Unrighteous Fire, Mirror Strike, and Others

Unrighteous Fire: Can only be acquired by corrupting a Righteous Fire gem. Very, very slim chance of successful corruption. Unrighteous Fire burns nearby enemies for Fire damage per second equal to 70% of your Maximum Mana. Your Mana depletes at the same rate.

Mirror Strike: Requires a Melee Weapon. A successful hit produces a clone that uses your melee weapon(s) at 25% effectiveness. The clone has 1 Health and explodes for 10% of the damage dealt to it in an AoE.

Intercept: Support Gem: 135% Multiplier. Supported skills have a 30% chance to Root on hit, Root duration is based on the enemy's Stun Threshold.

Backtrack: Movement: Do a backflip away from the mouse to the edge of the AoE, gaining 20% Dodge and 10% Spell Dodge during the movement. Enemies do not block movement during the backflip.

Meditate: Spell: Drains Mana to increase Health regeneration dramatically during the Channel. Has a 5 second Cooldown.
*You call into the void. You hear a sound in the distance.*
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
"
Natharias wrote:

Yeah, because you can't have variable outcomes when corrupting an item. Your post was kinda pointless. -.-
"
Felix35071 wrote:
"
Natharias wrote:

Yeah, because you can't have variable outcomes when corrupting an item. Your post was kinda pointless. -.-

So there's no problem with having five different corrupt options for one skill, and only two options for all other skills that have yet to get a Vaal variant?

Just because you miss the point doesn't mean something is pointless.
unrighteous fire would be ridiculously OP. it's super easy to get a massive mana pool and regen.

intercept: basically a weaker stun -- even uses the same mechanic. that said, the basic idea of a rooting skill is intriguing.

meditate: coc/codt means nope. mom, those mana drining flasks, regen aura, etc more or less fulfill the role anyway.

the other two are interesting ideas.
IGN Stuns_McNutshot | Ichimans_McIchimans | Balls_McCritterson
"
tsftd wrote:
unrighteous fire would be ridiculously OP. it's super easy to get a massive mana pool and regen.

intercept: basically a weaker stun -- even uses the same mechanic. that said, the basic idea of a rooting skill is intriguing.

meditate: coc/codt means nope. mom, those mana drining flasks, regen aura, etc more or less fulfill the role anyway.

the other two are interesting ideas.

Thanks for actual input, I appreciate it.

Unrighteous Fire is meant to be powerful, and extremely hard to get. Maybe you'd have reduced resists during the effect? It also wouldn't boost spell damage like RF does.
And with the change to EB it would be less overpowered.

I couldn't think of an uncomplicated method of proccing Intercept, but wanted a Root effect. Enemies could still melee you if you're within range, and use ranged abilities and spells, they just couldn't move. It's effectively a damage free bear trap.
Maybe it'd just be a chance on hit?

Meditate is just something I'd like for those cases when you're in a map with empty flasks and top-down regeneration to be effective. Primarily for solo play, but it's not something I expect to be added.

Yeah I want a melee summoner to be viable outside of Dominating Blow or CoC/CoMK skellies. The numbers on both Mirror Strike and Backtrack would need to be adjusted obviously.
"
Natharias wrote:
"
Felix35071 wrote:
"
Natharias wrote:

So there's no problem with having five different corrupt options for one skill, and only two options for all other skills that have yet to get a Vaal variant?

-- actually, there is precedence for this with uniques. there are several base types with multiple uniques despite the fact that GGG has stated an unfulfilled desire to have a unique for each base type.

Felix:
np, i like game theory and interesting ideas ;p

as for unrighteous fire, I'll say that I am not a believer in balance-via-rarity. granted, you need more and less rare items, and rarer ones tend to be more powerful (for obvious reasons), but I believe that rarity should always come after design is done. I think that if you essentially say "Oh, it's too OP? That's fine, we'll just make it super rare" you're failing at design. For one thing, taken to the extreme there's no reason not to have a 1 million DPS weapon, so long as it's super ultra rare. That being said, I'll admit that that's my personal opinion, and many a better designer may disagree with me on it.

also, you'd really need to make it not be stackable with RF -- RF is already one of the strongest, cheapest, easiest builds out there, and it's already getting a pretty big buff in 2.0.

honestly, the biggest issue that i have with URF is that (compared to RF) the drawback is too minor, and too easy to avoid. technically, you can balance massive pools through tweaking the numbers, but unless there's some drawback, it's too easy for it to become "free" damage. perhaps add that 10% of the damage also hits life? this gives a drawback and caps mana pools with life regen -- it basically makes it a alternate flavor of RF (say, a palette swap rather than a skin swap).

personally, I'd make it a flat % or perhaps tie it to accuracy (root% = hit% for each monster) -- obviously with a different roll, though (and ignoring "can't be evaded" -- it would calculate what the hit% would be without it, and use that). as for duration, I'd suggest something that makes it unique from other status effects (especially given its similarity to stun).

perhaps a flat 2 (or 3, etc) second duration, BUT either:

1) after it wears off, the mobs are immune to it for 2 (or 1, etc) second.
2) each subsequent applicatio on the same mob has its duration reduced by some percentage (50%?) -- e.g. root 1=2 sec, root 2=1 sec, root 3=.5 sec, etc.

both of those make it unique, and prevent rootlock (which could be OP).

as for meditate, perhaps redesign it as a vaal vitality? vaal disc has already set the precedent for something like this.
Last edited by tsftd on Apr 20, 2015, 2:26:47 AM
"
tsftd wrote:
-- actually, there is precedence for this with uniques. there are several base types with multiple uniques despite the fact that GGG has stated an unfulfilled desire to have a unique for each base type.

