Suddenly Dying (Hardcore) issue for anyone?

Honestly speaking, I have played for over 1000 hours and don't have a single one of the problems. The only ones I have really are desyncs with atziri while using whirling blades, but I know I'm using a desync pron skill, so I'm ok with that. A majority of my deaths in mapping are either because of a particularly dangerous map boss, or me going YOLO and opening an unid strongbox with another exile or beyond boss nearby
Sure, the lab can be hard, but it's pretty easy if you're properly geared, and not terrible at the game.
"
NotForHire wrote:
Hi Guys,

I just want to ask if anyone else in Hardcore has an issue with suddenly dying without any prior warning in PoE. And by this I mean dying to bosses, auras and monster effects combined, etc. (This is not a bug, but typical gameplay I'm talking about)

What I'm saying is that I'd prefer to:

1) Have a chance to fight for my character's life instead of simply seeing it be alive one moment and dead the next.

2) Would like to know what is killing me or killed me in a clear and concise manner (some sort of recap after death?)

In other action RPGs, if im going to die, i can see it coming because my health bar drops. This gives me a chance to fight, flee or react; a chance to come in with new resistances or more armor and hp if I get away.

I spend hours of hard work and effort to level my Hardcore characters, GGG. I don't want to see them disappear suddenly.

Can we get this addressed?

P.S. - I want to play Hardcore for the thrill of survival. So please don't tell me to play Normal mode. I'm asking that Hardcore mode give me this thrill, instead of eliminating me all of a sudden. Thank you for not trolling.

You must come from diablo 3...

Even in diablo2 death was imminent just as it often is in Path of Exile:
Stygian dolls
Gloams
MSLE Bosses
Fana spear throwers etc.

This is hardcore, and you are supposed to die. I can only agree on that it would be fun to see what killed you and how much damage by having a combat log - the rest is good as it is.
"
Rowanbladex wrote:
Honestly speaking, I have played for over 1000 hours and don't have a single one of the problems. The only ones I have really are desyncs with atziri while using whirling blades, but I know I'm using a desync pron skill, so I'm ok with that. A majority of my deaths in mapping are either because of a particularly dangerous map boss, or me going YOLO and opening an unid strongbox with another exile or beyond boss nearby

This. If you are always suddenly dying, chances are you aren't building a character that is both tanky enough, and prepared for lots of situations. For example, I'll use my elemental Incenerator that I used to finish top20 and win a demigod last 1MHC league. That character had the following for defenses.

5,700 hp
280/second hp regen
79/79/83 resists
Level 20 Arctic Armour
40% Dodge
46% Spell Dodge
6L cloak of flame (full 20% phys reduction due to AA)
Dual curse CWDT: Enfeeble + Warlords Mark (leech)
Standard cwdt immortal call setup
Taste of Hate flask

Now yes, this character is exceptionally tanky. You may not be able to build your character with as many defensive options as mine has due to things like skill tree location. The point is, you need to put in as many passive defenses as possible, because eventually something crazy is going to surprise you, like an enormous pack of Spirit Walker Devourers, and just 1 extra defensive layer could be what saves you.

Last edited by Nerdicide on May 22, 2015, 3:11:17 PM
"
Cosma wrote:

Stygian dolls
Gloams

I hate you for reminding me of these. And of why I came to hate Diablo 2 in general. That game hated melee with a passion. And I recall gloams mostly being a problem because the +resists quest reward was bugged so that once you died you no longer actually got the boost. Still, evil bastards that seemed to just ignore super-high capped resists and absorbs, etc. There wasn't really a defense for these other than to just not be there.
"
TimeDilation wrote:
"
Cosma wrote:

Stygian dolls
Gloams

I hate you for reminding me of these. And of why I came to hate Diablo 2 in general. That game hated melee with a passion. And I recall gloams mostly being a problem because the +resists quest reward was bugged so that once you died you no longer actually got the boost. Still, evil bastards that seemed to just ignore super-high capped resists and absorbs, etc. There wasn't really a defense for these other than to just not be there.

Did gloams shoot lightning that pierced and could 1 shot you without resistance?

Dolls ofcourse I remember and will never forget. Years ago, I was grinding like crazy on day 1 after a ladder reset. It was a blizzard sorc, hardcore ofcourse, and I was one of the top sorcs at the time of this encounter. My group was ready to start doing NM Baal runs, and it was my job to teleport down to the throne room, and put up a TP. I had just entered the last level, and saw a pack of mobs right next to me, and instinctively casted my blizzard. I had forgotten that mobs from earlier acts could spawn there, and indeed it was a pack of dolls. I instantly ripped to their death explosions, on our very first nightmare Baal run...
Last edited by Nerdicide on May 22, 2015, 4:12:57 PM
"
Nerdicide wrote:

Did gloams shoot lightning that pierced and could 1 shot you without resistance?

