Fire Nova Mine

"
Sheriff_K wrote:
What's the base Radius on Fire Nova Mine?
Been using this skill mainly with focused on increased AoE radius.

Most of the problems I have with the skill are related on how poe handle specific skill itself.

1. As mentioned before, remote mine shouldve work with "planting at current position" rather than go to cursor position and plant the mine. Shift work fine, but I will feel pain at for very long period of time.

Additionally there is seem some sort of problem with detonate button since even with tremor rod fast laying trap speed and mine arming (is mine arming slower than laying speed even with saboteur?) and detonation, the fire nova never come out immediately even after finishing the laying animation. This is very obvious when you tried to alternating between planting the mine and detonate it while walking.

2. I have no problem with mana cost since I went with MoM route with focused on life & mana regen, but I can understand that spamming mines alot with tremor rod with 100 mana cost each can drain whole pool even with clarity.

3. It seem like in PoE, when you increased the AoE size of any skill, the particle size seem to be enlarged as well. While it is kinda look cool, at the moment I having problem with certain encounter.

Combination of mine field, 10 fire nova mine and continous fire nova will clutter the screen so much that it made much harder to see the effect on the ground, this one is particular obvious when you fighting against malachai and atziri since you HAVE TO stop spamming the skill so you will able to the ground effect. Im not sure if there is any other skill in PoE that can fill the screen with so much effect with just one skill.

This is badly need to be addressed by toning down the particle effect size or opacity of it.

I have no idea how inferior the miner build is compared to other meta build since this is pretty much my best / fun build I had for awhile.
Anyone feel a difference with power charge generation through the Blast Cascade node after the Atlas expansion patch? Feels to me like it doesnt work with Minefield anymore and its back to being the 8% for each detonation rather than 8% per mine detonated.
Trying to make it work with MOM and ED but the mana costs are WAY to high
A friend created a Fire Nova Mine build as league starter in Essence league.

It was a really decent build providing a lot of damage output.

He stoppped playing this character at level 86 because of constant frame drops. His frame rate dropped down to 10-15 fps while 10 mines were active.

Even on my system with an Intel i5 and a Geforce GTX 960 I got frame drops from 200 fps down to 40-45 fps.

This is his passive tree: https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAABAYDAQN1BAcEswceCPQOSBEvEZYRwhZvGjgabB8CIvQjXySqJpUnLysKMhg2PTbFNuk3FzpYOtg8BT1fRXxFnUlRSbFMs1JTUzFTUlRHVUtVxlZIWHdd8l8EYeJiT2KsaPJqQ2wLbIxtGXBRdm9-sH_Ggh6Cm4PbiEKMNpBVkSuTJ5Uul5WXl5f0mjua4Juanaqdrp3ZnsSf36BDoS-iAKa-pwizA7Q4tMW3dbkGvOq-isBUwGbBxckG1abXz9gk2FTbC9vn42rkIuUZ62Pr7uw47TzuFe9874jwH_DV9p_5N_v1

He did not even use Increased AOE Gem.

How to rebuild the situation:

1. Skill saboteur like the above passive tree
2. Link Fire Nova Mine Skill Gem with Mine Field Support Gem
3. Place 10 mines
4. Detonate mines

I do not know the exact problem with the performance. I do have some theories:

- Too many particles to calculate
- The Fire Nova has light sources and with increased area of effect the number of light sources are also increased (since the performance was a little bit improved by turning shadows off, which cannot be the solution here)

I really hope some devs are looking into this and make this skill playable, also for weaker machines.

EDIT:

I almost forgot: While 10 mines are detonated in addition to the frame drops the game feels slowed down.

Cheers

Zelli
Last edited by Zelli87 on Dec 2, 2016, 1:16:24 AM
Is placing a mine considered "casting"? I know Faster Casting Support doesn't increase the speed of placing mines, but do nodes that give stun avoidance such as Practical Application apply to placing mines?
Nope. You gave the answer yourself.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Nope. You gave the answer yourself.

Thought I would ask since FNM has the spell tag.
I'll copy past some data regarding 2.6 area changes. Original taken from a fire nova build on the shadow forum :

Spoiler
Pre 2.6 radius with 40% increased radius + 44% from 11 mines : total 84% radius. (achievable with skilltree alone. No gear necessary).

30*1.84 = 55.2 'length unit' final radius

Post 2.6 radius with 6*8% + 2*10% increased Area from tree + 88% from 11 mines: total 156 % increased Area (again, no gear necessary).

base Area of fire nova mine : 30 * 30 * 3.14 = 2826 'area unit'
area of fire nova after increase : 2826 * 2.56 = 7235 'area unit'
Conversion to radius : squareroot( 7235 / 3.14 ) = 48 'length unit' final radius.

Final result:

New fire nova mine will be shorter by 13.2%
A very consequent nerf, but the build remains manageable.

Another way to look at the change.
The new radius will be as if you were only taking 60% increased radius with current value.
We will lose ' 24% increased radius of area ' on the tree, for as many skillpoints.

Again, consequent, but manageable. It may very well double cleartime though, since we will be well below the screenwide threshold. Meaning clearing one screen or one huge pack might very well take two complete detonations rather than one.

Still my personnal choice for SSF, but I am not bothered by slower cleartime.
playing with fire nova mine as my main skill in legacy league. the skill is very easy to level with (one of the best out there) and packs a lot of power for endgame as well.

i am playing with this skill on a crit based hybrid saboteur currently lvl 89 and i'm doing just fine. about 5000 life and 3000 es so i can take a few hits before i go down.

my items:
Spoiler

passives:

+ great coverage
+ we can set deadly traps!
+ great for bosses and labyrinth
+ no reflect damage
+ mine cooldown/recharge is not a problem at all

- mines. depending on flasks and regen alone for sustain.
- not the most efficient for breaches
- rather high mana cost
- helm enchantment (repeats 2 additional times) is too good for an enchantment. quite close to mandatory.
- have to be careful while placing mines. sitting duck begging to be focused down if close enough to danger.

to sum this up: this is a great leveling skill and it stays powerful from the moment you start using it to endgame. just like a skill should be. therefore i give it a 4/5. a solid skill with few downsides.
Last edited by kompaniet on Jun 2, 2017, 4:18:19 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info