Fire Nova Mine

Post your feedback for this skill here!

Make sure you concisely state your character build, level, and other complimenting abilities you have when you talk about a skill - The more we know about your character, the better we can understand your feedback.
Please email support@grindinggear.com if you need any assistance!

Last edited by Jess_GGG on Oct 1, 2019, 9:11:41 PM
Last bumped on Nov 22, 2018, 9:00:16 AM
dead skill before it ever made it to release. The nerf from 125%-75%-20% damage effectiveness made this skill almost unusable.

The skill was fine at 75% effectiveness. It did a ton of damage but had the massive defensive liabilities of being a mine build.
Last edited by Byrr on Jul 14, 2015, 4:11:32 AM
Anyone found a good way to build around this?

Feels kinda lackluster for me atm (I can barely sustain a 3-link and the damage is meh)
Incredibly weak skill with fat mana costs, difficult to scale by any means. my friend who is an incinerator who I play with does more aoe damage than me by spinning around in circles while incinerating without LMP or GMP xD.

Along with the time it takes to arm mines, even just spamming and instantly detonating the mines, the damage is very low, incapable of even killing trash mobs 2 levels lower with one mine without pure damage supports.

Being a mine skill, very risky skill to use without support of totem or decoys when trying to clear faster than snail pace. Has a great lower bound on clear speed. painful to play due to how much effort is required to do anything. Supports are bad and flat damage additions don't scale the damage very well.
I trying to play fire crit. trap/miner (currently using fire mine and fire trap it two separate 3L Qurtz sceptres with +1 ot fire gems) and the fire nova mine is mana-hungry, more time-consuming, more dangerous and less effective then traps and flame totem.

But the main issue is skill activation:

Currently mines has same activation type like trap - with targeting, BUT difference is that you throw trap at enemy/cursor and it'll work, while you don't throw trap, you just run to the enemy/cursor and lay trap at this place.

This is really AWFUL behaviour. Not only it doesn't make sense, but also you limmit your self to hold mouse cursor ALWAYS near character to place mines correctly, so while using with other skills it generates lots of unnecessary mouse movements and extra-control.

And here is another issue - due current mine's "targeting" at enemy/cursor - if you near some blocking object or surrounded by lots of mobs - you character can't run to that place or can't target at blocking object, so you just CAN'T use skill... Lots of mobs attacks you, and you can't place mine DUE that... For HC-leagues this is especially unviable.

Currently, only using SHIFT works good and you always place mine at your current position, but is very uncomfortable to press skill's activation button together with shift, while other skill doesn't require that. I just can't make myself to hold shift everytime i wanna lay mine.

PLEASE reconsider mine's activation type and remove targeting for mines. Character should always lay mine at position, where it currently standing without "shift", NOT running to cursor's position/targeted enemy to do so.

I really like how skill looks and want to play with mine-focused build, but a this moment i'm obliged to use flame totem instead for more effective gameplay.
FilterBlast - a web-hub with up-to-date item filters and extra features
https://filterblast.xyz
Last edited by Dissolator on Jul 17, 2015, 1:30:34 AM
Another thing, but this is something I feel is a problem with mines in general is that the arming time is far too long.

I can understand maybe the design idea is not allow use of remote mine as a simple damage buff where a player can lay mine and detonate in the same fashion as casting a spell manually, but the current benefits of mine based abilities or the remote mine skill gem does not make mine variants of existing skills worth using, and true mine abilities are made worthless.

Not to mention the clever construction no longer lasting forever even more so encourages nearly instant detonation upon laying, but the arm time is so god damn long.

Even if the mines had enough damage to one-shot every mob and you get every aoe node and use increased aoe, clear speed still bound by lay mine, arm time and the not-quite-instant-(volatile mines lie) detonation... and if you consider having range, then most of aoe is being wasted, or you have to have inefficient movement regardless.
I'm playing a shadow traper with fire nova mine and fire trap with tremor's rod

fire nova/trap and mine damage/add lighting damage/increase area
fire trap/trap and mine damage/multiple trap

i'm currently lvl 66. (My build/gear/gem are perhaps inefficient though, but here is my feedback^^)
whith the combo fire nova/fire trap, acte 1 merciless trash mob were clear easily. it was lesser and lesser efficient when I enter acte 2 and now acte 3. trash mob are a pain to kill with fire nova. my fire trap are more deadly than my mine even if the mine laying speed almost instant with the tremor, I have to lay 2 or 3 mine to quickly kill a white mob. whereas a single fire trap is enough

the tremor's is a big help for the second detonating round of fire nova cause the mana cost is insane. without it I couldn't sustain the mana cost of two round of mine. actually I could lay 5 mine before runing out of mana..., then it goes to 10 with the tremor's.
having to continually use mana flask is arsh sometimes, especially with quick monsters, that start to pop in acte 2...

the only time where fire nova mine is optimal is when I don't have to move and could spam the laying/detonating button... so... rarely from acte 2...
Last edited by kreell on Jul 18, 2015, 3:57:10 AM
I haven't had many issues with Fire Nova Mine since getting a Tremor Rod.

The huge increase to Mine Laying Speed on the Weapon lets you place mines rather quickly. Them exploding twice also means you don't need to set it up too much.

Pretty much how I do it is I set 3, Blow them up. While those three Fire Nova mines are exploding, place 3 more. Then when Detonating, I have 6 explosions (since the first 3 refreshed due to Tremor Rod). Then you just keep doing that, placing another 3, blow up 6, place 3, blow up 6, and have 6 waves occuring nonstop.

There's no way to have 8 mines off the tree or equipment that I can see, otherwise I'd try doing 4 and 4, so currently I can only do 3 and 3.

I hope they add an extra mine somewhere so that I can pull off 4 and 4. I guess you could alternate 3 and 4, 3 and 4, 3 and 4, but I like even numbers.

In any case, Tremor Rod seems mandatory to use any mines, but luckily its a cheap weapon for anyone interested in a Mine build.

The mana cost is rather high though.
Last edited by darkwolf7786 on Jul 20, 2015, 4:23:13 AM
I am not completely sold on the damage yet. For the mana cost it is very underwhelming. Increased AoE and Conc effect are prime candidates for this skill but I dare not use both of them and have a nearly 100 mana cost per mine. Especially with the change to eldritch batter my mana pool and subsequently mana regen are really making this skill less enjoyable to play.
Last edited by Miphradates on Jul 20, 2015, 10:33:20 AM
The damage of FNM felt low from the start compared to just about any other skill, especially when compared to fire trap.

level 71 with a 5L FNM at a tooltip of 1.3k with a dagger or 780 with Tremor Rod. I run EB to support the mana cost. Most whites drop with 1 mine. Blues 3 to 5. Sometimes a full stack @ 1.3k tooltip cant even kill some blues.

Rares really depend on the mods.

Uniques can take a long while depending on what they are and their mechanics.

Overall it is a fun play style but I do not expect to make it much farther into maps. FNM are purely a solo skill.

GGG may want to take a look into re-balancing mines in general.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info