But there is a huge difference between uniques and gems. It is very easy to get enough gems and vaal orbs and then get at least one outcome that you want, than it is to farm any boss for the unique you want.

It doesn't matter if all the uniques we have are weapons and rings; they can be used for the builds that base themselves around them. No build, at least that I know of, bases itself on a single gem. Let alone a gem that can only be used for less than half of the game's content.

So what does it matter if there is an imbalance in what types of uniques we have? It doesn't.

Anyone can easily acquire a desired vaal gem. You can either farm corrupt areas and easily begin getting enough currency from stuff you vendor, or trade quality/leveled/desireable gems for the one you want. Vaal gems don't cost that much, and in temporary leagues their prices drop quite quickly from what I remember.
"
Natharias wrote:
"
tsftd wrote:

But there is a huge difference between uniques and gems. It is very easy to get enough gems and vaal orbs and then get at least one outcome that you want, than it is to farm any boss for the unique you want.

It doesn't matter if all the uniques we have are weapons and rings; they can be used for the builds that base themselves around them. No build, at least that I know of, bases itself on a single gem. Let alone a gem that can only be used for less than half of the game's content.

So what does it matter if there is an imbalance in what types of uniques we have? It doesn't.

Anyone can easily acquire a desired vaal gem. You can either farm corrupt areas and easily begin getting enough currency from stuff you vendor, or trade quality/leveled/desireable gems for the one you want. Vaal gems don't cost that much, and in temporary leagues their prices drop quite quickly from what I remember.

what does this have to do with your post "So there's no problem with having five different corrupt options for one skill, and only two options for all other skills that have yet to get a Vaal variant?"?

first you complain that we shouldn't have 2 corruptable results for 1 gem. then you say that it's easy to acquire even if there are 2 variants. and I have no clue what you're talking about with the whole "no build based on a single gem" -- nobody said anything about doing that, and either you're not being literal (as in a single gem in a socket in all of the gear, and nothing else), which yeah, nobody has a build like that, or you're ignoring the fact that the vast majority of builds rely primarily on a single gem (e.g. incinerate is kind of important for an incinerate build).
"
tsftd wrote:
what does this have to do with your post "So there's no problem with having five different corrupt options for one skill, and only two options for all other skills that have yet to get a Vaal variant?"?

How about reading the post in its context?

"
Natharias wrote:
"
Felix35071 wrote:
"
Natharias wrote:

I tell Felix that there's no real point in adding another corrupt gem variant for Righteous Fire, since it already has one and most other skill gems do not yet have a vaal variant. By saying this, I'm saying it is not likely we'll see this suggestion impelemented. I say nothing about the suggestion's balance or any other aspects of it.

I simply imply there's no real point in going into detail about it.

He then says my post was pointless and I then point out everything I've said twice now. He missed the point, and so have you since you didn't read it.

"
tsftd wrote:
first you complain that we shouldn't have 2 corruptable results for 1 gem. then you say that it's easy to acquire even if there are 2 variants.

It's obvious you're either missing the point or twisting my words. I said that there is no point in having five variations of a gem when other gems have only two or three variants.

After you bring up uniques, which you had no reason to do so, I point out how different gems and uniques are. It is much easier to corrupt a few gems and get the desired outcome than it is to chance or farm for a unique. I go into detail why uniques and gems are too different to compare them.

Again, no build that I know of is made or broken because of a single gem, and no build is based on any single gem. Yet there are plenty of builds that are made or broken or based on a single item. Shavronne's Wrappings is a very good example.

"
tsftd wrote:
and I have no clue what you're talking about with the whole "no build based on a single gem" -- nobody said anything about doing that, and either you're not being literal (as in a single gem in a socket in all of the gear, and nothing else), which yeah, nobody has a build like that, or you're ignoring the fact that the vast majority of builds rely primarily on a single gem (e.g. incinerate is kind of important for an incinerate build).

So Incinerate builds only have Incinerate? They don't use auras to mitigate or enhance damage? Curses to mitigate or enhance damage? Immortal Call or Enduring Cry to deal with physical damage? They don't use their other items?

You say you don't get the point yet seem like you do. I'm talking about a single gem, quite literally. I don't understand how you can't understand anything I'm saying. I suggest you use your native language and get someone to translate for you.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info