im finishing the 82 challenge then will play shock nova again with a complete tree, at 111 points im thinking about this https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwYBBLMHHg3RDkgRDxGWE54V5xZvFr8W8xhqGjgabB2DIG4kqiY8JpUnLylPLR8vnTBbNuk5UjpYOtg8BT1fQZZFfElRSbFMs1AwUlNVS1XGWAdca13yYeJjQ2SdZlRo8mu3cFJw1XOzfjN-r3_Ggh6Cm4PbhEiFMoV7hX2J04w2jHaNGY9Gj_qQVZMnlSCVLpWHl5WXl5o7m6Gdrp48ogCio6SRpwisl6yYrrPAZsHzw23Q9dWm18_ZX9sL217djOAS4XPjauQi6-7r9ew473zviPAf8Gvw1fId98H31_k3

ghost reaver - Its not viable, since i can kill mobs with 1 to 3 casts my ES never goes down, our 0,4 leech from catarina mod will keep our life full

Aoe - i used the witch part most of time, after some tests using templar aoe nodes i decided to keep using (isnt needed).

golem - i personally prefer using ice golem for the crit and chill ground

movement - i forgot, but, ill drop vaal ice nova to use whiriling blades and fortify

tip: for my next shadow, expect to see me dropping 1 offensive curse and using a warlords mark for more leech and maybe using a call of the brotherhood

Deaths - what are u doing to die so much?, when i played, even in 6 man parties, i took almost 0 damage from mobs and im the guy who always go first in packs (thats why i died to thornflesh), kaom and daresso are easy fights if u understand the mecanincs, with 2 vaal storm calls i 1 shot kaom, and daresso its just a movement fight, i got lv 84 and played most maps up to 75, colonade brutus, onslaught orchard and all fights i had without problem

i checked your gear and looks like the same i used, you should not have problems at all, i think you have to change ur playstyle or something
This world is an illusion, exile!
Totems for life!
Last edited by Mawwk on Aug 7, 2015, 10:38:56 AM
I probably just play the build far too aggressively honestly, I tend to teleport right into the middle packs or quicksilver/run right into the middle before starting to nova. If i take a stun during that time, most likely dead.

The build is also insanely squishy with only 13% physical reduction and 10% evasion and my defensive stats don't quite measure up to yours atm... 3.7k life and 1.8k ES.

As far as kill speed goes on single targets... I'm not sure if my storm calls don't work or something, because they don't kill bosses anywhere near that fast :/

When I dropped both my storm calls on kaom or daresso on merciless they take maybe 10% of their life in damage...and then it takes about 1,000 more shock novas to kill them.
(With no charges when i was doing these bosses my shock nova was only 6.3k dps)

Also the 111 point skill tree looks exactly like what I was thinking pretty much.

****EDITS****

Finally picked up my final piece of gear for now and at level 76 here's my stat lineup:

3.8k HP, 2.1k ES
60% crit, 16.3k dps Shock nova (5 power/3 frenzy charge)
Last edited by Bloodytrailz on Aug 7, 2015, 2:54:02 PM
@Bloodytrailz

You could try out my shock nova build:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1381535

It takes a different approach to the build but the dps and defense is solid id say.
Grabbing Vaal Pact soon even.

@Mawwk

Hope you don't mind me posting a link to my build in your thread :P
Last edited by Mannoth on Aug 7, 2015, 4:14:21 PM
Alright, so I'm new to PoE and this shock nova character is the first real build that I am trying out. Anyways I had a question about the curse part of the build. I have my links set up the same way that you do (Herald of thunder + curse on hit + assassins mark + conductivity) yet whenever herald of thunder strikes an enemy it seems to only apply conductivity and not assassins mark. This means that I never gain power charges. Is this normal? What should I do to fix this?
You need to spec into the curse noteable (that allows for another curse be applied on enemy) or get gear with the same stat.

By default you are limited to 1 curse per enemy.
Ah yes that makes sense. Thanks for the help!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info