[outdated] Caustic Arrow Solo Map MFer (20/300+)

How does this build do for lab farming? Is the dps too low?
builds: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1663570/
Uber, I take it?

It's fine. Not the fastest, but you can get it done as long as you swap out of MF gear into survival gear.

Takes me ~8-10 minutes per run IIRC.
Jul 27, 2011 - Sept 30, 2018.
"
Serleth wrote:
Uber, I take it?

It's fine. Not the fastest, but you can get it done as long as you swap out of MF gear into survival gear.

Takes me ~8-10 minutes per run IIRC.
Huh, I might check this build out next league, if SC exalt prices are anything like HC ones (for crafting). I'll probably add some random gimmick to make myself feel special though ;p
builds: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1663570/
Now that I finally crafted myself a fine bow, I'll let you take a peek at it:

Spoiler

I started by buying the 6l base for 2 1/2 ex and selling the 5l +3 for 1 ex, then proceeded for some days with only the +2 skills. What astounded me was that the 6l +2 bow offered substantially more damage than the 5l +3.

When I had enough of waiting until my own masters reached level 8, I decided to throw a heap of currency into the maws of those smarter than me, meaning those who levelled their master from day 1 on.

The resistance affix i got through scouring +2 / random suffix-results a few times, and was presented with the mana per kill affix. all in all, i am quite happy. I could have had +2 % more speed had payed 1 ex more for a better base, but it was not worth it to me.

There it was, my first 6l +3 bow. :-)

Currently i am pondering wether or not to exalt it. There is a suffix open, and exalting the bow might result in one of three resistances (very good), increased attack speed (hm) and life gained on kill (good), and 9 other categories which would not be as good.

However, the categories each contain a number of affixes, altogether 46 I do not want, and 33 I would like to have. I dont know exactly how those affixes are chosen, but it looks like my chances could be worse. We'll see. Before basically throwing away one exalt though, i'll probably invest in a nice hat, now that I don't need fire resistance there anymore. :-]

Hm, now that I bought a new jewel, used some chromes and fusings and rearranged gems, i realized i am kind of done. ~30 iiq / 280 iir. now, what to do. another build? strange feeling. btw, the yoloexalt did not work out. :-(

Spoiler
Last edited by Donnerdrummel on Jul 10, 2016, 3:50:41 PM
You could always pick up a +1 arrow corrupted drillneck. It really does add to the build.
Current league IGN: Teldra_Anc_LAD
Feel free to message me in game if I'm on.
I could, yes, and I would like to. But have you looked at those PRICES recently? They truly justify capital letters, in fact, I could have written the whole sentence in caps without having to feel bad for it. I am really mad that I did not buy some drillnecks when they were at 1-2 chaos in order to vaal them. I only bought two and was unsuccessfull, then decided to save up to buy... something. I don't know what anymore and it doesn't really matter. The lesson that I took from this experience is to be less timid when the opportunity presents itself.

Getting aquainted with the game and its market took some time. I have been playing D2 for a long time. In the battlenet at first and then single player mode. With a game that's basically unchanged for a decade as the defining background (game-wise), I was unprepared for a market as volatile as this. Also, this was the first league I had a premium stash, hence the first league I really started selling things, and the first league I had enough currency to risk some of it. With the relatively low investment of some C, I could have hedged against rising prices. I didn't, and now I'm stuck without a +1 drillneck. Unless I give in to the desire, of course, and buy uncorrupted ones and vaal them one at a time. However, of the 4 drillnecks I bought this league and the last, vaaling resulted in 2 rare quivers and 2 unchanged ones. *sigh*
Hehe you're right Donner, the market is volatile. for some players, creating market arbitrage generates extreme wealth (remember the master craft "gate" of +3 bows, some temp leagues ago), for some this leads to decisions like mine:
Spoiler

let me tell you that I completely understand you. My philosophy is quite conservative given PoE is a video game and such, but my time is limited (as is my motivation). After the first gruesome (but very valable) lessons of RNG in this game, I decided to never gamble for crucial parts again. I'll never attempt to 6L something over selling fuses to buy chaos/ex to buy a 6L directly. I'll never gamble to chance skyforths by using hundreds of chance orbs at league start, I rather sell them at reasonable rates in bulk to amass chaos instead and upgrade my gear. I will try to corrupt spare parts if I see an optimization opportunity, like spare quivers or that amulet with a bad implicit, yet I'd never do so with a crucial part of my equipment when I have no adequate replacement.

this means that I won't enjoy the "youtube" moments of 1 fuse = 6link, but it also means that I won't be pissed because after 3587 fuses my item still has only 4 linked sockets. and tbh, the latter feels worse than the prior could be worth to me, that's just how my personality "works" and I know it. I don't gamble IRL, I find it gross. This somehow shines through into other parts of my life ^^.

So TLDR, instead of hoping for that one lucky punch, I amass what I have and buy what I need directly.

also, this late in the league it's quite pricey to get upgrades, so in new leagues you can setup a search for that drillneck and buy it when it appears, or you ease on that luxury item and just casually try to corrupt it yourself. The build worked with one arrow, it worked with two (ascendancies) and it will only work so much better with three. If you're actually a risk-taker, try to corrupt your 6L +3 bow to one that gives +1 arrows too ^^

e: spoiler for readability.

