Fresh lvl 60 witch - need help

Hi,

im new to the game, hit first lvl 60 with witch. (wanna build cold snap x3, so passive tree is pointing to resolute technique (now standing right in front of it), also battery already taken.

Now.
I played regulary through the game, and current stats are following:
- Act2 , mercilles
- 1300 HP without energy shield (ye its total glass, but it was needed to hold the setup for endgame cold snap tree
- DPS from freezing pulse shows in profile 1200 DPS (seems to small, isnt it ?)

Yes i know game mechanics, linking, etc etc.

I have one mandatory thing, for the build, and thats ROMIRA RING (currently it cost 2ex+, which i definetly dont have, im at 1C 0ex atm.
1)How to obtain this ring ?

Now i need advice how to change the setup to reach freeze. currently 2x 1H wands.
2) should i switch to 5L/6L staff ?

I foundout red and green 6 socket armor, ofc not inteligence. So curretnly only 4L.
3) should i change it ?

4) should i continue to play with freezíng pulse, or switch to cold snap setups ?

5) what do you recommend at first place ?

6) should i finish merciless, no mather of gaining another levels ?

thx.

120$ ARCTIC SUPPORTER
Black cat, Arctic portal, Arctic skull hatred, Arctic footprints, 2x Arctic Weapon, 20 skins, +3 tab
HI there,

youve gone for a very fun yet niche and probably one of the more "complicated" builds to achieve.
I like your ambitions! ;)

Here is a recent thread where you might find useful input on endless cold snapping:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1214931

My Cold Snapper si at lvl 82 right now and ist not very optimized atm, since I respecced without enough respec points etc. but nevertheless, here is the current tree:

And here is my current also not very optimized gear:
Spoiler

You wont be able to get a 6 linked Pledge of hands for some time, but the build should be working with about every Wand/Sceptre & Shield Combo just fine.
Examples:

And there should be alot of cheap wands/sceptres or even self found stuff that beats these examples by alot ^^
I like the Rathpith option since it boosts your survivability and soenst have crit (which you dont want)

For a 4-link setup Id go with: CS + FC + Conetrated Effect + Increased AoE probably.

If you stack enough AoE i find Ele Prolif to be rather worthless.

Whatever you do get a Purity of Ice, you will need the max cold resistance to not one shot yourself.
Also work on your general survivability, 1300HP is nothing.
My Coldsnapper has ~4000 and it feels squishy. When endles coldsnapping most stuff is frozen al the time but when hits get through or you encounter reflect mobs you will need more life.

Maybe post Tree and Gear for specific help.

As far as aquireing a romiras goes: I would continue using FP and CS in combination and try to farm something like Docks/Piety when youre comfotable with that and later on Dominus. Use the Chaos recipe and gather Alterations and other currency. Trading up currency for EX doesnt take too long and 2EX is pretty cheap it was more like 6EX a while ago.

regards

PS: BTW Im playing without RT atm since I didnt have the points for it. But the occasional crit where I lose charges is very rare. I would not spec into RT until you have your build together, since having crit will help your damage with FP (Which is more of a crit spell).
Last edited by derriesen on Mar 25, 2015, 6:48:48 AM
thank you for ideas. Well, the skill tree and my current HP are so, because im trying to follow this thread

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1042527

with modification on page 5, where a guy completed some missing parts for that build, and its working very well.

well, with 1 shoting yourself, you are true, its currently bigest problem with reflecting :))))

my current (leveling) setup is

the 2nd AA im not using as well as regular skeletons, just leveling the gems.
Currently using mana aura, cold damage aura, herald of ice, and basic AA (for fun you know)
Cold ressist aura, is leveled to 15, currently not using, but seeems its needed.

current skilltree

also poiting to Ghost reaver. (will get that around 68+ level)
double curses also taken.

current setup is 1500 mana with ES, 95 regenerating per second.
120$ ARCTIC SUPPORTER
Black cat, Arctic portal, Arctic skull hatred, Arctic footprints, 2x Arctic Weapon, 20 skins, +3 tab
Last edited by Armorpiercer on Mar 25, 2015, 7:27:21 AM
a lot of poeple using 2H Staff for freezers. so my question is, when to switch to 2H ?
120$ ARCTIC SUPPORTER
Holy moly, there is a lot going wrong here! ^^

Now Step by step:

1. Youre using Eldritch Battery, which turns your Energy Shield into Mana, which is good for sustaining your pool to keep casting.

