Are the prices of MTX's way too high?

Okay, i get that this game is free to play, but... theres one thing that bothers me...

MTX feels like a massive money grab in this game...

Most of the items in game look like utter crap, apart from a select few uniques, (all uniques should have 3d art by now, i mean, cmon, its been 2 year >_>) so, people resolve this by buying sets... which cost freaking 40 dollars... thats basically a full game right there... im not angel when it comes to MTX purchasing (i just spent 840 points on a few things) but the fact that you need to spend money to make you character atleast half good looking, AT END GAME, is kinda pathetic...

The way i see it is... either GGG's Art team (if it even exists anymore) is slacking off, or all of the team is working on act 4, which is both good, and bad

The good thing is, atleast act 4 will look okay.

The bad thing is, what about the current game and its updates? we arent getting anything decent when it comes to art apart from the alt art from these crappy races...

Cmon GGG... think with your heads, not your wallets, we get that this is the only source of income, but please, atleast lower the prices a bit, its getting ridiculous...
Twitch: twitch.tv/slayertip

Helping people with their builds, its somewhat a hobby, and a passion of mine, so don't be shy!

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1715639 <--- Build help forums thread thingy.
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
They would be too high if they aren't generating the maximum possible profit. We can't really know that, we lack the numbers. Selling stuff isn't about doing people a favour, it's about maximizing profit.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Okay, i get that this game is free to play, but... theres one thing that bothers me...

MTX feels like a massive money grab in this game...

Most of the items in game look like utter crap, apart from a select few uniques, (all uniques should have 3d art by now, i mean, cmon, its been 2 year >_>) so, people resolve this by buying sets... which cost freaking 40 dollars... thats basically a full game right there... im not angel when it comes to MTX purchasing (i just spent 840 points on a few things) but the fact that you need to spend money to make you character atleast half good looking, AT END GAME, is kinda pathetic...

The way i see it is... either GGG's Art team (if it even exists anymore) is slacking off, or all of the team is working on act 4, which is both good, and bad

The good thing is, atleast act 4 will look okay.

The bad thing is, what about the current game and its updates? we arent getting anything decent when it comes to art apart from the alt art from these crappy races...

Cmon GGG... think with your heads, not your wallets, we get that this is the only source of income, but please, atleast lower the prices a bit, its getting ridiculous...

You spent $500 on a grandmaster supporter set and you are complaining about the MTX prices? With 5k points what can't you afford?

It you specifically want 3d art for uniques, chest are very expensive to do, GGG has stated this before. While armor sets on the other hand aren't as bad and are useable outside of skin transfers.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
The MTX prices seem outrageously high, for a benevolent indie garage company... but, this model seem to work just fine, else they'd already change it.

In the end all you really need is stash tabs & skin transfer.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness

Gotta put food on the table somehow. And run servers. And development costs.
"You go on pretending that you own the universe,
And we'll all be here watching as you're falling down to Earth."
This topic is completely new. Thanks for bringing it up.
My Static Strike Marauder: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1211370
Our Map Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/339977/page/1

Avoid: BKR, apinkpwny
Last edited by Slamdancer on Feb 24, 2015, 5:45:33 AM
the marketing strategy ggg initially ran did work perfectly when they sold microtransactions as "support this game and show your support ingame": the more you supported, the better you look".
they made millions with that attitude during closed and open beta with a game wich was rather a promise than a functioning rich player experience.

changing that meta to "buy our microtransactions to show your real world whealth ingame" and on top of that introducing "sales" imo was a counter productive move which permanently provokes questions like op (rightfully) asks as well as it devalues existing player support by making signs of support (the microtransactions) only worth what you have to spend on it on "sales".
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Xavderion has it right. Without seeing GGG's financials, it's impossible to evaluate the 'correct' price of MTX. But that's not what the OP's addressing.

Now, given that in POE, MTX are cosmetic only (ok, so stash tabs are a thing, more on that later), whining about prices is equivalent to saying "That guy's financial epeen is larger than mine! Unfair!" Given that the OP has not 1, but 3 supporter packs, I'm at a bit of a loss at how much more of a pretty princess he wants to look like, but to each his own.

Regarding stash tabs, yes, they actually do provide an in-game benefit, however small. That said, if you've played the game for even a few hours, I submit that if you can possibly afford it, you absolutely should purchase at least a few, because GGG has provided more value to you than you to them.

If you legit can't afford a few dollars for stash tabs, than you should probably be quiet and just be happy that the game exists, and enjoy playing the COMPLETELY FREE game GGG has provided with absolutely no content gated behind $$$. GGG is, to my knowledge, unique in their 'ethical microtransactions' model, and it irritates me when people whine that it's still not good enough.
"Danger is like jello, there's always room for more."
http://www.twitch.tv/vejita00
Of course its free. If it was not free this game would have been dead long ago. Because to try it you have to buy it, but with the glory the PoE has throughout the internet that people say about desync, trading, drops, etc, there would be just a few who decided to try it anyway and buy it. But since its free you dont loose anything to try it out. If it was not free - forums would have been full of threads like *PoE doesnt worth its money*. But since its free I see alot of shut up posts like *PoE is free game, you should be thankfull to devs that allow you to play it free*. That was the only choice for them to not bury the game making it free
If I dont reply to you - I dont give a flying duck about your opinion

If you dont reply to me - I dont care either because I dont come back to see who replied to me
Last edited by The_Great_Alex on Feb 25, 2015, 4:33:13 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info