State of the Beta

"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
"

As far as new weapon mod tiers, maybe GGG feels it's an opportunity for a bit of a reset after all of these years. To give the dogs a new car to chase. Rejuvenation!

theres always a new character to chase for those who want a new character to chase with the current gear mods. AXN is literally the only guy in the game who probably doesnt have a new gear set to chase, and Im not sure turning everything hes worked for over the last 2 years into second class gear is what he wants to happen on release.

It will bring about the exact opposite of that, it will make people whove given over unthinkable amounts of their time and effort to getting stuff feel completely cheated and zap any willpower they have to do it all over again just to have the rug pulled out from under their feet all over again. You could gear 100 different characters in mirrored gear and still have new builds and gear to aim for right now, if you have BiS gear right now and you are not trying to gear up even more characters its because you dont want to gear up more characters, not because theres nothing left to get.

I will never stop making new characters and getting more gear, unless they start putting out new tiers of mods for the sake of it and undermining the work Ive already put in, thats going to stop me putting any more time and effort into this game and make me walk away from Poe for good.

current mirrored items would never be considered 2nd class items even when they introduce a new top tier for certain mods. From what I understand not all mods will receive a new top tier , remember last time they introduced new top tier? it went smoothly and ggg was smart about it, why not trust them again this time around?

they mentioned on multiple occasions that they are always mindful of power creeps and devaluing the item people crafted, they did a good job so far not sure why you'd think this would be any different this time
Last edited by thefredz on May 4, 2015, 11:41:08 PM
HYPE~!
good job~
"
Definition wrote:
"
"
Definition wrote:
Stellar communication from the GGG devs yet again.

On another note, I'm not sure if it's in the budget, and I've never seen others asking for this, but some cinematics in PoE would be really cool.

It's been more or less established that cinematic clips are huge costs for little benefit. They wear off very quickly (majority of players will skip it every time after they've seen it once). However having said that there are a couple of cinematic videos courtesy of Garena which you can search up.

The garena teasers are actually what reminded me of this. I feel it would be so valuable to have something like these in-game, not just for those 2 minutes during which you're actually watching a vid for the first time (after which it becomes old and less interesting, granted). Having even one opening cinematic would just put so much into context. I feel like the quest progression in PoE is highly ad hoc at this point in time. Having clocked at least 1000 hours on PoE (I don't actually want to think too hard about how many hours of my life I've 'lost' to PoE, lol) I can say that I've tried to follow the story but I just have no clue as to why I do anything that I do in game for the most part, quest-wise.

Even one cinematic at the beginning of the game would just contextualise everything, and would make the story easier to follow. I hear that they're changing NPCs' chat mechanics so that you can listen to what they have to say while you fight, and I think that this is such a simple but such a profound change. Things like that would help to tell the story, and it's a good example of how something can be relatively easy to change/not particularly resource-intensive while having a tangible effect on if and how the story of PoE is received. I'm welcome to other suggestions which might be easy for GGG to implement and which might have a noticeable effect as well. I just feel the whole game experience (particularly for new players) would really be enhanced with some better telling of the game's story.

Path of Exile: Chasing Piety, the story of an exiled neckbeard without pants and the friendzone.
Last edited by Tahj on May 5, 2015, 12:41:42 AM
"
Tahj wrote:
"
Qarl wrote:
"
Felix35071 wrote:
Qarl, the problem with Jewel mods rolling two different weapon types only applies to weapons you can't dual wield. Please be sure to allow the Dagger+Sword mods on the same Jewel that you gave as an example. It's only broken when you roll Staff+1Handed, or Wand+Dagger. Only the combinations you literally can't use are a problem. Basically, a Jewel shouldn't be able to roll another weapon mod if it already has a 2 Handed or Ranged mod.
I'll be sad if I can't get that perfect Claw+Dagger Jewel with dual wield block and attack speed...

We have definitely had complaints about mixed weapon jewels even where they could be duel wielded.

I understand it for the most part but I actually think the example cited by Felix probably needs to be a thing. It's a very niche combination that's not actually worthless but might have a very high trading value for specific builds. Also gives potential for the rise of cool new potentially strong builds that nobody thinks about after a couple months of release. It's kind of giving some more depth and hidden potential to the game.

I disagree. I have a build that uses a sword and a claw. how many sword nodes do I take? 0. How many claw nodes? 0. why would you take a node that only effect one of your weapons? You take dual wield nodes, 1 handed melee weapon nodes, nodes like Deadly Dilettante that apply to claws, daggers and swords. You dont go get all the sword nodes and then all the claw nodes thats a terrible idea, if people are building that way then those are not good builds.

the perfect jewel for a dagger + claw combo would be one with "% physical damage" or "% physical damage while dual wielding" or "% physical damage with 1 handed melee weapons" it would certainly not be a jewel that had a solo claw stat and a solo dagger stat taking up 2 affixes to end up with the same bonus 1 of those other affixes would grant.

"
thefredz wrote:
they mentioned on multiple occasions that they are always mindful of power creeps and devaluing the item people crafted, they did a good job so far not sure why you'd think this would be any different this time

with the changes to eb and the devastation that is going to bring to a lot of builds and gear, like people who rolled pure es gear with life on the understanding it would translate into arctic armour to defend them Im not sure what to expect tbh. In my first post I said if this means buffing a few mods that need a buff then Im fine with it, if you are talking about new tiers for all mods or really crucial mods then Im not. Im not jumping to conclusions, Im just putting it out there that "were adding new top tier mods" is a vague and potentially worrying statement and if theyre being vague in order to stick a toe in the water and find out the temperature then Im letting them know how I feel about it.

