Biggest mistake from the DEV"S

"
Raycheetah wrote:
"
RichyRichy wrote:
I just think that the beta key should be distributed to those who are actually active. There are many times when I see people who registered a few months ago and they only go on once and never again. I think the system would be better if after a few months of inactivity an account has a very low or no chance of getting a beta key unless they become active again later on. This ensures that people who get the beta key will actually USE it.

I just gave a key to a forum member who registered back in 2010, who had four forum posts the whole time, and who had last visited (logged on, as opposed to simply reading) in October.

He was very happy to have the opportunity to join the Beta. I have no doubts that he will use it.

You see, your problem is an irrational assumption that everybody uses fora the way you do. You assume that, because a forum member doesn't post, that they are not interested.

Many folks aren't comfortable posting, or simply feel that they have nothing to add to the discussion. However, they read without posting. They're called lurkers, and they make up a surprisingly large portion of forum visitors on any forum. I think what this forum needs is a visitor counter, so that the number of people who are actually reading without a log-in can be shown.

Then mebbe folks like you will come to understand that what you're demanding is the unfair disenfranchisement of people simply because they choose only to observe the forum. ='[.]'=

Maybe I am misunderstanding the "last visited" when I go to people's pages. Does the last visited part mean when the person is last ONLINE or does it mean when they last posted? Because I thought it was when they were last ONLINE so I presumed that they only made their account and never really even went back on the website after that.
"
RichyRichy wrote:
"
Raycheetah wrote:
"
RichyRichy wrote:
I just think that the beta key should be distributed to those who are actually active. There are many times when I see people who registered a few months ago and they only go on once and never again. I think the system would be better if after a few months of inactivity an account has a very low or no chance of getting a beta key unless they become active again later on. This ensures that people who get the beta key will actually USE it.

I just gave a key to a forum member who registered back in 2010, who had four forum posts the whole time, and who had last visited (logged on, as opposed to simply reading) in October.

He was very happy to have the opportunity to join the Beta. I have no doubts that he will use it.

You see, your problem is an irrational assumption that everybody uses fora the way you do. You assume that, because a forum member doesn't post, that they are not interested.

Many folks aren't comfortable posting, or simply feel that they have nothing to add to the discussion. However, they read without posting. They're called lurkers, and they make up a surprisingly large portion of forum visitors on any forum. I think what this forum needs is a visitor counter, so that the number of people who are actually reading without a log-in can be shown.

Then mebbe folks like you will come to understand that what you're demanding is the unfair disenfranchisement of people simply because they choose only to observe the forum. ='[.]'=

Maybe I am misunderstanding the "last visited" when I go to people's pages. Does the last visited part mean when the person is last ONLINE or does it mean when they last posted? Because I thought it was when they were last ONLINE so I presumed that they only made their account and never really even went back on the website after that.

It's actually the last login time, so it could be quite out of date. This may change some time though.
If you have account problems please [url url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]contact support[/url].
"
Dylan wrote:
It's actually the last login time, so it could be quite out of date. This may change some time though.

Ah, ok. Then my stance stays; I think it would be better if the active members that go on the website have better chances than those who just made an account and stopped visiting the website. Many times when I check the person made their account in April or some months ago and they were last active on that same day. These people are taking away opportunities from other people who are actually going to play the game.

Perhaps even take out those who have not been on the web for a few months to increase the chances of others who have been on regularly? Just a suggestion tho! ;D
"
RichyRichy wrote:
"
Dylan wrote:

Ah, ok. Then my stance stays; I think it would be better if the active members that go on the website have better chances than those who just made an account and stopped visiting the website. Many times when I check the person made their account in April or some months ago and they were last active on that same day. These people are taking away opportunities from other people who are actually going to play the game.

Perhaps even take out those who have not been on the web for a few months to increase the chances of others who have been on regularly? Just a suggestion tho! ;D

"Last login" could mean they never log out, too.

As for this statement: "I think it would be better if the active members that go on the website have better chances than those who just made an account and stopped visiting the website."

They already do, ten times the chance. But don't ask that GGG simply renege on their stated requirement, that to be eligible for the Beta, one only has to register on the forum... 'Cause they're not gonna. =^[.]^=

=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
"
Raycheetah wrote:
"
RichyRichy wrote:
"
Dylan wrote:

"Last login" could mean they never log out, too.

As for this statement: "I think it would be better if the active members that go on the website have better chances than those who just made an account and stopped visiting the website."

They already do, ten times the chance. But don't ask that GGG simply renege on their stated requirement, that to be eligible for the Beta, one only has to register on the forum... 'Cause they're not gonna. =^[.]^=

I'm not really sure what you mean by ""Last Login" could mean they never log out, too." Don't they just go on the website with their account and it counts as "Last Login"?

I like how they did add chances for people who use the forums but honestly, sometimes 10x might not be enough. There are a lot of registered users and many times when I check who are getting the beta keys they are users that never log on again and registered months ago. I just think that the keys are going to waste is all. I'm not whining about how I'm not getting a beta key because there are many who waited much longer than me and actually that just makes me stress this even more. I just want the players who are devoted to the game to get an even better chance than the other inactive playerbase.
Last edited by RichyRichy on Nov 22, 2011, 4:37:49 AM
but that has its plus side and negative side
It only seems like we don't have more chances for posting because there are soo many people who don't post. Our 10x chance is just washed away by the thousands and thousands of other people (who aren't necessarily not paying attention, they could just be reading the forums but don't like posting).

But we're lucky that they don't post to be honest, if all of them started posting the forum would probably die in stress and spam :D
"
RichyRichy wrote:
I'm not really sure what you mean by ""Last Login" could mean they never log out, too." Don't they just go on the website with their account and it counts as "Last Login"?
It means that if someone logs in once, and ticks the box to leave them logged in, then they'll never actually log in again, they just never logged out. So their last log in time is when they actually logged in the first (and only) time.

Also, there are people (lots of them) who visit the site and don't log in. You can read all the non-beta forums, keep up with all the news on the game, all without logging in. The only thing you need to be logged in to do is post, so lots of people don't bother logging in because they don't feel they have much to say.

Not logging in does NOT mean someone isn't interested in the game, and doesn't mean they aren't visiting the site regularly. It just means they aren't logging in, which isn't a good measure of interest in the game at all.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info