Cross League PvP char only instance/town [Straw Poll]

"
its funny to me, everyone thinks no one pvps because of gear barrier or pvp balance...I think these aspects make finding a build rewarding and getting the gear is rewarding. The problem with pvp is how segregated and anti social it is. newer players on their pvp only characters spamming trade in some of the dead leagues or the popular leagues where its even harder to trade because all the trade bots. Eventually u find someone that has the piece of gear you want but they want an assload for it. Trading in a pvp town would create an epicenter for like minded players to barter, show off goods, make teams, recruit and join guilds, and if it was linked to sarn arena you could go in and test freely and come back to town to change teams. Add pvp titles to solo and team pvp queues and I guarantee pvp would start to thrive.

Gear barrier is one thing, gearing alone with no one to help you while you are doomed to sit in your h/o is another.

A really simple idea would be to extend the area around sarn arena. Each of the gates into the sarn arena limit hostile actions outside, kinda like diablo 2 towns. Outside sarn arena would be vendors/masters stash/guildstash.

This is what PvP truly needs to take it to the next level if it is to ever be taken seriously and potentially become an esport. Imagine the implications of what this could spark!
"
its funny to me, everyone thinks no one pvps because of gear barrier or pvp balance...I think these aspects make finding a build rewarding and getting the gear is rewarding. The problem with pvp is how segregated and anti social it is. newer players on their pvp only characters spamming trade in some of the dead leagues or the popular leagues where its even harder to trade because all the trade bots. Eventually u find someone that has the piece of gear you want but they want an assload for it. Trading in a pvp town would create an epicenter for like minded players to barter, show off goods, make teams, recruit and join guilds, and if it was linked to sarn arena you could go in and test freely and come back to town to change teams. Add pvp titles to solo and team pvp queues and I guarantee pvp would start to thrive.

Gear barrier is one thing, gearing alone with no one to help you while you are doomed to sit in your h/o is another.

A really simple idea would be to extend the area around sarn arena. Each of the gates into the sarn arena limit hostile actions outside, kinda like diablo 2 towns. Outside sarn arena would be vendors/masters stash/guildstash.

+1 Great feedback!
Formerly Firebrand
_Thriller_
_Boomshakalaka_
almost to 100 yes votes. Thanks for voicing your opinions guys, keep it up. The main way anything gets attention is through large community support. If we can prove that this feature is sought after, GGG will investigate the technicalities hopefully!
I Stream PvP Twitch.tv/GrindcoreTHRALL
THE STORY OF MY Descent into the Abysmal Afterlife( HC to SC, too Stronk!)
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/346754
PK massacre, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldz09uBZ-ug
+1

Just imagine dedicated to pvp in-game vendor/shop in such town, where everyone can place his gear for sale. Prices will drop and pvp could become more beginners friendly. We need more ppl pvp'ing, such town can make more goodies for pvp then ladders/events :)
Thx again for taking the time to vote. I know it seems like it wont do much but slowly as we gain more votes and debate the ups and downs of this idea, the more apparent the demand for this feature becomes. I have not heard any logical reason for this feature to not exist. GGG has told me that its probably not worth the work. It might not be worth the work in the eyes of the PvE players but for pvpers I am pretty sure it would help us dramatically unite the pvp community. Uniting the PvP community is required. We are all segregated by leagues and Hideout only pvp chars. Trade is impossible to find PvP gear, basically pvpers have been using the forums as their main resource...its a good resource but not everyone wants to use the forums and tbh it can be very boring, still emphasizing the anti-social problems that currently exist.

Please keep voting guys, thanks!
Last edited by GrindcoreTHRALL on Mar 18, 2015, 2:30:33 AM
"
Thx again for taking the time to vote. I know it seems like it wont do much but slowly as we gain more votes and debate the ups and downs of this idea, the more apparent the demand for this feature becomes. I have not heard any logical reason for this feature to not exist. GGG has told me that its probably not worth the work. It might not be worth the work in the eyes of the PvE players but for pvpers I am pretty sure it would help us dramatically unite the pvp community. Uniting the PvP community is required. We are all segregated by leagues and Hideout only pvp chars. Trade is impossible to find PvP gear, basically pvpers have been using the forums as their main resource...its a good resource but not everyone wants to use the forums and tbh it can be very boring, still emphasizing the anti-social problems that currently exist.

Please keep voting guys, thanks!

I agree. Having a pvp instance/town may just be the catalyst to get pvp moving.
Formerly Firebrand
_Thriller_
_Boomshakalaka_
Imagine if when you made it to act3 normal and entered the Sarn Arena Pvp "town area" you got forced to read a short Leo introduction about lvl 28 dueling?

Leo would tell you that people max out level 28 characters to engage in competitive pvp,
explains that many skills and combinations are viable,
has a short explanation of crafting and farming,
explains vaaling for desirable implicits,
the importance of elreon rings or blood magic or good mana regen
- all in little sub-menus.

And he could have some clickable hyperlinks to the important forum posts to elaborate on all these points.
He could have even gear suggestions for like 5 or 6 "basic" builds that benefit from a few uniques.

Most importantly, he should explain that pvp is a rich and complex experience, and that you should be fluent with the games pve mechanics before expecting to excel in pvp.

