Dead ends in huge "labyrinths" cause frustration

Entrance and exit points for every instance in PoE appear to reside in roughly predetermined locations, which one gets familiar with after a few playthoughs.

Because this sort of ARPG is conceptually designed to bear out repeated playthroughs, I tend to think the objection to dead ends in level design is a moot point. As a completionist, I enjoy having large maps to explore so that I never know exactly where the path I am taking may lead me.

However, I do agree that it may be more fulfulling if there is a way for the procedural generator to plant some sort of event or reward for travelling so far 'off the beaten path'.

Suggestions culled from other threads on this board could be:
A. Random spawning boss
B. Travelling vendor
C. Big chest or some sort of loot cache
D. Big mob (like a monster lair)
E. Random instance with only one way in/out
"We were going to monitor the situation but it was in the wrong aspect ratio."
Last edited by Garr0t on Dec 6, 2011, 4:27:09 PM
I did not mean that the rest of every stage is useless, just in my example. You would climb the tower for one single goal (a side quest/farming) to kill the Countess at the top. The individual levels to the top were relatively small compared to most other maps, and contained little of interest. But that's simply because of the way D2 did things at the time.

It's interesting you bring up the Arcane Sanctuary! That entire level is one I have always thoroughly enjoyed. You enter into the center of the map and you're presented with four linear paths to the exit, of which only one is the true one. It's not quite as frustrating to know you just 'picked the wrong path' because eventually you'll find it. And at the end of every wrong path was a treasure trove of gold and chests.

Also, I was referring to the Sorceress character class's Teleport ability to move to their cursor location for a bit of mana. Even to an unexplored location of the map. I'm not asking for something like this, but it did add a way to 'shortcut' out of dead ends if another nearby path was accessible.
~Veris

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info