I think I'm missing something about Poison arrow vs burn prolif mechanics

Right, no surprises here, devs do know what they're talking about. After a few tests with stage one flameblast and 70% chance to ignite made on that captain whatshisname in battlefront these are the numbers (in scaled segments of his health bar with first result used as baseline 100 points):

No concentrated effect:

With concentrated effect:

Now to test fireball.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Ok, something's indeed wrong with fireball, I assume they forgot to tag its effects as AoE because of all that nonsense with pierce - no pierce. The char I tested it with is perfectly clean of anything remotely related to projectiles, it's a templar that had a full respec left so the only thing he has is a bunch of elemental, AoE, burning damage and chance to ignite passives.

No concentrated effect:

With concentrated effect:

Yup, looks buggy all right, ripe for the bug report section. I suppose it slipped by the community because flameblast is the new crowd favorite for ignite builds.

So how does this work exactly with Fireball then? The initial damage isn't affected by Conc on the primary target but the explosion and the ignite is, even on the primary target?
Isn't this consistent with how Static Strike and Explosive Arrow works (except for the fact that the explosions also hit the attack target because of the delay)?

I think it's an oversight of some kind, when fireball explodes it's supposed to make an AoE centered on enemy. I noticed damage from hit does get affected by conc, which means ignite lacks AoE property most likely, which is a bug, it can't affect just one of them - it's both or nothing.

Well, I reported it, we'll see what will devs say.

"
raics wrote:
I think it's an oversight of some kind, when fireball explodes it's supposed to make an AoE centered on enemy. I noticed damage from hit does get affected by conc, which means ignite lacks AoE property most likely, which is a bug, it can't affect just one of them - it's both or nothing.

Well, I reported it, we'll see what will devs say.

Thanks for the bug discovery raics!
Last edited by H4NS on Mar 8, 2015, 1:14:36 PM
"
Yup, looks buggy all right, ripe for the bug report section. I suppose it slipped by the community because flameblast is the new crowd favorite for ignite builds.

Great test. It explains why there are 2 different results.

"
Ok, something's indeed wrong with fireball, I assume they forgot to tag its effects as AoE because of all that nonsense with pierce - no pierce.

Yeah. From a coding perspective, the way I see it, they probably have something like this:
Fireball hit function.
Support Gem check function. In this function it would check for all support gems. If it is Fork, Chain, or Pierce(if this triggers), then, Fireball does not do Area of Effect.
Fireball AoE Function.

The logical reasoning for that order is because there is something there that suppresses Fireball's AoE.
Well unfortunately, that also means it was possible for Elemental Proliferation to happen before the Fireball AoE.
Ok, I have another question, this time about Cold Snap traps and the like. The 1.2 patch made the following change:

"The Trap and Mine support gems now have multiplicative damage bonuses that are specific to traps and mines respectively."

Question is, do I receive the multiplicative Trap bonus on my ignite, similar to Conc. Effect, or only on my initial damage?
Thanks.

Bump.

Right, ignite inherits all properties related to the way initial damage was dealt, so trap damage will affect burning from ignite.

Thanks.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info