Dead ends in huge "labyrinths" cause frustration

When playing big maps that look like huge labyrinths - it is really frustrating finding a dead end without a purpose to it - and having to spend a lot of time running back to the other end of the map.

My suggestion is to reduce the size of labyrinth-like maps - they're not fun to play, when they're huge.

Reserve the biggest size maps for "open" or linear maps (The Ledge).
If however you have to have these dead ends - make it rewarding to find it - add a little "treasure chamber" or some "interesting boss monster".

Edit: I have revised these thoughts in a post further down.
Last edited by Loumy on Dec 5, 2011, 6:34:19 PM
Yeah, there shouldn't be any big maps at all, and there shouldn't be any different ways to go, so you couldn't get frustrated in any way. Maybe you guys at GGG should drop random maps altogether, that concept isn't modern anymore. Also I think every monster should drop the same loot, anything else would be unfair to the players. Skills and passives also suck, get rid of them.
Helionova you broke my sarcasm detector.

Not trying to be mean, but this is a bit of a dungeon crawler game. It really isn't so much a dungeon rail shooter. You are basically asking for this game to be a totally different game.
"I would have listened... I would have understood!" - Scion

Have you removed Asus ROG/GameFirst yet?
he wants the ledge...over and over and over.
~SotW HC Guild~

If any of you have played Diablo II - do you remember the maps in Act 3 like "Spider Forest" and "The Flayer Jungle" - or Act 2 "The Maggot Lair"?

Do you remember how frustrating it was running around in those labyrinths?

Personally I prefered the open and linear/symmetric maps.

Like entire Act 4 was large open maps and "The River of Flame" was pretty linear with no dead ends without a purpose. "The Chaos Sanctuary" was symmetric and had no dead ends without a purpose.

Same goes for the first map in Act 5 (Bloody Foothills if I remember correctly) - it was pretty much open and linear.

But of course if you played a Sorceress with teleportation - dead ends were pretty fast to get out of.

Last edited by Loumy on Nov 28, 2011, 3:30:06 PM
I did personally find the D2 Act III jungles / river area to be a bit of a pain. Though it was pointed out to me that the sequence of areas at the start of Act III actually changes which is also a cause of the problem.
And the maggot lair was just horrible because of the narrow corridors, I didn't have a problem with the actual exploration part.

I see what you're getting at though, a common thing D2 did in its dungeon was to have several possible goal locations, and only one spawn as the real goal room with the rest as similarly shaped but false rooms with some reward chest and a magic mob or something.

I've taken this design into the Chamber of Sins level 1, so be sure to check that out and see how you like it.

Currently this is a little difficult to do this thing and keep it random without a large amount of pre-designed dungeon shapes.

Any area in particular that you are thinking of?
Level Designer/Dungeoneer

Always post a screenshot with /debug command entered into the chat window.

First stop for Common Technical Problems
I'll reserve this post.

Edit:

Actually I have realized after playing the game through this evening - that the so called "dead ends" I experienced were on very big "square" maps, because the corners are often dead ends.

I have no idea how map generating work - and of course we cannot just delete all corners on a map :-D
It's a challenge.

I guess, that it's the huge size of the maps that makes it feel like the corners are dead ends.
Maybe you could split up 2 large maps into 3 smaller ones.
Finding entrances feels like progression - and exploring huge maps doesn't in the same way feel like progression.
You could even add a little treasure at each entrance - to kind of say "Hey we reward you for finding this.." I dunno :-D

I took some screenshots and drew my walking path into the map.

Chamber of Sins is a really big square map, and I'm glad, that you've looked into lvl 1 at least :-)

Submerged Passage lvl 2

Crossroads

Chamber of Sins lvl 2

But I guess maps like that is what defines the genre? I don't know.

Maybe you should make a poll and ask the beta testers which 3 maps they like the most and which 3 maps they dislike the most. :-)
Of course the results would also be affected by the mobtypes in that area...
Last edited by Loumy on Dec 6, 2011, 4:37:36 AM
IGN Crakk
Last edited by maryn on Nov 28, 2011, 4:35:37 PM
@Loumy: Without dead ends, everything would be linear. Did you ever play Final Fantasy 13? There were no dead ends or crazy mazes, which made the game very boring.
"
Kendroxide wrote:
@Loumy: Without dead ends, everything would be linear. Did you ever play Final Fantasy 13? There were no dead ends or crazy mazes, which made the game very boring.

You can have large open areas like the crossroads, and side branches in dungeons that lead to something (eg. treasure chest and/or unique monster).
IGN: Jerk, Princess

http://orbswap.info - the easy way to trade currency

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info