They'd shoot you from off-screen, too.
"
NotForHire wrote:
"
GGG will just say that the point of all those bosses/mods is exactly to kill you. you can just reroll the mods or start a new map.

You can't always tell by looking at a boss or a map whether it will kill you outright. Otherwise even the best of us (like the streamers) would not be having this issue.

We already avoid Maps and Bosses we know we can't handle. The damage done, types of damage, and randomly assigned modifiers need to be managed, or there should be safeguards in place to allow for fairer fights and the chance to survive.

That's the point of the game: to face the challenge and overcome it. Not to lose everything without a chance for trying.

Okay, see, you've nearly stumbled onto the salient point here.
It's on you to do all that for yourself. You had the chance, but you didn't have the foresight to prevent it. That's really all there is to it. That awareness and level of preparedness is the measure of skill here.

Auras and shrines are obvious tells. Blue mobs are easy to pick out visually, as are yellows. You can defuse a lot of dangerous combinations simply by pulling pieces of packs out to yourself, reading it then choosing to commit or not.

Here's an incomplete list of things to pay attention to:
- Allies Have Increased Physical Damage (aura -- strong visual tell)
- Allies Have Substantially Increased Physical Damage (aura -- strong visual tell)
- Allies Have Increase Critical Chance and Accuracy (aura -- strong visual tell)
- "Deadly" affix (Powerful Crits)
- "Savage" affix (Increased Damage)

So a Deadly pack that you let get up on you being boosted by a Allies Have Substantially Increased Physical Damage is dangerous. But it's otherwise laughable if you pull off the mobs a few at a time and the aura is quite visible. Individually those pieces don't one-shot you. (Although mobs with strong gap closing skills can make that difficult. Which is why Devourers are so universally loathed.)

While such combinations are relatively rare, they're also inevitable if you play long enough. And it's what will kill you. The other 99% of instances don't matter. Sometimes that aura is boosting a bunch of whites, with the yellow having no other damage scalars. So you ignore it that one time and steamroll it with nary a backward glance, thinking nothing of it. And you lull yourself into complacency. Don't do that.

Carelessness, drunkenness or fatigue can also cause you to overlook the obvious. So can pushing down that instinct of dread that tells you something is a bad idea, whether because of peer pressure or simple bravado. Listen to your instincts. It's a wiser voice than your pride, greed or sense of obligation.

If you've ever played Spies in TF2 and gotten good at it, other players perceive you as something that just strikes suddenly out of nowhere. That's just an illusion. The whole point is that they let the opportunity to stop you pass them by, because they are ignorant/lazy and you are not. There's nothing sudden about their loss. It only looks sudden because they were never thinking about the Spy in the first place.

Knowledge really is power. But few people truly believe it or act upon that belief. You really can't know the depth of your own ignorance until you have the proper perspective to know better.
Last edited by DeviantLightning on May 22, 2015, 7:58:53 PM
"
NotForHire wrote:
You speak as if you've never played this game before.

And as if you've never watched the streamers either.

Please come back and give an opinion when you know what you're talking about.

It's always easy to say such things if you don't give any argument... You asked something and he simply answered to try and help you.

That being said, every streamer I've seen dying, died because they were careless, didn't have good enough gear for the level of maps or due to desync/glitches. And PoE is specifically designed to be able to burst down any character. So your first point will probably never be implemented because this is not how GGG sees their own game as far as I know.

I would however really really really like to have a death recap. Sometimes there is just so much going on, I have no clue what actually hit me that hard and which debuffs I was having at the time. This would be also very good for newer players trying to learn the game. It's pretty hard to start reading the debuffs in the upper left corner while fighting for your life for example.

"
TimeDilation wrote:
"
Nerdicide wrote:

They'd shoot you from off-screen, too.

And with 10 at the time with piercing lightning. Even the Necro wasn't safe from them.
Great PoE utilities!
Aura Calculator: https://poe.mikelat.com/
Vorici Chromatic Calculator: http://siveran.github.io/calc.html
One-shot calculator: https://goo.gl/IJhYDx
Only one thing i would like to have on HC is a log. To think of it knowing how you died is not going to magically bring your character back to life but somehow it makes pain easier.

You have died to [Haast, Unrelenting Frost] damage taken [6190(Critical)] from source [Ice Spear]
"
Teplokot wrote:
... damage taken [6190(Critical)]...

ROFL.

Would be hilarious to see your hp drop to 0 because of that.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1394759 - Suggestion for beginner tutorial.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info