PC reboots while playing, no bsod.

There doesn't seem to be any specific set of events causing this reboot to happen. I have made sure that "Automatically restart" is unchecked, in the Startup and Recovery section of my Advanced System settings. I still don't have an associated BSOD when these restarts occur.

Sometimes the game will cause a restart within the first few moments of play, and other times I can play for 15-20 minutes before the restart happens.

I do not have a Creative sound card, and am using the on-board Realtek sound card. Despite this, I have attempted to use -swa and --nosound. I have also made sure I am using the most up-to-date audio drivers.

Since this has been occurring, I have tried playing 10-15 other games, for a few hours each, with no issues at all. Many of these games are much more system intensive than PoE (Battlefield: Hardline, CS:GO, GTA:V.)

I recently started playing PoE again, and only now have these issues started.

Here is a screenshot of the highest temps that I was able to capture while playing:
Spoiler

Here is my DxDiag report (the full report wouldn't fit on the forums, so I used Pastebin to host the report:)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am completely out of ideas at this point, and I would like to continue playing Path of Exile in the future.

Thanks for reading!

"Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."
Hi there,

Do you normally run multiple monitors? If so I would be curious to know if there's any improvemtn by stripping down to one.

Also there are quite a few error reports at the end of your DxDiag, suggesting something is broken somewhere, you might get some improvement here if you try running the dxsetup.exe program. This can be found in your path of exile directory (\Program Files (x86)\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile\Redist). If this done not work then I would advise downloading the latest .Net installer for your OS and see if this makes any difference.

Also, check for failed Windows updates as some of the error reports are relating to this.
No longer works at GGG
"
MikeP_GGG wrote:
Hi there,

Do you normally run multiple monitors? If so I would be curious to know if there's any improvemtn by stripping down to one.

Also there are quite a few error reports at the end of your DxDiag, suggesting something is broken somewhere, you might get some improvement here if you try running the dxsetup.exe program. This can be found in your path of exile directory (\Program Files (x86)\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile\Redist). If this done not work then I would advise downloading the latest .Net installer for your OS and see if this makes any difference.

Also, check for failed Windows updates as some of the error reports are relating to this.

- Yes, I do normally run 3 monitors, and it didn't have any affect on PoE in the past. I just tried going down to only one, and am still having my computer restart.

- I have already tried running the dxsetup.exe, and that has not made any noticeable difference.

- I have already verified that I have the most up-to-date .net framework for windows 8.1, but I did run the installer again to attempt a repair on any missing/corrupted files. Since then, I have still encountered issues with restarts.

- The windows update errors are from september of 2014. Since then, those updates have been applied, and I am currently fully up-to-date.

- The other program crash issues are from an ASUS UI suite that kept crashing at some point. I have tried running PoE with it enabled, and with it disabled, with no noticeable difference.

I guess DxDiag keeps records of any/all errors that have ever occurred, because a lot of those are from last year, and have since been resolved.

Is there anything else you could recommend? Maybe a fresh install could make a difference? I have tried verifying the game cache, as well as running the PackCheck.exe in the Path of Exile folder.

Thank you for your response, I do greatly appreciate your help. ^_^
Last edited by Sadisticmgt on Apr 26, 2015, 6:51:33 PM
"
Sadisticmgt wrote:
- I have already tried running the dxsetup.exe, and that has not made any noticeable difference.

The dxdiag dose not fix things, it only runs a check and lists PC parts, OS, drivers and devices and any problems they may encounter down at the bottom.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
The dxdiag dose not fix things, it only runs a check and lists PC parts, OS, drivers and devices and any problems they may encounter down at the bottom.

I was referring to the DXSETUP.exe in the _CommonRedist\DirectX folder. It's the DirectX installer. Not the same as the generated DxDiag.txt. Thanks for the information though.
Last edited by Sadisticmgt on Apr 26, 2015, 6:58:49 PM
"
Sadisticmgt wrote:
I was referring to the DXSETUP.exe in the _CommonRedist\DirectX folder. It's the DirectX installer. Not the same as the generated DxDiag.txt. Thanks for the information though.

:P that what happens when you are half asleep and only skimming.

As for a fresh instal, i'd be supprised if the problem would persist after one, the only thing with doing one is that you would need to do a clean instal which means loosing any data you have on the HDD atm, so you would need to back up onto a storage drive.

Don't know how many updates are ther for windows 8 but i know windows 7 has enough updates that it took me several hours to finish instaling everything
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Last edited by lagwin1980 on Apr 26, 2015, 7:01:10 PM
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
:P that what happens when you are half asleep and only skimming.

As for a fresh instal, i'd be supprised if the problem would persist after one, the only thing with doing one is that you would need to do a clean instal which means loosing any data you have on the HDD atm, so you would need to back up onto a storage drive.

Don't know how many updates are ther for windows 8 but i know windows 7 has enough updates that it took me several hours to finish instaling everything

No worries!

I meant a fresh install of PoE, not a fresh install of 8.1. I am not really willing to re-install my entire OS just for PoE, at least not until any other options are exhausted. This issue doesn't affect any other program/game on my PC.

Edit: I just tried a fresh install of PoE, and it did not fix the issue.
Last edited by Sadisticmgt on Apr 26, 2015, 7:46:58 PM
"
Sadisticmgt wrote:
Edit: I just tried a fresh install of PoE, and it did not fix the issue.

That's because it's not likely a software issue.. if it is, it's going to be drivers, not programs.
"
Drakier wrote:
That's because it's not likely a software issue.. if it is, it's going to be drivers, not programs.

I am also under that assumption, but considering how small PoE is, it was worth a shot. I'm running out of ideas at this point.
Most spontaneous reboots are either driver or hardware issues.. usually PSU or motherboard, but PSU is usual suspect due to current draw (as long as other temps are low).

It's why I always keep a spare PSU on-hand for testing purposes. It even helps to put the GPU on a different PSU for testing since those draw a lot of power these days (the ones with their own 6 or 8 pin power connector).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info