New Skill Development - Part 1

"
B3R wrote:
that sounds like a nice buff to incinerate - close ranged spell, added dmg buff, higher manareg buff for AA

melee rekt once again

Hold on. Any close range character takes on a risk based on where they stand. So I hope this can also benefit a point blank range caster or etc. Melee just also happens to be close range. Think risk and reward. Everyone taking that risk, deserves consideration for that reward.

I actually have the most concern for melee with the new "Bearers" in Bloodlines. Being close range means you're likely to end up standing on some at some point, and if you happen to be desynced, you might not even know it. Chaos bond also seems to be a risk for close ranged characters.

But you haven't seen the exact effect of these skills yet, so you might be making too many assumptions.
"
Chameleon wrote:
"
Rory wrote:
In addition, all enemies in the radius are taunted to attack the caster.

The last thing Melee characters need is to draw more fire. It should be "all enemies in the radius lose agro", now that would be much more helpful for melee players.

I could imagine that as more of a shadow type skill, being able to drop agro or go invis, or etc.
"
dlrr wrote:
Thanks for sharing Rory! Very interesting to read the thought process behind what's coming up.

Here are my thoughts:

- I like the idea of Inspiring Cry. It adds variety and more choices for the gem slots which is always a good thing. Life and mana regen sounds like a prime candidate for CWDT + Blood Rage + Inspiring Cry

- Warcries, as a style-of-play mechanic, doesn't fill an empty space. We have currently curses, self cast ECs/ICs, etc. Not that it's not nice to have, it just isn't a major change from what we've seen.

- There's a reason why CWDT is so popular. Casting buffs and debuffs as a style-of-play mechanic isn't exciting

- As a player, I'd be more incentivised to sacrifice my 0.5 seconds of gameplay time to cast a buff/debuff if it has a visceral impact to the screen state (eg: temporal chains / blood rage / cold snap) as opposed to one that just deals with numbers (eg: reduce resistances / enfeeble). It's just more fun, even if it is not necessarily more effective

- The current mechanic of warcries benefiting more from having more monsters around actually lessens its effectiveness as a melee boost. Melee characters have the most trouble with big bosses and these bosses may not always have monsters around to boost cries from. This probably is intended, but think it would be a better melee boost if their effectiveness were not based on monster availability. Otherwise, melee would need other ways to handle big bosses

What if you get more charges from Magic, Rare, Unqiue bosses, etc... as compared to regular white mobs? Maybe that's a thing... certainly sounds like it should be.
"
"
Chameleon wrote:
"
Rory wrote:
In addition, all enemies in the radius are taunted to attack the caster.

The last thing Melee characters need is to draw more fire. It should be "all enemies in the radius lose agro", now that would be much more helpful for melee players.

I could imagine that as more of a shadow type skill, being able to drop agro or go invis, or etc.

Perhaps the player could enter some kind of "phasing" state where they're flickering in and out of existence and enemies have a hard time keeping track of them.

And it could buff the things that shadows need, such as melee damage (to reinforce their dagger mantra) and movement speed (to get around between enemies). Y'know, "running" around.

"phasing" and "running".

God I hope GGG can make something out of that idea.
Last edited by pneuma on Feb 9, 2015, 4:44:50 PM
"
Fracture333 wrote:
you should nerf the bow passive nodes, buff the 2h weapon passive nodes, make armour the way it should be (estimated xy% phys dmg reduction at all time, regardless of the power of the incoming hit), nerf choas inoculation, fix desync, and implement an auction house. we need these things, not new skills that barely anyone will use....

I'd like to see armor become hybrid, by having it block some of the first flat damage, and also having it block some percent damage, such that it is a little less op against small hits and a little more consistent against large physical hits. But if you realize that endurance charges and other mechanics can provide percent damage reduction, then you might realize that armor might be just fine, as is.

But I'd also reduce immortal call down to 90% or 85% damage reduction, from 100%, and increase the duration granted from endurance charges or etc. (Not a big fan of true immunity to a damage type, as compared to near immunity.)
"
60x7 wrote:
So you tried to come up with an original idea, FAILED and then decided to just steal from Diablo 2 again and go with a taunt warcry? Sounds inspired...

Also if you're just going to steal from D2 again can't you just go straight to Battle Orders? The combo taunt/BO idea seems convoluted and not useful. Does any melee character really run out of mana? If so delete and rebuild. Instead of a mana+damage boost how about damage+defense or life? That would be more helpful.
Saved
Last edited by 60x7 on Feb 9, 2015, 5:41:20 PM
"
60x7 wrote:
So you tried to come up with an original idea, FAILED and then decided to just steal from Diablo 2 again and go with a taunt warcry? Sounds inspired...

but they "brainstormed"
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
Message to the devs:

Please keep one thing in mind. The opportunity cost of not attacking with your main skill. For a str based melee character with no cast speed, we're looking at a 0.5 - 1s cast time. That usually means 20k+ damage, leech, and stun/freeze forgone when casting these abilities. IMO, a skill like this CANNOT just give a buff that lasts 10 seconds.

It needs to either give a 30 second+ buff, so it functions almost as a permanent buff that you have to skillfully apply every now and then.

OR

It needs to have some tangible effect upon casting. (Maybe something like that kill streak effect in a prior league that dazes monsters.)

Anything else, and these skills will either get dumped into a CWDT setup or just forgotten about completely.
IGN: kaizary
Yay, warcrys for my ranger, maybe i can pick Point Blank and faceroll bosses even faster!
More damage and more mitgation, keep it coming!
where is my new minion ?? give us ghouls or demons please

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info