IGN: WildTortillaFart
Last edited by Chronodroid on Jul 13, 2016, 1:22:20 AM
I'll add this:

The one thing I've learned in the PoE economy is that rarely does it pay off to wait.

A friend of mine wanted a +arrow Drillneck for Standard. I figured to wait a little bit, but then I remembered my own advice and snagged a nearly perfect phys damage roll for 1.5ex.

Cheapest available now with a high phys roll? 8ex.

As to Chrono's remarks re-6Ling, I'd just like to provide an opinion.

Why you should 6L items yourself
There are only two reasons imho to avoid 6Ling something yourself (typically):

* Time available
* Need to be "first" to something, like Uber farming.

Example and some stats:

I'm currently working on 6Ling a Pledge of Hands for my next build. Lowest price as of yesterday was 7.5ex, with fuses at 160:1ex, that places the value of the item in fuse-equivalent at 1200 fusings. Which just so happens to be roughly the *cough* "average expectation" to 6L an item.

I've 6L'd over 70 items now in PoE.

2/70 - 2300 and 2800 fusings
1/70 - 1350 fusings
67/70 - 1100 fusings or less

Average 6L cost - 850-900 fusings.

As mentioned, if you don't have the time (or drive) available to re-farm fusings in the event of a nightmare 6L (less than 5% of the time), that's completely understandable.

However, presuming you do have the time (and drive) available, you should do a cross-comparison of the cost of the item you want in terms of its 6L market value with its fuse-equivalence price, and if the value of the item is greater than or equal to 1250 fusings, you should do it yourself.

On average, over time, you will save currency.

I used to keep a list of how many fusings I've spent on 6Ling items, but that died somewhere last year, so we'll just go with the above information and do a comparison to the cost of a Vorici 6L AND the cost of an item presuming it is valued at 1300 fuse equivalent.

For the sake of this comparison we will also be using a Standard fusing ratio of 115:1ex

1500/115 = 13ex (Vorici)
1300/115 = 11.3ex (guesstimated average 6L item cost on the market, in Standard, for common uniques or non-GG rare items).

Since the above average 6L value of 850-900 includes the two nightmare 6Ls, we will use the lower end of the average value to calculate the rest of the 6Ls cost.

2300 + 2800 + 1350 + (850 * 67) = 63,400 fusings = 551.3ex

Versus

70 6Ls * 11.3ex (average cost of straight up buying 6Ls) = 791ex
70 6Ls * 13ex (Vorici method) = 910ex

Difference: 239.7ex savings (358.7ex versus Vorici)

This is conservative, given that approximately 9 of my 6Ls have occured in 200 fusings or less, and an additional 10 or so have occurred in 600 fusings or less, but you get the point.

By 6Ling items myself, over time, I've saved enough currency to buy 8.5 pairs of Skyforth boots (currently priced at 28ex in Standard).

Yes, you will occasionally lose currency, but over enough 6L attempts you will beat the odds. Significantly.

For the record, this isn't just my own confirmation bias here. Every time this topic comes up on reddit, there's a wealth of people who go "Oh, I tried 6Ling an item. Once. And I spent 3,000 fusings. So never again."

And then there's a minimum five other people that chime in saying their experience roughly matches mine: 800-950 fusings average per 6L, with a minimum 40 6Ls attempted.

EDIT:

AAAAAAAAAAND, case in point.

Total was ~500-600 fusings

Last edited by Serleth on Jul 12, 2016, 11:59:50 PM
Interesting read as always Ser :) yet, this can't change my way of getting a 6L, but that's OK since the world would be quite boring if all did the same in the same way, hehe! I already gave away my stuff once more, so savings wouldn't matter, but the worst-case scenario would :-/

Also congrats to another 6L! Since FB is not supported by Echo anymore, which direction are you going with it?
IGN: WildTortillaFart
Yeah, the game would've dulled for me a long time ago if everybody approached things the same way.

I don't Flameblast with Pledge anyway, I use Searing.

But for this particular Pledge I'm going with a crit Blade Vortex Berzerker, decided to try that Uber lab runner that was posted a few pages back.

Spoiler
Pledge / Kaom's / Acuity / Essence Worm for uniques, Taste of Hate in flasks.

Also with Basalt and Granite flasks.

BV - Empower - FC - Crit Strikes - Poison - AoE/Conc

Hatred in Essence Worm.

Leap Slam - Fortify - Culling - Faster Attacks.

Vaal Haste - Lightning Golem - Flame Dash - (?? Decoy??)

Secondary CoH BV with Enfeeble and PcoC

Tree

Amulet will have spell damage and crit multi while the secondary ring slot is just resistances/life. Will probably need a Prismatic (or single-res other ring with a prismatic explicit) and two 40%+ rolls.

Will probably adjust as I go along but that's the base I'll be working with.

I figure I might drop the whole utility setup listed above and instead opt for a Warcry linkage with CWDT for T15 bosses. We'll see how potent the build gets using the original concept first, though.
Last edited by Serleth on Jul 13, 2016, 5:25:44 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info