However, you dont profit from the "health pool increase" from the shield itself, That is lost as an aditional defense option. Therefore Ghost reaver does absolutely nothing for you! Only take ghost reaver if your main health pool is actually ES AND youre actually having leech.

Conclusion: Keep EB, dont go GR, ES is a tricky not recomended beginners trap that needs alot of good gear to work properly.

2. You dont have any leech, note that only elemental leech and the gem life leech combined with the used skill will give you life leech for spells.

3. You only have life on one piece of gear. Thats horibly. Try to get it on every piece except your wand(s) as it is your primary defense.

4. Didnt look too deeply at your tree, but, it should sport about at least 150% increased life at lvl 70. Dealing damage is nice but dealing damage becomes impossible when dead ;)

5. Only thing boosting damage on wands for you will be: Cast speed, elemental daamge, Cold damage and spell damage. Added damage only applies to attacks with the given weapon.

6. Added damage from any other gear does also not apply to your spells. Get inc cold damage, spell damage, cast speed instead, but first and foremost LIFE and REsists!

7. Hatred adds cold damage to an ability based on its PHYSICAL damage, therefore not doing anything for you.

8. get reduced mana on all auras you want to use to actually be abel to run them.

9. Accuracy is not neede for spells

10. the physical damage on the wand increases the base damage of that wnad, which does nothing for spells.

11.The AMulet and the helmet do close to nothing for your build. Now that I take a closer look, actually none of the gear benefits your build except for resistances and mana maybe^^

12. Are your resistances capped (75%) because thats a amjor part of staying alive in merciless.

EDIT: 13: Two handed only makes sense if the staff is a Shiver, Pledge or a +3Cld gem staf and is linked. Its way more survivable and easy to gear with a wand plus shield.

EDIT2: 14: Use a shield it can gve you spell damage and some really needed survivability!

thats about everything I can spot right now.

regards

PS: feel free to try to contact me ingame for further advice ign: SirKnorpeldoktor
Last edited by derriesen on Mar 25, 2015, 7:27:47 AM
1) GR, but when my ES turns into mana pool, then GR is filling that pool, or ?
lets pretend i have LL gem equiped, its in my stash lvl 15, because currently dont have where to put it. but it will be in later setup.
so i thought GR will work with LL gem, and that will fill my mana pool faster.
correct or not ?

2) see 1)

3) ye newbie fail, but also this is what game gave me through leveling. will try to get new gear with HP then.

4) ye, i saw average is 4k, but dunno how to reach this currently.

5) wait. so physical damage on wands is wrong ? how ? i thought it will boost my whole DPS...

6) so again. if i have 2-28 lightning damage on rings, it doesnt do anything with spells ?
but its increasing profile DPS, or ?

7) but here i thought, if my weapons has physical damage, then hatred is working with it ?

8) already done

9)i know, not collecting those.

10) so again, for what is physical damage then on wands ? how to use it ?

11) luuuuuuuuuuuuuul, ye im playing this game 7 days..... so dunno much about it. (but i have 2000+ hrs in HC D3 if it counts :)

12) no all, but fire i have 90%

13) and 14) is shield needed ? i mean its standard......

120$ ARCTIC SUPPORTER
Last edited by Armorpiercer on Mar 25, 2015, 7:46:06 AM
1) GR, but when my ES turns into mana pool, then GR is filling that pool, or ?
lets pretend i have LL gem equiped, its in my stash lvl 15, because currently dont have where to put it. but it will be in later setup.
so i thought GR will work with LL gem, and that will fill my mana pool faster.
correct or not ?

