Freeze pulse and the shotgun change

"
Diphal wrote:
I'm not arguying about numbers since I'm pretty sure they will be kinda fine.

I'm arguying about GGG's statement that they dont want LMP/GMP to be mandatory gem. It's not even clsoe to be optional, even withou shotgun mechanic. Especially for Incinerate.

DPS is not the issue, aoe coverage is.

Well but thats something different. Right now it is mandatory for every projectile spell (well except burning fireball, if that even is a thing). This doesn't mean that it wouldn't be super powerful on certain skills.
"
Diphal wrote:
I'm not arguying about numbers since I'm pretty sure they will be kinda fine.

I'm arguying about GGG's statement that they dont want LMP/GMP to be mandatory gem. It's not even clsoe to be optional, even withou shotgun mechanic. Especially for Incinerate.

DPS is not the issue, aoe coverage is.

Just look at how ST plays out right now. Most people will use at least LMP for coverage. But it's an obvious damage loss for single target. So can switch it out for something else when you want to be stronger vs bosses, or run a different skill for single target, like Double Strike. The same will work with Incinerate and FP and it is a desirable result over the current state. It makes you think about what you value more: damage, coverage, gem slots for more supportive skills etc.

Those who only ever used xMP for aoe coverage, and not shotgunning, will in fact only see a massive buff.

"
Zed_ wrote:
Those who only ever used xMP for aoe coverage, and not shotgunning, will in fact only see a massive buff.

Like I said multiple times, I'm not arguying about dps. I know it will be kinda fine, maybe even better under some circumstances. I am saying that if GGG seriously want xMP to be optional and not mandatory, they should implement some kind of better aoe coverage into incinerate and perhaps even freezing pulse.

I dont want 10 more projectiles all around me... lets say 3 could be fine, maybe 4 with 21/x gem and Empower. xMP would still be option for even better coverage or would pair well with new unique staff (projectiles in a nova).

xMP is still mandatory with Incinerate since nobody will ever use it with just one projectile. Its way too tiny to be efficient, even for bosses especially when they move around.

Gem slot with more options would be fine - (Empower, Point Blank - if they would change it to spells aswell since there is no reason to not allow it whne shotgun is gone, added damage, penetration etc).
Last edited by Diphal on Apr 26, 2015, 7:08:07 AM
"
Diphal wrote:
"
Zed_ wrote:

Like I said multiple times, I'm not arguying about dps. I know it will be kinda fine, maybe even better under some circumstances. I am saying that if GGG seriously want xMP to be optional and not mandatory, they should implement some kind of better aoe coverage into incinerate and perhaps even freezing pulse.

No one is saying that this isn't being considered already.
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
"
Diphal wrote:
"
Zed_ wrote:

So why is the base 1 projectile fine for ST and LA and Ice Shot and so on, and not for these spells? You skipped over that part.

"
Zed_ wrote:
"
Diphal wrote:
"
Zed_ wrote:

So why is the base 1 projectile fine for ST and LA and Ice Shot and so on, and not for these spells? You skipped over that part.

I haven't built around these abilities therefore I don't know how much mandatory xMP is in their case. I guess that ST for example can achieve way bigger aoe coverage since Incinerate is way shorter, cannot crit and, you have to channel it and stay on place and most importantly, it doesn't scale with weapon damage.

Anyway I didnt want to compare one spell to another. I just wanted to question GGG's statement that xMP shouldn't be mandatory anymore since shotgunning is gone. It's nonsense since it wasnt used just for the DPS. At least in case of Incinerate. I wont be able to switch it with another gems... Period.
IMHO, it was never about making L/GMP "not mandatory," but rather that they be used to enhance your AoE coverage.

Not to enhance your AoE coverage and single target potential.

For the latter, L/GMP occupied too strong of a position to, possibly, design other single target options. You can easily see how it has impacted design decisions already, e.g., Flame Surge, arguably the most single target spell in the game (by design if not in execution).

But back to the original point, the /MPs will occupy a clearly defined role now, which imparts some degree of decision making unto the player. In many cases, the decision may be just as easy to make, but even then the /MPs will not consume all potential socket use--and that was the point.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info