Meanwhile in Diablo 3...

Okay Natharias,

first: sorry man. I was very rude and thought you were trolling. My bad. I hope you accept my apology.
@topic: That seems like an answer one can work with ;)
- Taste is different. I like the d3-style. Is it "true diablo"? Don't know. But i think that the artwork is excellent and that the settings are beautifully made.
- If you think d1 or d2 were challenging, i must say no. What was challenging about optimizing your character and start running meph and bhaal? I believe that some have some nostalgic views of (especially) d2, that don't fit with what it actually was. D2's immunities for example were not challenging. Immunities meant very often that you just had to run away or run around the mobs. act3 was not challenging, it very often just was annoying. And so on. D2 was unpolished in many ways. It had it's ideal builds too and when you had them, you were doing nothing else than spamming two buttons and that's it (at least in my memories, correct me, if i am totally wrong).
- You say, spamming whirlwind and making shouts is all you do in D3? Well, my marauder in POE jumps into people, then i press right click for ground slam. My windripper curses enemies, then i press right click for tornado shot. And so on. POE is a one-button smasher par excellence ;) And besides maps of lvl 76+ with insane mods (that cost you a lot of chaos if you are unlucky), there is no challenging content in this game. Or at least not more than in D3. There are some unfair or very dangerous bosses in here, because of the game mechanics. But they exist in D3 too. As a melee without an immunity amulett, some Grift-Bosses are deadly as fuck.
- If i get you right, all that separates POE from D3 is that small amount of challenge you see in POE that D3 does not have. I would say, that is totally biased or subjective. There are grifts i did were i died more often than in one month of poe. Some content in POE that is meant or said to be very hard (Poorjoy's for example) was no problem at all for my melee marauder. With ruby flasks up, crematorium or shipyard are a joke. Even 78s are doable, just not with as many and deadly mods others use ;)
- short: Your critizism about d3 is about design, challenge and that's it. All subjective. You of course have the right to think so, no worries mate ;) But are there really enough reasons to wish Blizzard death?
- And to say a last thing: POE isn't D3 also. It is no true successor in my opinion. But that, also, is very subjective ;)

- Last question: When was the last time you played D3? Just curious. What is your paragon level? What levels of Grifts can you rock?

Best regards and sorry again for my rude behaviour ...
The Sirus fight is a disgrace.
Last edited by ghamadvar on Apr 27, 2015, 7:39:14 AM
"
Trensharo wrote:
How is it that they aren't able to compete, when they have made and are still making a ton more money than GGG is on PoE? Diablo also released Console Versions which sold well, as well.

Frankly, the game is way more polished than PoE so if I wanted to play this genre with friends I'd pick D3 by default because I know they wouldn't get frustrated with DeSync Issues, be forced to reroll because they filled in the wrong bubbles, etc.

Different people have different preferences, but it's almost amazing how ignorant some people get on forums when they are religious about their game choices (this happens in other places as well, see smartphone OS forums, Linux/Windows forums, etc.). It amazes me. It's one blip in our evolutionary progression which shines through, thanks to the internet!

I totaly agree D3 is a good choice if you want some casual fun with friends. I have several friends who barely play games but play Diablo 3 from time to time.
Sadly I think the game is aimed too much at that type of players at the expense of not really having that much depth. I just see no reason to go back to it the same way i did with D2, ofc thats my personal opinion.

Its from Blizzard ofc they will make alot of money.
When I was saying it couldn't compete with PoE I was comparing them in terms of content and gameplay. PoE is constantly getting patched with more items, skills etc... and now soon that massive free expansion. It just feels like the developers are atleast trying to do their best with adding more stuff.
Even though Blizzard is making hugh amount of money and got a far bigger development team you would think they could atleast do the same. I just don't see any passion behind the game, most changes they have made has been to maximize profits. Dumbed down features for the mainstream audiance, Cartoony graphics, RMAH, Online DRM and microtransactions.
Besides some better combat and neat animations, they haven't really added much to the ARPG genre that was good, in many ways it has taken steps backwards. Linier levels, no real quest rewards, no pvp, horrible character building, still boring loot(not as bad as vanilla D3, but still kinda dull).

