What is the Ultimate Goal of a Self Found Player?

"
What is the Ultimate Goal of a Self Found Player?

finally drop a Mirror, open a shop to pay the mirror fee, and mirror 500 pdps dagger to replace his shitty 180 pdps one.
IGN TylordRampage
To pvp.
"
I don't understand why people enjoy different things than I do, so I'm going to make a passive aggressive post about your playstyle :)

I loled all over my keyboard

Getting the best stuff makes any game boring. So I just try to prolong the struggle.
"
kazegenso wrote:

My goal is merely to come up with a build that is fun to play. That's it. I'll play it until I get stuck or it gets boring, or I find that the original concept doesn't work. I enjoy finding Uniques and build enabling Rares, and will often times dream up new builds to try out with the new stuff I find, and likely abandon my current character to go off and build a new one.

I know enough about the game to understand why most of my builds get stuck, but by that point I either can't respec it enough to fix it, or the concept just didn't pan out the way I had intended it (CoMK Frost Nova linked to Glacial Hammer, for example).

+1
Another mostly seffound player here. I do twink between chars though, all the time, because a sword and board mara don't need no Sidhebreath, but then I can make a summoner ;-). This also why I've finally migrated to Standard. I don't trade, what do I care about the economuh? I mostly play solo, so never mind people in full legacy gear. What I do have is time to build chars, and access to whatever stuff I've accumulated over the time.
I like building whatever char I feel like, and see how far it can get without hitting up the mall.

"
I don't understand why people enjoy different things than I do, so I'm going to make a passive aggressive post about your playstyle :)

lol
"Imagining GGG as a cranky hormonal pregnant woman suddenly explains a lot." - CliveHowlitzer
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
A self-found player with goals like yours would plan it for their 10th or 15th character. They wouldn't start planning it until they had the bulk of the gear needed in hand.

You don't just start a character and plan on it being awesome. You play a character that will improve your chances with the next.

Be your own economy, today! Lel.

While I admire the idea of collecting all of your own stuff, I find it silly in terms of time. I'd simply never be able to get any of my builds complete, because it would need 10-15 characters to get all the gear. Not to mention challenge leagues. I simply don't have time for this, so I'm just trading stuff my build does not need for stuff my build does need.

But I find sentences like this silly/annoying:
"
But if you ask me what it the appeal of SF play, I'd say that its the challenge to overcome the game with the cards you are dealt, instead of cherry picking exact items from off-the-shelve.

It always sounds like you are GIVEN the items. That when you are trading, you are somehow getting something for nothing, without doing anything, and using no skills.
Ignore the knowledge that someone might have over many different builds that might need very specific gear, thus being able to sell them (instead of vendoring), to get your own stuff. We are GIVEN the freebies, just because we chose to trade. :/
I do respect people who chose to play self-found, and "enjoy the journey" (that one guy, with the thread, where he writes all the stuff he does - absolute great stuff), but at the same time I can't stand people, who spew stupid shit like "cherry picking exact items from off-the-shelve.". Trading requires skill, knowledge and time, and I like to trade. Our success is as good as any other self-founder (yes, as good - not better). And if you continue on saying stuff like that, I'll continue on mocking self-founders like yourself.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
"
Perq wrote:
Trading requires skill, knowledge and time, and I like to trade.

But gearing up through trading is as easy as doing a querry on poe.trade. Pick exact items off the shelve.

Accumulating wealth through trading is piss easy, set up a shop with proper b/o and wait (I've traded a lot in Rampage). The (itemization) knowledge that trading requires is exactly the same (general game) knowledge that you need to gear up your chars - if you know what's good for your chars, you know what is good to sell.

It does require time to 'scan the market' and know prices, bicker about prices and haggle with morons, but it's still 100x times faster to accumulte wealth through trade than through looting.

