PC servers are restarting now. They should be back up in approximately .

What is the Ultimate Goal of a Self Found Player?

"
I don't understand why people enjoy different things than I do, so I'm going to make a passive aggressive post about your playstyle :)

You have no idea how much I had to restrain myself ;)

It's an achievement that I even managed to remained "passive" in my aggression.

But...I appreciate the input that tried to explain it. And hopefully I won't have to experience this wanton hysterical rage if ever I happen to see another self-found and looking for help thread.
"
Auxion wrote:
What is the ultimate goal of a copy'n'paste cookie cutter player?
Now this I'd really like to know, also. =D
That weird self found player who doesn't aim for any build? Yeah that's me, hi.
Self-Found No-Death No-Log Merciless Dom; hell yeah! Now will I ever do it in HC...? Oh dear.
P.S. Please delete Magnus and all Devourers.
To have fun and enjoy the game. That's my goal anyway.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Dr Who (Tom Baker, 1976).
"
BearCares wrote:
"
I don't understand why people enjoy different things than I do, so I'm going to make a passive aggressive post about your playstyle :)

You have no idea how much I had to restrain myself ;)

It's an achievement that I even managed to remained "passive" in my aggression.

But...I appreciate the input that tried to explain it. And hopefully I won't have to experience this wanton hysterical rage if ever I happen to see another self-found and looking for help thread.

I feel the same way about Twitch.tv - I don't know how people enjoy it. But hey, not I am not exactly the target audience :)

SSF would drive me bonkers, I think - mostly juggling the resistances would infuriate me, probably enough to limit the fun I would have from doing it solo. In saying that, I trade very rarely once my first character in a league is finished.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
"
CajNatalie wrote:
"
Auxion wrote:
What is the ultimate goal of a copy'n'paste cookie cutter player?
Now this I'd really like to know, also. =D

This I can answer - kill stuff to get stuff to build stuff to kill stuff. Once the league ends? Start the cycle again! Rawr.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
My main motivation to play self-found is that I do not want to nor I'm interested in interaction with other players. I had my fair share of MMO games in the past that lead me to realization that humans are plague for my enjoyment of a game. I also do not want to spend my limited time by selling my stuff, which is anyway useless junk most of the time nor I want to buy from other because I have little knowledge of the market to avoid burning my currency. I might eventually buy some build-enabling uniques that did not drop for me. I would not buy Lioneye's Glare becuase it is just high-DPS weapon but I intended to buy Rise of the Phoenix for my RF/Incinerate build in near future.

How far I can get with my self-found character is also partial motivation for me.

Self-found players wont be creating characters and builds right off the bat when they join the game. I got my first static strike 1-button-pressing scion to high enough level to farm mid-tier maps for decent gear and grab any currency I can.

My next character, which is now postponed due to 1-month league, is a budget RF/Incinerate Atziri killer to further improve my gearing potential. I decided to go for budget reliable build. Some time after I started slowly leveling my new toon, I found Rise of the Phoenix shield, which obviously made me very happy and motivated :) (until 1-month league started).

Last stage for me would be the ultimate character and build that would allow me to clear end-game maps. I'm not yet there, both build design and acquired gear wise.

Most importantly, by playing self-found and solo, I play at my own terms, my own frequency and pick only the best cherries from the lot. I also very well understand that I will probably never reach wealth and power of players that play in groups, or guilds, and who actively trade. I'm fine with that too.
You're massively magnifying the difficulties of playing self-found. The game is not so spectacularly hard (especially with Masters to fill in resistance holes and the like) that you NEED to trade.

If I get a halfway decent drop that interests me for another build I'll roll that up for a while. I still get to play with whatever is overpowered at the time, then I change to something else.

Its not a big deal.

If found a half decent bow (traders will lol and say I'd be lucky to get x chos for it, but it lets me demolish content so I can't see the need to trade for better), I rolled my first ranger and briskly got up to 76+ maps. That was entertaining enough for a couple of months.

"
What is the Ultimate Goal of a Self Found Player?

The answer to thread title is the same as for trading players: progression

But if you ask me what it the appeal of SF play, I'd say that its the challenge to overcome the game with the cards you are dealt, instead of cherry picking exact items from off-the-shelve.

Ofc, sometimes the game will not give you basic stuff you need (gems, flasks...), at this point I don't see a problem in taking a sip of that sweet sweet instant gratification nectar... :P

I've done leagues completely SF and leagues where I was trading on daily basis, depending on 'seasonal mood'. I'm not a strict advocate of either, tho I strongly prefer to loot my own stuff. Do what gives you fun.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Mar 30, 2015, 8:50:06 AM
A while ago i set out to kill Atziri with a self found character. No twinking with gear out of my stash found with a MF character. No loot bonus from partying. Every orb used in crafting, every gem, every piece of gear found by the character using it.

That was the challenge. And I did everything short of Uber Atziri with it.

Now i usually trade just enough to make my life easier, if RNGesus decides to give me a too hard time.

Heres my feelings on the matter.

Playing ssfc (solo self found character) brought to the fore the narrative of struggle against the odds in a harsh world of scarcity. The very narrative that PoE was sold on way back in CB.

To me, thats the "Ultimate Goal" of self found: to play the narrative of struggle, rather than the narrative of "power in the easiest way possible"

B.
The Preceding message contains discretion.
Viewer nudity is advised.
I am a (mostly) self found player. Though I have traded a few items with my real life friends, I no longer use them. I've put in over 400 combined hours on this game. If you check my profile, my highest level character is 53, and I finally managed to reach Merciless for the first time rather recently. I either get bored of a character before it makes it that far, or it becomes impossible to continue it because of gear or build limitations.

My goal is merely to come up with a build that is fun to play. That's it. I'll play it until I get stuck or it gets boring, or I find that the original concept doesn't work. I enjoy finding Uniques and build enabling Rares, and will often times dream up new builds to try out with the new stuff I find, and likely abandon my current character to go off and build a new one.

I know enough about the game to understand why most of my builds get stuck, but by that point I either can't respec it enough to fix it, or the concept just didn't pan out the way I had intended it (CoMK Frost Nova linked to Glacial Hammer, for example).

I've seen Trade Chat in standard. You can't get word in edgewise, and nobody listens to anybody. I also don't like playing with strangers, so I just play by myself. Back when I used to play D1 and D2, I never had a Bnet account (mostly due to not having any internet back in the day), so I always just played solo. Same with TQ, TL1, and TL2.
Last edited by kazegenso on Mar 30, 2015, 10:19:05 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info