PoE is atleast trying to improve upon on what D2 had to offer. Better talent tree, better skill system, better potion system, better ladder, Better Crafting etc...without dumbing down/removing things.
Thats why I think PoE feels more like the real Diablo sequal even if it has its flaws too.
PoE also got the gloomy atmosphere D1 and D2 had.

"
ghamadvar wrote:

- Taste is different. I like the d3-style. Is it "true diablo"? Don't know. But i think that the artwork is excellent and that the settings are beautifully made.

This is pretty much what it comes down to for me. I put a lot of time into D1 when it was first released. Way more than was healthy. D2 came out, and I enjoyed the hell outta that game. I've tried to give D3 a fair shake. I played for a good couple months, and put in time trying to feel the feelings I had with the first 2 games, and it just wasn't there. I admit, the art style is not my thing. It looks lazy to me. Not poorly done by any means, but lazy in that Blizzard California ( am I right in saying they were who developed this one ? ) took the same art style they've been pumping out for the past 10 years and tried to shoe horn it in where it doesn't fit. However, i can't back that up. It is just how it seems to me.

I didn't care for the combat either. It felt very mindless. Maybe it is because I'm a bit out of touch with the current state of aRPG games. I don't know, but it didn't feel impactful to me. Again, this is just me.

I don't care for the animation. It's over exaggerated and weird looking. The easiest way I can explain it is watching idle animations. It is most clear in those instances. When a character is idle they will heave up and down like they are doing some odd interpretive dance. I find it...odd.

I didn't care for the story. I found it corny and lacking the grim-ness of the first two.

I could go on, but it really is as ghamadvar stated. Taste, preference and comfort. D3 may not be a bad game. It is tough for me to judge because it does so much that aren't what I was hoping and expecting. For the newer generation of players who have grown up with these new mechanics, and visuals it may look better.

I am disappointed after playing D3 and just not getting into it, but at least PoE is around for us who aren't adapting well to the new landscape of arpg games. :P
"I would have listened... I would have understood!" - Scion

Have you removed Asus ROG/GameFirst yet?
Thanks Max,

wise words were spoken ;)

I totally get you. And it's not that i am defending D3 by any means. I could have been the most disappointed guy when D3 vanilla came out. It was a nightmare. A total disaster. But now, with RoS online and some changes made in the recent time, the game is good. It is no "Best of the best" game at all. But POE isn't either. I don't want to fight people who say D3 is bad. It's their "arguments" that let my temper boil (to no good in most cases). Just because i believe this mindset ("shoot it! KIll it with fire!") is just devastating in terms of gaming, gaming-culture and culture in general. This "discussions" always begin and end like discussions between soccer-fans or fans of different sports: Often with a half-true statement (like OP, that changed during the thread's chronic, but in the beginning it was just a misleading, half-true statement), after that: battle. With damage dealt only to the guys debating and the resume of the sports. I have never seen that soccer gets better when a football fan says that football is the better sport ;) (or make an experiment: ask two die-hard soccer-fans who is better: Christiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi)

@Wicked: You always say D3 does not follow D2's legacy and POE does. What about this: Maybe D3 shouldn't be the successor at all? You take something for granted that maybe is not correct at all. What about this: D3 is D3. POE is POE. And D2 is D2. Or was D2 a true successor to D1? Nah. It did feel like a completely different and new game. That - by the way - is how i see it. D2 has no successor. Not one worthy one. I could explain why i don't see POE as a successor at all, but this would take too much space, i guess ;)

Anyways: I would be so glad if this comparisons vanish from this forum. POE does not need it. Neither does D3. It's all good. Two good games for different types of gamers. Or both. Nice. Win-win. What is the fucking problem?

Last edited by ghamadvar on Apr 27, 2015, 10:17:37 AM

"
Anyways: I would be so glad if this comparisons vanish from this forum. POE does not need it. Neither does D3. It's all good. Two good games for different types of gamers. Or both. Nice. Win-win. What is the fucking problem?