A similar experience could be created for high level dueling once you reach act3 merciless Sarn Arena pvp area.

I think that this would take a lot of the mystery out of low level dueling, explain a lot of basic things that people enter lld without knowing that frustrates them when they get one shotted with no comprehension of why or how to improve. This might help people get over this idea of a gear check and start actually engaging and having fun.

MOST IMPORTANTLY make the Sarn Arena more social! entering and exiting notices, maybe a small social panel for who's in this instance, larger minimap visibility would be incredible too to increase engagements. The area around the arena should be in the same instance as the arena if possible, just make the area past the gate into a safe zone - kind of like stepping into town in diablo 2.
Last edited by jcostello1 on Mar 18, 2015, 10:05:05 AM
"
jcostello1 wrote:
Imagine if when you made it to act3 normal and entered the Sarn Arena Pvp "town area" you got forced to read a short Leo introduction about lvl 28 dueling?

Leo would tell you that people max out level 28 characters to engage in competitive pvp,
explains that many skills and combinations are viable,
has a short explanation of crafting and farming,
explains vaaling for desirable implicits,
the importance of elreon rings or blood magic or good mana regen
- all in little sub-menus.

And he could have some clickable hyperlinks to the important forum posts to elaborate on all these points.
He could have even gear suggestions for like 5 or 6 "basic" builds that benefit from a few uniques.

Most importantly, he should explain that pvp is a rich and complex experience, and that you should be fluent with the games pve mechanics before expecting to excel in pvp.

A similar experience could be created for high level dueling once you reach act3 merciless Sarn Arena pvp area.

I think that this would take a lot of the mystery out of low level dueling, explain a lot of basic things that people enter lld without knowing that frustrates them when they get one shotted with no comprehension of why or how to improve. This might help people get over this idea of a gear check and start actually engaging and having fun.

MOST IMPORTANTLY make the Sarn Arena more social! entering and exiting notices, maybe a small social panel for who's in this instance, larger minimap visibility would be incredible too to increase engagements. The area around the arena should be in the same instance as the arena if possible, just make the area past the gate into a safe zone - kind of like stepping into town in diablo 2.

agreed, sarn arena safe area would be sickkkkkkkkkkkkkk.
103 upvotes to 3 downvotes. Cmon GGG.

Emailed chris my idea...
Spoiler
My email to chris on Jan 14th 2016
Spoiler
Chris I dream of a way to separate the toxic hostility of PvE Players speaking out against GGG developing PvP instead of PvE features. We need to rebirth PvP in a new light. free of this stigma. I think Kickstarter could be a huge solution to this problem. Players will understand that the development costs were funded by the mass of players that share the dream of a PvP Town and League.

The matchmaking system has been improving and improving and seems to be a perfect match for a separate PvP instance/server/league. I think the FFA arena in Act 3 would be perfect. Extend the four gates slightly into a safe area. The safe area has merchants that vend the base items for crafting at the benches nearby, as well as Leo who hosts the matchmaking. All crafting costs are free, as is the gem merchant. All the item affixes ranges are normalized. Incorporate corruptions and other features as you see fit. When joining the league you create a new character with a designated max level that spawns into this isolated town/server. My hope is that creating a PvP Town in a separate league will change peoples outlook on PvP especially when funded through a system that's not detracting from PvE. The endless replay-ability and competitive drive this would add to the game would be astounding.

Right now PvP is pretty segregated not only by leagues, but as well as bankrolls. The entry level keeps rising as legacy affixes and unique items are created. The latest problem has been hybrid physical damage increase % has been reduced from the original value of Mercenary 's 54% to 44%. Not such a big deal but it impacts newer players as well as some veterans with this lingering feeling of inequality. The PvP Town would change this entirely.

PoE is an amazing engine with amazing art. Creating a competitive drive within this system/game would be the next level dream. No leagues separating the PvP player base, no need to trade, no need to grind for hours to compete, and balancing completely independent of PvE. The funding system you decide to use could have different tiers of donation and support granting PvP Skins or Armor Sets. Add a PvP achievement system and maybe a back attachment ranking system.

It sounds like a ton of work. I would no life on that system no complaints for the rest of my life, being the happiest person alive lol. Sorry for the long read, I have alot more to add but its already too long. Let me know your opinions!

Chris Wilson's response to me jan 13th 20016
Spoiler
Hi! This would be cool, but it's not just a matter of money. Our development staff have limited time and we're already trying to hire more as fast as we can for our existing content requirements.

I want to improve pvp too, but currently we don't have the staff resources.

My overall thoughts -
I am pretty sad that Chris starts out his reply with "We dont have enough resources" Instead of acknowledging my attempt to find a compromise on funding the development of a PvP platform. My suggested pvp realm idea really wouldnt take that much effort. I am not an expert but I do know they have most the infrastructure tattered about to actually make something like my idea work. Its almost as if he read the first sentence, saw pvp, skipped the rest, and went immediately into his reply to me about not having enough money.
Last edited by GrindcoreTHRALL on Jul 9, 2016, 7:46:02 PM
PvP is so anti social. There needs to be friendly area with an area to just free brawl and make teams and such. People being stuck in hideouts and the Troll ass pvp Queue is the thing which holds pvp back. With pvp titles or achievements, everyone would hang out and praise the best pvpers!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info