Constant lag spikes

I'm also getting severe lag spikes. The sad thing is I'm on a 150mbps connection (advertised, but also realized in speed tests) connecting to California server (SJC -- which is probably about a 20min drive from me). So I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume there's some recent (it wasn't always like this) issues that I hope they can resolve soon.

Running WinMTR I see worst at like 4 seconds. Average of 60ms. I also see around 1-3 seconds in game with the stats visible via F1.

Obviously this renders the game somewhat unplayable...or severely annoying to lose so much XP when you die because you can't use a flask or take any action.

Note: 12 hops on traceroute =(
Pinging each thing along the way, it may be Comcast to blame.
Last edited by tom_m on May 5, 2017, 12:35:40 AM
"
foru wrote:
I have the same problem, every 15-20 seconds lag spike about 1500 ms.

Finally solved this issue today! Dunno exact reason, probably its was broken driver or antivirus. At first time i was sure that this is network/server problem, but i was wrong. I spent alot of time tuning my router/networks settings, everything was fine. Programs for better ping/trace not help at all. So i started digging into my PC settings.

Its was like 3 steps:
- Uninstall antivirus (avast). Turning it off have no effect, this thing doing something in background anyway.
- Update AMD drivers. Use "Clean install" button, this options remove all drivers, restart PC and install everything from scrath. Deselect PlayTV,Raptr (programs for screen recording).
- Uninstall ASUS ROG GameFirst. This one should lower your ping but who knows!

After this steps lags gone.

I was about to give up on this game until I read your message!

As I don't have antivirus and use Nvidia GPU, only thing I could test is ROG GameFirst II on my Asus Z97 Pro Gamer. But I didn't want to remove it, so I changed a few settings and made some tests. Played for about 5 hours and no more lag spikes!

To conclude, the culprit was GameFirst's option "Packet loss avoidance". I haven't tested it on my country's peak times, so I am not sure about it, but could say it is around 90% precise.

Thank you and I hope that someone on Staff checks this message and run some tests on their end to be sure.
And not a single fuck was given to PoE players.

In this forum if your topic does not have MTX on it GGG will not listen.

Im bumping this thread because as many, i still freeze on big packs ( both fps and latency wise )

Suggestion .: Rename thread to "I can't stack many MTX because ..." and be as ambiguous as possible.
Last edited by delreyn on May 31, 2017, 9:04:01 PM
"
delreyn wrote:

Im bumping this thread because as many, i still freeze on big packs ( both fps and latency wise )

Suggestion .: Rename thread to "I can't stack many MTX because ..." and be as ambiguous as possible.

The reason the thread is being ignored is that it is a collection of posts from individuals with similar symptoms, but different problems who have encountered their respective issues over the course of two years. A thread is best thought of as a conversation, and conversations don't work well when you have multiple people trying to talk about different things.

You're welcome to create your own thread or e-mail techsupport@grindinggear.com. That way people can talk to you (and only you) about your specific problem (and only your problem).
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
Last edited by Sarno on Jun 1, 2017, 1:42:37 AM
"
Sarno wrote:
"
delreyn wrote:

The reason the thread is being ignored is that it is a collection of posts from individuals with similar symptoms, but different problems who have encountered their respective issues over the course of two years. A thread is best thought of as a conversation, and conversations don't work well when you have multiple people trying to talk about different things.

You're welcome to create your own thread or e-mail techsupport@grindinggear.com. That way people can talk to you (and only you) about your specific problem (and only your problem).

Your post has no relevance to this thread. It is not about me. It is not about the structure of the thread.

As you said, over 2 years people have come and go and since this thread is still active, it must mean something, right ?

People come because they find similar problems, they see that NOTHING HAS F HAPPENED in the past 2 years. They leave.

Oh yeah, more MTX tabs, f yeah.
"
delreyn wrote:
Your post has no relevance to this thread.

It was relevant to the preceding post.

"
delreyn wrote:
People come because they find similar problems, they see that NOTHING HAS F HAPPENED in the past 2 years.

If you mean that it is still a game played server-side, then sure - that hasn't changed.

It never will.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

Personally I have given up all hope that lag can be fixed, cured, etc. Now it is just part of the game like a hidden monster who casts spells at you and you have no idea where he is.

Some days no lag. Other days I just simply give up playing after a few minutes. POE used to be my main game and would be now EXCEPT THAT THE DAMN GAME IS UNPLAYABLE.

So why bother to post, because of hope. Nothing more.

Guys face it POE will NOT be fixed period.
Hey everyone. I'm on here for the same reason everyone else is. I'm getting massive lag spikes, up to 1200ms, and for a number of seconds in some instances, making it unplayable at the moment. Not to mention trying to fight mobs or bosses. I'll lag, and end up dying.

As we speak, I'm downloading the standalone client. I'm using Steam, and have been told that switching to the standalone client has fixed the issue for some people.

I'll edit this post when I find out if there's any difference.

Let's not be so hasty to blame GGG, they've been doing good work, providing us an excellent gaming experience for a low low price of FREE, with no forceful microtransactions as a bonus.

It could very possibly be Steam's fault, as we all know how unreliable they are...
After some testing, I've found out that even the standalone client has issues...

Seems as if this is indeed a server-side issue with GGG.

I'll be in contact with support to see if there are any fixes.

Right now I can't play it (way too laggy).
Last edited by mpelley92 on Jun 4, 2017, 10:32:02 PM
"
mpelley92 wrote:
It could very possibly be Steam's fault, as we all know how unreliable they are...

No, it couldn't; that doesn't make sense.

The Steam client is created by GGG and simply contains a few APIs created by Valve. It connects to the same Path of Exile servers as the standalone client. I've absolutely no idea why you'd suggest it's Valve's fault, and with respect, it suggests you know little of networking.

"
mpelley92 wrote:
After some testing, I've found out that even the standalone client has issues...

Seems as if this is indeed a server-side issue with GGG.

Based on what testing?

There is a sticky thread which explains how to create a WinMTR log which will hopefully show where along the route a problem is occurring. It can highlight server-side issues, routing issues, peering issues, packet loss, et cetera. If that suggests it's a server-side problem I'd be more convinced. I won't believe a conclusion reached without any evidence to substantiate it.

----

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info