I think I'm missing something about Poison arrow vs burn prolif mechanics

I made a Poison Arrow Trap character a while ago, who had ~8.5k dps (5k tooltip + conc effect which doesn't show up).

Then I made a Fire Trap, ~5.5k average damage and 6x burn multiplier, so I expected the dps to be in the same ballpark.

But instead, the Fire Trap feels just so much faster I can't explain it by the numbers. I mean like 3 times faster, even negative resists wouldn't account for that, what am I missing here?

Last edited by Zed_ on Mar 3, 2015, 9:44:23 AM
Based on what you told me here poison arrow is doing 8.5k and fire trap is doing 33k so it is a lot faster.
Ignore tooltips, for the most part they're blatantly wrong, especially for traps.
"
j33bus wrote:
Based on what you told me here poison arrow is doing 8.5k and fire trap is doing 33k so it is a lot faster.

What? Base ignite damage is 20%/second so with 6x multiplier it would be 120% of 5.5k

Last edited by Zed_ on Mar 3, 2015, 10:33:39 AM
does the ignite come from crit? that would explain why the burn is so strong despite average tooltip value
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Mystery solved: ignite double dips from Conc. Effect when applied with an area spell.

"
Zed_ wrote:
Mystery solved: ignite double dips from Conc. Effect when applied with an area spell.

Stop spreading misinformation, Conc Effect Doesn't increase burn prolif damage.
IGN: Smegacore
"
battled wrote:

No, u!
It does increase the base burn damage, the prolifed value is the same however.

Quote from the wiki:

"The following modifiers will directly affect the damage of Ignite; note that some of these modifiers apply only to the Ignite whereas some may also apply to the skill that triggered it:

Area Damage modifiers if applied by an Area skill

... "

"
battled wrote:
"
Zed_ wrote:

It increases the initial damage, and the burn damage, you are however correct that it doesn't then also increase the prolif damage. But that's not what he was implying. I don't think the OP understand that conc increased the ignite damage of an aoe spell.
burn damage does not technically double dip from conc effect

first, ititial damage benefits from it
second, burn damage benefits from it too

so yeah, it is applied twice, but each time to different damage type
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Last edited by Ludvator on Mar 7, 2015, 2:16:23 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info