As I said, I dont particulary prefer either extreme. PoE is obviously designed to be a trading game, so SF play can be very limiting to outright impossible (endgame crafting). otoh, trading trivializes the game way too much and buying exact things from the market gives (me personaly) zero "looting pleasure".
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Mar 31, 2015, 9:30:02 AM
"
BearCares wrote:
"

You have no idea how much I had to restrain myself ;)

It's an achievement that I even managed to remained "passive" in my aggression.

But...I appreciate the input that tried to explain it. And hopefully I won't have to experience this wanton hysterical rage if ever I happen to see another self-found and looking for help thread.

I am really getting some passive agression when i see players that don´t even have a SINGLE lvl 85 or higher Char, speaking like they are the most knowledgeable person in this game and trashing on others that may even be a lot better at this game while playing it a harder way.

Rly, get gud, stop thinking you are sooo smart because you play gimicky builds.
Current Builds:
All in one Thread until i make new Guides
poeurl.com/c4vT
Last edited by ZweihundertMorder on Mar 31, 2015, 9:57:20 AM
"

I am really getting some passive agression when i see players that don´t even have a SINGLE lvl 85 or higher Char, speaking like they are the most knowledgeable person in this game and trashing on others that may even be a lot better at this game while playing it a harder way.

Rly, get gud, stop thinking you are sooo smart because you play gimicky builds.

Sheesh, I barely ever lvl past 81-82. Yes sir, working on getting gud!

Edit: dem quotes!
Last edited by BackwoodsS on Mar 31, 2015, 10:10:35 AM
"
morbo wrote:
"
Perq wrote:
Trading requires skill, knowledge and time, and I like to trade.

But gearing up through trading is as easy as doing a querry on poe.trade. Pick exact items off the shelve.

Accumulating wealth through trading is piss easy, set up a shop with proper b/o and wait (I've traded a lot in Rampage). The (itemization) knowledge that trading requires is exactly the same (general game) knowledge that you need to gear up your chars - if you know what's good for your chars, you know what is good to sell.

It does require time to 'scan the market' and know prices, bicker about prices and haggle with morons, but it's still 100x times faster to accumulte wealth through trade than through looting.

As I said, I dont particulary prefer either extreme. PoE is obviously designed to be a trading game, so SF play can be very limiting to outright impossible (endgame crafting). otoh, trading trivializes the game way too much and buying exact things from the market gives (me personaly) zero "looting pleasure".

I'd rather try and progress to 78 maps, rather than farming docks, cuz I lack basic eq to begin mapping. It is faster, but it is not "trivial". You know how to do it, I know how to do it, but it is not trivial to most people, who do not know how to trade.
And no, gearing up through trading is not as easy as doing query on poe.trade. Same thing, again, and again. You need something to trade with. You can't sell - you can't buy.
And to be honest, the thing you said earlier - "I'd say that its the challenge to overcome the game with the cards you are dealt" applies to trade too - you either know what you can do with the drops, or you do not, and vendor them.
Just a simple example - a thread were people were saying that they never find stuff that is worth anything. In 6 days of 1msc I found an exalt, CoD (sold for 2ex), and 3-5 items that were sold for 20c+. See? It was obvious to me, and vendor trash for other people. It was trivial to you, but that does not mean it was trivial for everyone.
Following that logic, we can say that game is trivial in general, because 99% of game content can be done without trying all that much. It is true for me, it is true for you (I assume), but many people have problems getting past level 60. Is PoE a trivial game then? Maybe if you played 2+ years of it ;).
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
"
Jojas wrote:
Nothing is 'wrong' with procurement. It is just that it's all so businesslike. Most people have no problem with that but for me this has no place in a game like this, even if so much in PoE is all about trading.

I feel it the other way around: take trading as a kind of 'different, coexisting addition' (NOT part!) of the game aside playing it - doesnt it seem logical then that its tried to be taken as efficient (=businesslike) as possible, just to NOT interfer/interrupt with playing as much as possible?

ontopic:
If one really relies on SSF, the "main" goal IMHO is just to LEARN and to become better with the chosen build(s). The 'ultimate goal' is obviously to own one of each of the rarest items...

but the real goal is just to have fun.
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info