Ghamadvar just shut it down.

Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
I hope so ;)
"
ghamadvar wrote:
Thanks Max,

@Wicked: You always say D3 does not follow D2's legacy and POE does. What about this: Maybe D3 shouldn't be the successor at all? You take something for granted that maybe is not correct at all. What about this: D3 is D3. POE is POE. And D2 is D2. Or was D2 a true successor to D1? Nah. It did feel like a completely different and new game. That - by the way - is how i see it. D2 has no successor. Not one worthy one. I could explain why i don't see POE as a successor at all, but this would take too much space, i guess ;)

Sequels will always be compared with its predecessors. A big reason why they make a sequal is because its already known by a crowd. But that also means people have more expectations.
Take the Star Wars prequels for example, they are far from the worst Sci-fi movies out there. Still they are a part of the Star Wars universe and where extreamly hyped. When they failed to live up to that, alot of people got dissapointed. This is how i feel about D3.

I dissagree i think Diablo 2 feels like a true successor to the first Diablo. A true sucessor doesn't mean it have to be exactly like the first game.
Its a common missconception that people dislike D3 only because it was different. Like you said D2 was very different from D1, yet overall most people liked D2.
Diablo 2 introduced more open and varied levels, a talent tree, crafting, better loot, better multiplayer support, PvP, much more monster variety, ladder...the list goes on.
Even though I love the first Diablo there is no denying D2 was a hugh improvement on it, even if there where some totaly new locations you visited, it still felt like a Diablo game.

In Diablo 3s case, even though it came over 10 years after, it managed to introduce very little new. And especially at launch the game was in a pretty bad state, lacking many features that made its predessor great. On top of that the Cartoony graphics and the dialogue didn't feel like a Diablo game. Or atleast thats what i think...

Last edited by WickedSausage on Apr 27, 2015, 5:38:05 PM
See? NOW we are talking ;)
I totally get you. And - tatatataaaa - i believe that we feel the same way about D3 regarding improvement, optimisation and so on. Especially D3 vanilla. BUT: Still there seems to be no reason for me to compare POE with D3. Maybe D3 failed to be a true successor to D2. As did POE fail (in a better way, because it went some new paths^^). So what? Still: D3 and POE are great games. Imagine all the casuals of D3 coming to POE because there is no D3. Imagine all the so called hardcores coming to D3 because there is no POE: This would be bad. This would cause big bad turmoil. Now: We have two games. Two game sthat perfectly fulfill the expectations of their fans. And sometimes the expectations of fans in general. I love playing D3. I love playing POE. And that's it. And i believe that you feel the same way but different: You love playing POE. You hate playing D3. Fine. Let's meet in Wraeclast then. We can have a great time. Ain't that awesome? And all the time, D3 plays no role in our gaming bromance ;) THat's what i mean: The steady, aggressive agenda against D3 in this forum does not help POE and it is devastating to some gamers who play both games. Reading in this forums, i (as a D3-Player) was called "casual, sheep, idiot, fanboy" and what not.

So, if you want to compare games (it was you, i believe, who said that games get compared all the time), compare POE to Titan Quest or D2. But why compare it to D3? D3 did not hit the nail for you. Fine. I get it. But what you do - in my opinion - is like saying: "Tennis is not as hard and thrilling as Rugby". Yeah. True. But totally irrelevant ;)
Last edited by ghamadvar on Apr 27, 2015, 6:26:33 PM
Teh missus and I were long-time fans of Diablo and D2, so were were extremely hyped about D3. I followed all the coverage of D3's development as it became available, and, as it evolved toward what it ended up being, I found myself among the disappointed. Fortunately, a couple of the YouTubers I was following for D3 coverage also dipped their toes into the early days of PoE, and in that way, i found this great game.

So, I owe my appreciation for PoE to the Diablo series, including D3 for steering me here. =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
You sir are the gandalf of d3 vs. POE threads.
I bow. I go. Because all is said and done.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info