Not correct.

2) see 1)

see 1

3) ye newbie fail, but also this is what game gave me through leveling. will try to get new gear with HP then.

good idea!

4) ye, i saw average is 4k, but dunno how to reach this currently.

about 50-60 life on each piece and 150% life on tree should do it.

5) wait. so physical damage on wands is wrong ? how ? i thought it will boost my whole DPS...

no, onnly if attacking with the wand. I see youre coming from d3^^

6) so again. if i have 2-28 lightning damage on rings, it doesnt do anything with spells ?
but its increasing profile DPS, or ?

same as above, added damge only applies to attacks if not stated specifically "... added to spells" thats waht makes herald of ice and thunder worthwile for spells.

7) but here i thought, if my weapons has physical damage, then hatred is working with it ?

Yeah, hatred is working with your physical daamge from your weapon but as stated only for attacks. take a closer look at the gems, they have tags. They will tell you what is efecting what and what applies etc. For most circumstances at least.
EDIT: Hatred will add cold damage to a spell that deals physical damage as the damage added is based on physical. So it will work with Etheral Knifes, Glacial Cascade and... ah thats pretty much it

8) already done

9)i know, not collecting those.

10) so again, for what is physical damage then on wands ? how to use it ?

attacking. Barrage, Power Siphon, Kinetic blast are attack skills that can be used with wands..

11) luuuuuuuuuuuuuul, ye im playing this game 7 days..... so dunno much about it. (but i have 2000+ hrs in HC D3 if it counts :)

12) no all, but fire i have 90%

get everything to 75% most stuff that kills you in merciless kills you because of elemental damage. Spells and projectiles especially and those are the skills that will get you even when not in mellee range.

13) and 14) is shield needed ? i mean its standard......

look at the shiled i poested its better than both your wands combined, not because of defense but because of offense and defense. Having a shield with resistancces can free up alot of stuff on other gear also.

answers in itallics,

regards
Last edited by derriesen on Mar 25, 2015, 8:09:20 AM
thanks. last question

is there any complete skill reset possbile in near future, or should i delete the hero, and start again from level 1 ?
120$ ARCTIC SUPPORTER
When act 4 is released in about a month or so, every character should get a total respec.

You get a lot of respec points from quests, 18 I think. So you can fix a lot of stuff allready. Main problem is the gear I think.

Also I wouldnt reccomend using skeletons, with a spelll totem maybe. When you dont commit to using minions they cant do much for you except distract for about a split second before they get obliterated.

based on your tree I changed a few nodes around:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMABAcI9BBYEQ8UsBZvF1QYaho4HRQfAiKBJy8snDCXMjQ5ijpYPAU9X0SrRtdMLUyzUlNVrlXGVkpYB1nzZp5qQ20ZcYVyqXgvfOWCEIIegpuD24hCjjyPRo-mkFWVBJeVl_SaO5uhnqGiAKyYrKqvm7FCvOrAGsBUwcXbC9-w4XPjauwY7DjvfPMR99f60g==

less clutter more streamlined. Still not optimal but should work a little better. Your tree wasnt THAT bad. just that having ES and Charge delay reduction doesnt do much for you in combination with EB.

regards
Last edited by derriesen on Mar 25, 2015, 8:17:42 AM
in a month... k. so ill keep this, i have 11 points already in refund, so that does something. and then recreate whole tree. 1 month is ok.

Gear, isnt a problem, because seems its all wrong, so every 3rd piece i finf now, will be better. .)))))

so teoreticly level 1 wand, with 12% spell and +40% spell damage, could be better, then level 59 wand, with +97% physical ? is this correct ?

you know i rly came from D3, and the fact, level 1 wand, could be better then leve 59 wand, is something NEW, this isnt working in D3 at all.......

still how can 2H staff benefit over 1H + shield lets say ?

120$ ARCTIC SUPPORTER

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info