Stringing on the Kickstarter customer, or Why this game needs to die

If you record a video of yourself making an acceptance speech of your award for killing a monster to a crowd of computers, I will believe.
"
davidnn5 wrote:
If you record a video of yourself making an acceptance speech of your award for killing a monster to a crowd of computers, I will believe.
A "thank you RNGesus" thread is an acceptance speech.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
davidnn5 wrote:
A "thank you RNGesus" thread is an acceptance speech.

I have a long list of ppl id like to thank, none of this would have been possible without you all
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
Last edited by TheWretch on Mar 3, 2015, 7:11:48 PM
"
davidnn5 wrote:
I'll say it again CanHas - a game with competitive aspects is not necessarily a competitive game. Evolve is intrinsically competitive because you can't play the game without fighting another player to win. PoE is *not* intrinsically competitive because there is the option to not compete with anyone for anything.

So while GGG may tune everything in the game around an expectation of people competing, it's not remotely surprising that there's a reasonable population of people who don't generally compete and who have, surprise, views on the game.

Of course, there is the obligatory need to comment on the drive to make something intrinsic to the game (trade) without actually building in good tools for it. Consider that topic covered ;)

Edit: If my Evolve comparison is off-base forgive me; I haven't played it yet and don't know if it can be played single player. Still, the point is fairly clear hopefully.

Even if you chose not to ever trade (putting yourself at a massive handicap) and not to ever play with anyone else, you're still living in a game balanced around characters that have traded and play in groups.

Furthermore, at the risk of turning this into a desync thread, the very existence of desync and how the players are forced to deal with it, even in single player, is the most resounding demonstration of how POE has committed to multiplayer and competitiveness and completely shits on the individual. Or look at the map drop system.

TLDR if you're playing POE solo you're playing at a significant handicap whether you want to or not. That's not a choice we make when we play POE, it's one GGG designed for us.
my evasion is so high i only insta rip sometimes
-----
Bug Fixes:
People were using cyclone for actual melee builds, so we nerfed it and made blade vortex. Also, we went ahead and made cyclone great for CoC casters while we were at it.
Last edited by Legatus1982 on Mar 5, 2015, 9:23:45 PM
On the other hand, if you make full use of group play there is practically no challenge left. One could say it stops being a game then because of a severe lack of fail states. All that is left is competing with others when it comes to dps etc.
"
Jojas wrote:
On the other hand, if you make full use of group play there is practically no challenge left. One could say it stops being a game then because of a severe lack of fail states. All that is left is competing with others when it comes to dps etc.

Huh? The reason I hate playing in groups is that it's an absolute cluster fuck. It's hard to tell what's going on at any time, if the group isn't well coordinated people go which ever direction, the pain of figuring out who's curse to use. The mess of attempting hard bosses, which depend on visual cues that you might miss because of skill spam. God bless you if you're playing melee, having to go at blistering rate to feel remotely relevant while at much higher risk because you do it. Then when everyone piles on you can't see yourself in the sea of skill spam.

A well organized group of people who know how to play together will be the most successful. An average group, it's a toss up if all the advantages make up for the uncoordinated mess it usually ends up being.
Finished 17th in Rampage - Peaked at 11th
Finished 18th in Torment/Bloodline 1mo Race - peaked at 9th
Null's Inclination Build 2.1.0 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1559063
Summon Skeleton 1.3 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1219856
"
Moosifer wrote:
A well organized group of people who know how to play together will be the most successful. An average group, it's a toss up if all the advantages make up for the uncoordinated mess it usually ends up being.

That's what I meant with "full use of group play". I really wasn't clear enough there.

But my point is, if GGG designed PoE for groups they must think we're all morons. Because - considering that balance should be made with the best possible play in mind - in Poe the best possible group would cakewalk more or less everything.
So I don't think they did. I think that they try to balance both for groups and solo players, but lean heavily towards solo play because that's where the challenges are.

Last edited by Jojas on Mar 6, 2015, 1:11:50 AM
"
[Removed by Support]

How 'bout no
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Last edited by Nichelle_GGG on Oct 8, 2016, 10:26:11 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info