By the time Rory posted his "hey guys what do you think about the EB change?" thread it was already too late, he asked our opinion but its pretty obvious nothing we say will make any difference. A lot of people whos opinions I value when it comes to talking mechanics are in that thread saying its an awful idea while a bunch of people who, no harm to them, obviously dont really know the state of the defenses in this game that well are saying "yeah yeah its great AA too op too free". Rory went on ziggys stream and said yeah, the reaction to the change is really good... u wot m8? I love Rory but seriously?

the Devs are great, Qarl, Rory and Chris are the most likable of guys and I have the upmost respect for them and the game theyve created but no I do not unquestioningly trust their judgement on things and their grasp on the reality of the game from a players perspective. Theyve been way too busy working on things to understand this game from the perspective of someone who plays it non stop, again that just is what it is, its not a criticism its just a reality.
"
Rafurion wrote:
I don't know how I feel about new top tier mods.

By the way, are you guys going to fix the intelligence bonus from Perandus Signet ring when equipping unique flasks? Its been over a year.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/885514

With the addition of the new Ice storm spell this is hazy territory.

Being able to equip 5 unique flasks (CI build is evident seeing as we get that much int) would enable 30% more int, giving us up to +139 or +143% int in a rather maximized build. It would push a not overly gimped build to the heights of well over 2k int.

With so many sources of % int and extra int and int scaling, this will be a balance issue and not just a simple bug fix.

@As well as refinement to the existing changes we still have the following things to address:
Minion life and damage@

That means they reduce the minions damage and life, or going to be updrade those 2?
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
"

As far as new weapon mod tiers, maybe GGG feels it's an opportunity for a bit of a reset after all of these years. To give the dogs a new car to chase. Rejuvenation!

theres always a new character to chase for those who want a new character to chase with the current gear mods. AXN is literally the only guy in the game who probably doesnt have a new gear set to chase, and Im not sure turning everything hes worked for over the last 2 years into second class gear is what he wants to happen on release.

It will bring about the exact opposite of that, it will make people whove given over unthinkable amounts of their time and effort to getting stuff feel completely cheated and zap any willpower they have to do it all over again just to have the rug pulled out from under their feet all over again. You could gear 100 different characters in mirrored gear and still have new builds and gear to aim for right now, if you have BiS gear right now and you are not trying to gear up even more characters its because you dont want to gear up more characters, not because theres nothing left to get.

I will never stop making new characters and getting more gear, unless they start putting out new tiers of mods for the sake of it and undermining the work Ive already put in, thats going to stop me putting any more time and effort into this game and make me walk away from Poe for good.

I'm sorry but would you really want the top tier to remain the same forever? Maybe you will quit, maybe this is a step to get thousands others to be active in perm leagues that despise mirrored gear for what they are. A 1 time crafted item that will pay you forever without any effort required till the end of times. I can't understand how you miss how wrong that is in a game.

For all i care they just cutoff standard from temp leagues and introduce the new top tiers there. Unless they make some drastic changes to the way standard is atm, there are just to many people who can't be bothered to touch it. Not in the least because of the elite thinking they can make decisions what happens in PoE (or else they quit, lol)
"
666lol666 wrote:
"
Qarl wrote:

Balance

As well as refinement to the existing changes we still have the following things to address:

Minion life and damage
Vaal pact and leech changes
Item mod rebalance
New top tier mods
Unique rebalance
XP gains, and the race to 100 rebalance
Map balance
Master progression changes

Let me translate this for the new players:

We lower minions life and damage
Vaal pact and leech in general will get another nerf.
Item mod rebalance -> Your old items will become crap.
Thanks to the new top tier mods your old BIS items will become crap too.
We will nerf every unique that is not completely useless hard.
We will lower the XP gains and you will never be able to reach lvl. 100 again.
Map balance -> In high level maps even more low level maps and useless vendor crap will drop.
Master progression changes -> tbh no idea... could be anything.......

Ahahah maybe not so tragic, but I think almost the same
"
Miská wrote:
I'm sorry but would you really want the top tier to remain the same forever? Maybe you will quit, maybe this is a step to get thousands others to be active in perm leagues that despise mirrored gear for what they are. A 1 time crafted item that will pay you forever without any effort required till the end of times. I can't understand how you miss how wrong that is in a game.

For all i care they just cutoff standard from temp leagues and introduce the new top tiers there. Unless they make some drastic changes to the way standard is atm, there are just to many people who can't be bothered to touch it. Not in the least because of the elite thinking they can make decisions what happens in PoE (or else they quit, lol)

I don't agree.
Power creep could be a good commercial idea in games like Diablo, where you can equip a char with end game items in a week, try to do the same in PoE, even in 2 years, probably. You cannot vanish such huge efforts in a patch, without giving something in return (maybe a vendor recipe? Mirrored item -> 1 mirror each). There is already the continuously nerf policy that has caused a lot of ragequit, but if the policy becomes power creep every main patch, with the actual difficulty in collecting end game gears, you cannot expect players who love perm league to continue to play, as snorkle said.
Although, perhaps, the ultimate goal is just that ...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info